No announcement yet.

Quake Injector Alpha1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cool..so when is the "otherworldly colours" speedmap thinggie gonna be added, i want to play those w/o going though the whole "unzip/load quake/figure out names of maps/forget 3 times as i try to type them in/etc."

just wondering ;}

Comment

That's gonna take ages. Speedmaps are not currently included and I have not even had the courage to start on them. :\
      Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
        That's gonna take ages. Speedmaps are not currently included and I have not even had the courage to start on them. :\
        oh, no rush then. i was just asking anyways

Comment

By the way- some interface improvements:

-Allow resize of the 'quality rating' tab (some of the text disappears if you select it)

THere's a slight glitch in the screenshot- it seems to require me to change the window size before it shows itself.

There should be a checkbox next to the filter panel that causes the filter to instead hide either maps you have already installed- or have NOT installed (especially handy for mindlessly installing maps and then forgetting where they were).
          I think the filter should discriminate between maps you downloaded this session and those you have previously (perhaps your 'recent activity' database presented below the screenshot could feed some kind of third filter menu?

Anyway- having fun with it!
          Check out my awesome Deviant art page!
          Quake fanart (obviously included)!

http://harry-the-fox.deviantart.com/

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

I added that rating truncating issue to our bug list, it's a minor thing though.

Are screenshots never appearing right away for you? Does it work if you resize the window?

I got an idea about storing the installed-/played-date by mail and really like it. Some more filtering options are definitely on the roadmap (eg filter for maps/mods/abc).

Comment

I think within 1 week I've literally beat every Quake game on the list that had a rating above 1 bar. It was one hell of a week.

You should make a program like this for CS. That would be absolutely amazing and increadibly helpful to a lot of people.

Comment

well i do believe the source code is available, so like just bring it to a CS [counter strike?] guy who has every map available ever archived and stuff..and ..err...do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                  Thanks for the feedback.

I added that rating truncating issue to our bug list, it's a minor thing though.

Are screenshots never appearing right away for you? Does it work if you resize the window?

I got an idea about storing the installed-/played-date by mail and really like it. Some more filtering options are definitely on the roadmap (eg filter for maps/mods/abc).
                  1-Awesome

2- Correct and correct. The screenshots load- but often I only see a light-dark-grey-transient image instead of the screenshot. Resizing the shot any which way makes the image show correctly.

3- Awesome- I wouldn't mind a 'between years' filter (if we've already played some older stuff) or some negative content filters (eg maps requiring an engine I presently don't feel like using could be added so that any map/mod that mentions this engine is omitted)

Anyway, some more suggestions:

1- A really important idea- I think the Injector should have a quick-scan feature that quickly scans your Quake folder /maps and known sub-games/maps, registers the ones you already have installed into the Injector's database (lots of maps I definitely have don't come up on the Injector Library).

Minor bug-notice + Major Idea
                  2- I've noticed that some map (like Hrimfaxi's Cappuccino map) refuse to run- when I run the map, it just shows the Quake menu over a black background- of course, typing the map name manually does nothing anyway- so, therefore:
                  2.5- If a map requires a custom engine/setup (FitzQuake) perhaps the Injector should run it via that engine instead of the current standard- for that map only?

What do you think?

Comment

2) I meant if you resize the window before clicking on a map. Could you run "java -version" in a Terminal and paste the output here?

The scanning idea is brought up a lot. I think it would way too much work but maybe we'll try it in the distant future. If you have singleplayer maps that are not in at Quaddicted, I would be very interested (unless they a) are beta versions or b) are of bad quality).

The tool is aimed at one specific not yet released engine. It is very faithful but can be configured to be fancy too (QMB particles etc). It runs everything. As long as I am in charge of it, the Injector will not have anything to help other engines as that would be a headache. As of now, Fitzquake 085 should run everything fine (on Windows). I advised against using Darkplaces for playing, it is too different from a Quake engine and you will run into compatibility issues.

Comment

Fair enough- I'll do some homework (although I warn you- I've only basic experience with software language- and Java is a totally alien language to me):
                      Wait (from purely layman's testing)- the screenshot generally seems to work properly mostly, without touching the resize panel in any way..
                      Resizing and it's still working.
                      It's definitely a very vague circumstance that's causing the hickup.

A wild and totally uneducated guess is it might be the Injector, after maintaining a bigger log of all of the programs I frantically downloaded, possibly looked at (storing all data in a cache in case I bring it back up again), and starting to think it has to start going easy on memory to keep running at otherwise optimal level without straining the machine (most of these types of programs assume they're still in 1992, working on fragile machines on which display of plain-graphics could cause a crash, and therefore base performance and functions on REALLY low memory requirements- cutting frivolous excesses like pictures first when things look choppy).
                      Although I can't explain the resize-correction- it's probably that the window itself is itself, or referencing a separate program linking back to 'Windows' window program, and reloading all the data when making corrections using its own, separate processing functions from the Java ones...

Am I close?

Generally, the non-coverage issue is purely relating to maps I downloaded normally without the Quake injector.
                      Particularly, most of the Quoth maps I already had installed like Sickbase, Thehand etc don't show as being ticked in the injector. Maps I installed (or reinstalled) via the Injector always show.

And I was afraid you would be saying that about Darkplaces.
                      I'll try it out manually with Fitz.

Comment

nice stuff!!

Comment

Working...
                        X