Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spirit1dm2 -- Ultima ratio released

Hi everybody,

after many beta versions and with the help of various people, spirit1dm2 has been released.

Ultima ratio is a small and brutal one-atrium tourney map. It comes in two flavors (both included in the zip below): spirit1dm2 for Quake 1 and spiritqwdm2 for Quakeworld.

Lightning_Hunter made the excellent FrikBot waypoints that come with the map, =peg= and many others helped with countless suggestions. Thanks heaps guys! The textures shown on the screenies were made by the Quake ReteXturing Project and taken using the darkplaces engine.

Check out some videos of the map and laugh at my quake skillz:
    • Running around the map: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7eTcpYt8A0]youtube[/ame] | download (wmv, ~5 MB)
    • dfsp_spirit vs FrikBot: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE4Klhs2NQk]youtube[/ame] | download (wmv, ~5 MB)

Direct download link: get spirit1dm2 (zip, ~1MB)
    More screenies, info and readme: spirit1dm2 info

Hope you like it. Comments welcome. Enjoy,

dfsp_spirit
    dfsp*spirit
    my FPS maps

Great, good job!

The map can be played on Euroquake (bigfoot.quake1.net:26000)

say !map spirit1dm2 (messagemode, not console) to vote for it.

(I will add it to the map rotation soon -> requires a recompilation of the mod)

Comment

This is a really fun map, Spirit. I love maps that use a blue theme. I think this will be fairly popular amongst the regular Quake players. What do you plan to work on next? I hope you will release a few more Quake maps!

By the way, why is it that people feel the need to include a "1" in the title of their Quake maps? I understand when people put "username2dm1" or "username3dm1" for Quake 2 and Quake 3, but this is the original Quake! You have the luxury of leaving off all numbers! Lol, stupid nitpick of mine, but I had to throw it out there anyway.

Comment

I like the idea of DM maps that come from Frikbot waypoints and locs prebuilt.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

i think he put the 1 in just in case the other spirit makes a second dm map (which to my understanding is that he would have to make a first one also?) someday

Comment

Originally posted by metchsteekle View Post
            i think he put the 1 in just in case the other spirit makes a second dm map (which to my understanding is that he would have to make a first one also?) someday
            That is true, there being two Spirit's and all. But I've seen the "1" plenty of times before for unique names, and it always drives me nuts.

It's ok though.

Originally posted by Baker View Post
            I like the idea of DM maps that come from Frikbot waypoints and locs prebuilt.
            Well, people should spread the word that I'm willing to make Frikbot Waypoints for new DM releases, if I'm not too busy at the time.

Comment

@=peg=: Thanks, there's nothing more rewarding in mapping than seeing your maps being played! Seems I gotta practice a lot before I can play people on my own map though. 4 out of 5 times I join euroquake I get owned badly. :x Must admit I don't really know any of the maps yet...

@Lightning_Hunter: I'm quite sure I'll release another q1 map. May take some time though, gotta get some university exams done soon. But there already is parts of a layout on a piece of paper.

I didn't think too much about the number in the map's name I gotta admit. Just put it in there cause I'm used to it from q3/q2/q2w. I'm not one of the cool kits who started with q1 as you know (actually I started with Doom 1 but that's another thing). I asked spirit (the other one) about naming my maps spirit1dm* btw and he's ok with it.
              (Ofc he could simply drop the number and call his maps spiritdm* for even more confusion. :p)

@Baker: I really started mapping with q3 and compiling an aas file for bot support is very easy there, everybody does it and ships it inside the pk3. I was always annoyed that I had to search the internet for various files when I started messing with q2 and other games. Searching for lit/dlit and way files ain't fun and if you want your maps to be played you should make it easy for people to play them I guess.
              dfsp*spirit
              my FPS maps

Comment

Originally posted by dfsp_spirit View Post
                @Baker: I really started mapping with q3 and compiling an aas file for bot support is very easy there, everybody does it and ships it inside the pk3. I was always annoyed that I had to search the internet for various files when I started messing with q2 and other games. Searching for lit/dlit and way files ain't fun and if you want your maps to be played you should make it easy for people to play them I guess.
                I knew you had the Quake 3 "the bot waypoints are expected to be part of the map" mentality.

I also like the fact you included the .map file in the release and the "radar" shots. I also noticed the .lit files.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Yup, a very professional release! A good example for anyone who plans to pick up mapping for quake

Comment

Very nice indeed !
                    Good job spirit, I hope you build some more of these in the future.
                    Cant wait for this weekend to play some descend duels on that map.
                    My servers for the gamers:
                    bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
                    port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
                    Offline ATM
                    fvf.servequake.com
                    flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
                    Offline ATM
                    newdm.servequake.com
                    port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X