Flash Quake by Michael Rennie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash Quake by Michael Rennie

A guy named Michael Rennie created a version of Quake for Flash. Spirit at Quaddicted discovered it a few days ago (source code).

Try it here: Flash Quake

My Flash Quake compilation instructions and technical notes: Flash Quake Compiling @ Inside3d.com

And a X-Men: The Ravages of Apocalypse build of Flash Quake I made. That mod is a total conversion and free so it was something legal to play around with.

Play "X-Men: The Ravages of Apocalypse": XMenRavages.swf

X-Men Mod homepage: ZGE Portfolio: Games - X-Men: ROA
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

I would love to see this Flash Quake used as a browser based observer window into some of the popular server sites.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterSplinter View Post
      I would love to see this Flash Quake used as a browser based observer window into some of the popular server sites.
      I'm starting to think this will eventually happen. Not quickly, but over time.

A single frame of data from a server isn't that big. And a Flash player could download it in a few seconds (remember, DNS lookup isn't fast!).

The mechanics would make it challenging. But I think eventually it could be made to work.

As a related work:

There is a browser embeddable FireFox FTEQW client (not compatible with FireFox 3.5) that can be viewed here: MegaTF Coop Live! Beta 1024x768 (Powered by FTE and the Energizer Bunny's daddy) Only works with FireFox, not any other browser.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Even if Flash Quake never has the ability to do a TCPIP connection to a server, I would think another way of sharing a live match via web browser would be much like sharing your desktop through streaming video.

If you can get (i.e.) a virtual machine at a display resolution of 320x240 to connect to a Quake server with an observer-bot; you could use video streaming services to display what the observer-bot sees on to a web site.

Sounds simple right? hehe

Comment

hmm kinda like a mini youtube for Quake showing various online demos??
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Reading Splint's post again I get the feeling that he is suggesting using the same technology as a means of watching the action from LIVE games rather than just demos through the web browser. I must admit I like the idea in either scenario, and it would add another dimension to the server browser. Imagine the prospect of being able to flip from Shmack to Bigfoot, etc and see the action as it happens.

For new visitors to the site it might just entice them a little further in to the world of quake if they can easily see just what they are missing. This could be emphasized even further with a Qrack "viewer" providing all the extra eye candy.

KR's

Monty
            Last edited by Mr.Burns; 12-05-2009, 09:36 AM.
            Mr.Burns
            "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
            WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
            Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
              hmm kinda like a mini youtube for Quake showing various online demos??
              Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
              Reading Splint's post again I get the feeling that he is suggesting using the same technology as a means of watching the action from LIVE games rather than just demos through the web browser.
              Monty's got it. The ability to view real time gaming action in a browser window without having to launch a client.

Comment

I want a youtube for demos...attatched to the speed demos archive ala spirits
                quake injector.

Watching live games would be fun too.
                And yeah, I know I keep saying it, but I wish they would update FTEQW for firefox
                Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

Originally posted by gnounc View Post
                  I want a youtube for demos...attatched to the speed demos archive ala spirits
                  quake injector.
                  damn it. u ar stealin mah ideaz.

Actually, I am having trouble registering at SpeedDemosArchive.com to pester Stubgaard about the idea. I can't solve their "captcha".

I can't figure out what letters to type into the box. (I did register there once long ago, but I have no idea which email address I used and I switched to gmail since then).

Comment

Great idea. Forking the Quake Injector for that task (with a "local" engine) would be a piece of cake actually. But watching them right in your browser would be best of course. Maybe one could have the swf locally and make it fetch the demo files through a ajax something?
                    Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

live-feed sounds easier and more practical,by simply having the observer-bot observe random players of any given game going at any time and feed it via something like GamerOSD . This sounds like a spectacle to bring in new players, because you can showcase the top players and all of Quake's frantic and hectic gameplay,with todays engines.

ASUS , I could try setting this up as a fun test.
                      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

can i still see it without an asus card?

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                          Actually, I am having trouble registering at SpeedDemosArchive.com to pester Stubgaard about the idea. I can't solve their "captcha".

I can't figure out what letters to type into the box. (I did register there once long ago, but I have no idea which email address I used and I switched to gmail since then).
                          Their captcha is stupid. You have to put in ONLY the letters that are replaced with underscores: sda.
                          dfsp*spirit
                          my FPS maps

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                            A guy named Michael Rennie created a version of Quake for Flash. Spirit at Quaddicted discovered it a few days ago (source code).

Try it here: Flash Quake

My Flash Quake compilation instructions and technical notes: Flash Quake Compiling @ Inside3d.com

And a X-Men: The Ravages of Apocalypse build of Flash Quake I made. That mod is a total conversion and free so it was something legal to play around with.

Play "X-Men: The Ravages of Apocalypse": XMenRavages.swf

X-Men Mod homepage: ZGE Portfolio: Games - X-Men: ROA
                            This isn't really Flash Quake. It's just Quake in a browser really. If this really is Flash, then how the hell did he do it?!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                              live-feed sounds easier and more practical,by simply having the observer-bot observe random players of any given game going at any time and feed it via something like GamerOSD . This sounds like a spectacle to bring in new players, because you can showcase the top players and all of Quake's frantic and hectic gameplay,with todays engines.

ASUS , I could try setting this up as a fun test.

An observer-bot is a good idea but to have it broadcast live feeds to a browser would be cool just so that its not only random skipping around footage of people playing... it would be cool if the browser where people watch this had controls for their views of what the observer bot sees like they could switch it to eyecam,3rd person,wall cams,fly around cam, eagle-eye cam, etc.. each individual viewing from the site could pick any different view they like etc.. idk if any of that would be possible but it would be cool, also if it is possible to do any of that then to record playable demos for quake or .avi;.mpg,.mp4,.mkv etc.. movies from the webpage and from the specific view.

Comment

Working...
                              X