No announcement yet.

Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello guys and Seven! Tell me please,does it exist a som version of your mod but only with vanilla monsters but with all the misc effects? I'm sorry but I would like only the original monsters, it's really? Thank you in advance)

Comment

• Originally posted by FallenAngel View Post
      Hello guys and Seven! Tell me please,does it exist a som version of your mod but only with vanilla monsters but with all the misc effects? I'm sorry but I would like only the original monsters, it's really? Thank you in advance)
      everything in the SMC is configurable through manually editing the smc_config.cfg file,
      which can be edited with any plain text editor like notepad, word or notepad++

all the settings to enable/disable the new monsters are found near the top
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Hello Mr.Burns,

Thank you for your reply.
        You maybe have noticed, that the "war cry" feature found its way into the SMC v5.35.
        The download link is in post #2661
        It was reworked since the WIP version you played. The change log is included in the download. See if you like it, if you want.

I myself also think that it fits quite good into Quake. As long as it is not overused and gets old quickly.

Regarding multiplayer:
        I think this will not happen as it would need quite a lot extra rework and time is not on my side. The idea behind this small mod compilation was to be a SP mod that can be used together with existing maps. I myself am not a multiplayer, so I didnt test it in that mode. It works though (means it will not crash your engine in multiplayer) but I have heard that timing will get out of sync when you play it a while. For now, SMC is single player only.
        But thank you very much for your offering.

==============================

Hello FallenAngel,

I am sorry for late reply. My pm box seems to be full and I do not visit quakeone on a daily basis any longer. But every 2-3 days I check in and see whats new, so.

Regarding your questions:

1.) Custom decoration/assets:
        The smc allows to use extra decorations with/without collision, animation, etc. via .ent files. You will find a LOT of those in my youtube clips. Reason why I use so many is: I am obviously crazy and like to tinker with new things.

There are several posts in this forum with screens and download links for ready to drag & drop models that I placed in different original maps.
        Some of them should be: here and here
        I am sure there are more, but I am too lazy to search now. You will find many of them when browsing through my youtube page/clips: https://www.youtube.com/user/seven007009/videos

Darkplaces allows you to use a lot of model formats. So you should be able to bring any model you want into the game... If you have specific questions, do not hesitate to ask.

2.) SMC versions with only original monsters:
        Yes, you are lucky. All versions support this.
        It seems to be the case, that you did not read the included readme.txt
        After you read it, you will be able to adjust the SMC to your personal liking. I promise !

Nevertheless, I attached a smc_config.cfg to this post that you can use together with your SMC v5.32/5.35. Please find it below. All the new monster types will then be disabled and you only play with original ones. Extract the included file and put it where your SMC is.

Please also read the included Excel file in your SMC download to learn more about the new monster types and how often they are used in maps...

Have fun with the Small Mod Compilation.

Best regards,
        Seven
        Attached Files

Comment

• Hello Talisa and Seven, forgive me for carelessness and thank you for your help I am happy that there are good people.

Comment

• Wazzup friends, it's me again ) tell me please, what are the conditions for the spawning "Evil Faces" ?) I set cvar in SMC in 2 position for this monster, but he dont spawning for me What am I doing wrong?

Comment

• Hello FallenAngel,

First of all, did the attached smc_config.cfg help you ?
              Did it work as it should ?

Regarding your question how to enable the "evil face" monster:

1. Start your Quake with enabled SMC mod
              2. Start a new game (you will start in the "start" map (skill and episode selection map))
              3. Walk towards the bridge in the middle of the room (normal skill setting)
              4. Shoot the evil face texture left or right near the bridge.
              --> Nothing should happen (that is the default setting in the smc)

Now,
              5. Open your console by pressing "tilde" key (beside your "1" key)
              6. copy this text (strg+c) and paste it into your console (strg+v):
              Code:
              evil_faces 2
              7. Press "Return" and close your console by pressing "tilde" or "esc" key
              8. Now shoot the evil face texture left or right near the bridge again
              ---> Now the monster should spawn.

If that works, everything is OK.

You can now close your Quake and edit the smc_config.cfg which is directly in your smc mod folder ! (use the one attached from yesterday as base).
              Set all the evil face properties as you want/like. As well as all other SMC features of course. All features are described directly behind the cvar for your convenience.

Next time you start your Quake, you do not need your console, as all settings will be loaded from smc_config.cfg on startup.

Kind regards.

PS: Be sure to set "Particles Quality" to 3 or higher in your "Customize effects" Darkplaces options menu.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                Hello FallenAngel,

First of all, did the attached smc_config.cfg help you ?
                Did it work as it should ?

Regarding your question how to enable the "evil face" monster:

1. Start your Quake with enabled SMC mod
                2. Start a new game (you will start in the "start" map (skill and episode selection map))
                3. Walk towards the bridge in the middle of the room (normal skill setting)
                4. Shoot the evil face texture left or right near the bridge.
                --> Nothing should happen (that is the default setting in the smc)

Now,
                5. Open your console by pressing "tilde" key (beside your "1" key)
                6. copy this text (strg+c) and paste it into your console (strg+v):
                Code:
                evil_faces 2
                7. Press "Return" and close your console by pressing "tilde" or "esc" key
                8. Now shoot the evil face texture left or right near the bridge again
                ---> Now the monster should spawn.

If that works, everything is OK.

You can now close your Quake and edit the smc_config.cfg which is directly in your smc mod folder ! (use the one attached from yesterday as base).
                Set all the evil face properties as you want/like. As well as all other SMC features of course. All features are described directly behind the cvar for your convenience.

Next time you start your Quake, you do not need your console, as all settings will be loaded from smc_config.cfg on startup.

Kind regards.

PS: Be sure to set "Particles Quality" to 3 or higher in your "Customize effects" Darkplaces options menu.
                Hello Seven!! Yep,your new cfg a lot helped me, big thank's! Forgive me, I was inattentive and did not read all the files "Readme" in your mod. Now I have learned to adjust everything yourself.
                About "Evil Faces": thank you, i don't now that need shooting face textures, now this bad heads work
                Seven, I have another small question. I can't to intall this g_shot model for shotgun http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...tml#post158835
                Axe and armor nice work for me, but shotgun does not work. What could be the reason for the failure?

Comment

• Originally posted by FallenAngel View Post
                  [...]
                  Seven, I have another small question. I can't to intall this g_shot model for shotgun http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...tml#post158835
                  Axe and armor nice work for me, but shotgun does not work. What could be the reason for the failure?
                  Hello FallenAngel,

The culprit for not seeing a particular model in the game is that you already use another external model with the same name. And that one is overriding the other one.

You must know that Darkplaces follows specific rules regarding external files.
                  Due to the fact that you have several possibilities to bring external files into your game:
                  - via .pak files
                  - via .pk3 files
                  - via subfolders
                  the engine needs/has rules how the priority should be handled.

In your example, the g_shot.mdl file:
                  You must have a file with this name already in one of your external archives/subfolders.
                  My first bet is that you might using the weapon sample package that is optionally included in the SMC download. This one has a g_shot.mdl.

So, you can either delete the g_shot.mdl inside the SMC weapon package (its inside the /progs folder), or you could add a "z" letter in front of the new g_shot.mdl .pk3 archive so that it will be loaded after the other .pk3 one.
                  I am NOT a friend of the latter option, as it brings a high risk of overriding model textures and so later on. It only confuses things and should be avoided.

Unfortunately some people in this forum release external asset packages with "zzzxxx" in their .pk3 name to try to prevent this. But that is quite nonsense. You either know what external files you are using or you do not. The next one will have "zzzzzz3456" in its name and that is real fun.

So, to summarize:
                  Delete your other g_shot.mdl and you are good to go. Try to always have only 1 external file with the same name in your Quake (if you need/want externals at all). And always try to keep the overview of your files.

Best of luck,
                  Seven

Comment

• Seven thats ok, problem with g_shot is solved Thank's.
                    Last edited by FallenAngel; 04-11-2016, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• Hello,

The development on the Necromancer makes progress.
                      I decided to give him these attack abilities:
                      1.) summon evil reinforcements/minions
                      2.) instant hit rays
                      3.) mildly homing animated skull

to 1.) He, as a flying creature, can summon other flying creatures. You decide via cvar which ones. You can choose between:
                      Wizard (low threat)
                      Afrit (medium threat)
                      Reiver (high threat)
                      His summoning animation takes some time, so you have the chance to kill him before he ends his evil ritual.

to 2.) Instant hit means an attack that instantly reaches the enemy (like lightning gun). This attack is depending on distance towards enemy to make it not unfair. It has a nice new particle animation + ray/wave

to 3.) A new animated skull model will midly home you (adjustable via cvar)

================================

Jeank has contacted me via pm with several questions regarding the smc.
                      I would like to answer some of them in public, as they surely are interesting for a larger number of people.

A) It is possible to have all weather/map effects in 1 .ent file and choose which one you want to see in-game via cvars. So, you can combine all the optional .ent files, wich are included in the SMC download, into 1 per map.
                      Put all the snow, rain, fog and custom map particles into 1 [map].ent file, then choose which effect you want. It is also described in the smc_config.cfg:
                      Code:
                      "cl_particles_rain" "1"			//  0= disable rain in maps     1= enable rain in maps	  ATTENTION: rainy .ent files are needed for this effect (included in the "small mod compilation" download)
                      "cl_particles_snow" "1"			//  0= disable snow in maps     1= enable snow in maps	  ATTENTION: snowy .ent files are needed for this effect (included in the "small mod compilation" download)
                      "r_drawfog" "1"				//  0= disable fog in maps      1= enable fog in maps		  ATTENTION: you can set fog via the "fog" command in-game or by using foggy .ent files (included in the "small mod compilation" download)
                      set cl_particles_custom_effects 1	//  0= disable custom particle effects in maps     1= enable custom particle effects in maps	ATTENTION: custom particle effect .ent files are needed for this effect (included in the "small mod compilation" download)
                      Be aware that some of them need a map restart to take affect.

B) Creating "Presets" of SMC features.
                      Due to the huge amount of adjustable SMC features/cvars it might be a good idea to create presets (like DP and FTE have for graphic options).
                      Unfortunately it would need engine code changes to bring new menue items into it.

Otherwise one could create different smc_configs:
                      - smc_config_faithful.cfg
                      - smc_config_full-features.cfg
                      - smc_config_indiv-features.cfg
                      And manually rename them before you start the engine to: smc_config.cfg

Another way would be to create different quake.rc files and set which config file to load last, but that is basically the same as option 2.

Another option, which would be most user friendly and easiest would be to use a .batch file. The engine will be started via that .batch file and you will let the player decide which preset to choose. The batch file will then automatically rename the corresponding .cfg to smc_config.cfg and the engine will start with the correct settings. Everytime you start your Quake you can decide differently

Kind regards,
                      Seven

Comment

• Awesome news about the Necromancer Seven! I like the idea of weather ent for individual maps too!

Thanks for all you do my friend!

Comment

• The summon evil reinforcements sounds interesting. i would suggest maybe adding zombies to the list. so he can raise the dead and have them start as laying down.

thanks for your help on the 3d thats just what i was looking for. it changes the prospective of the game a lot. when you are in a place where the ceiling is right at your head you can feel that you are in a small tight spot. im glade DP has added this. there is an offshoot of a different engine i have seen videos of but the smc would not have worked due to my computers lack of kick ass power i was only able to run small maps with out getting a big loss in fps. thanks for helping me out where did you find the information?

Comment

• Originally posted by gdiddy62 View Post
                            Awesome news about the Necromancer Seven! I like the idea of weather ent for individual maps too!

Thanks for all you do my friend!
                            Rain for individual maps:
                            I think you mean fan-made maps (not id1 or mission pack ones). You need to enable this cvar to have universal rain/snow in every map:
                            flying_dust_type 3
                            or
                            flying_dust_type 4
                            Try it. It is a bit like an easter egg of SMC

To have real weather effects in fan-made maps you need those neat/lovely .ent cubes. There is a tutorial how to create them somewhere in this forum.

Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post
                            The summon evil reinforcements sounds interesting. i would suggest maybe adding zombies to the list. so he can raise the dead and have them start as laying down.
                            It is a bit more tricky to spawn walking monsters compared to flying ones. The space around is simply more open up there. As well as the fact that the spawner is moving slowly and the logic to check for sticking in meshes is more robust. But I will look into it.

Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post
                            thanks for your help on the 3d thats just what i was looking for. it changes the prospective of the game a lot. when you are in a place where the ceiling is right at your head you can feel that you are in a small tight spot. im glade DP has added this. there is an offshoot of a different engine i have seen videos of but the smc would not have worked due to my computers lack of kick ass power i was only able to run small maps with out getting a big loss in fps. thanks for helping me out where did you find the information?
                            The unique feature of DP for helping everyone who is in need: "apropos"
                            It initially takes a lot of time for the engine dev to write a description of every cvar/command but it pays as soon as a user searches for a solution. You can search for wildcards that even is not included in the cvar/command itself and will still find it. It helped me more than I know and it even works with auto_cvars. Amazing.

===========================

Hello,

Anyone brave enough to texture this model ?
                            [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvu62viKgyQ[/ame]

Please contact me and call: 555-I-LOVE-QUAKE
                            Otherwise I will try my very best...

Kind regards,
                            Seven

Comment

• Hi Seven, just got to trying out your awesome compilation. I downloaded the rar file and ran fteqccgui just fine. I have noticed though that running the latest version (win64-ftegqqcui version 1.3, I like it because it has grep), I get an error "Too many types/Error in hknight.qc on line 1477". I've forwarded it to Spike (though honestly, it may be because its the 64 bit version).

Also, I see your weapon recoil consists of merely pushing the player back. If you are interested, I have a hacky solution for adjusting the player view angles to simulate actual gun climb (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Yvjbq47z4) I'd be happy to share with you.

Also also, where can I download the associated models/PAK file if y'all don't mind my asking?

EDIT: As Six-Soota pointed out in another post, this tutorial already exists, and I am merely reinventing the wheel (thank you Six-Shoota for the link http://www.moddb.com/games/quake/tut...-quake-shotgun)...

Comment

• Hello bloodsnipe,

Actively developed compilers are great. Sometimes bugs get fixed, sometimes bugs gets created. It is in the nature of itself.

I myself use a more than 5 year old version of Spikes compiler. I use the compiler to compile, not to code. I am the only person in the world that uses Beyond Compare 3 to code. That is one of the reasons why I am a poor coder. But I get things done in the end anyhow and that is most important

Quake is a fast paced game. That is the nature of Quake. It is a fps that aims at fun, spooky maps. Unrealism is important in Quake. You carry all types of weapons and massive ammo with you and when you get hit by an enemy projectile you dodge and run and shoot back

Adding Counter-strike technics into this game does not fit in my humble opinion. Slowing done movement when you get hit or gun climb when you shoot so you have to release the trigger every second fits better into other games in my opinion.
                                Except when you create a dozen of maps and a complete reworked weapon/enemy code base it might fit into the Quake univers, so.

Pushing the player back when shooting is at least better than pushing im forward and it is just enough "realism" to not disturb the fluent gameplay and nature of this game.

I am an old fart of Quake, so I know almost all of its mods and also the moodb.com pages. I created the SMC weapon recoil system as it is on purpose (see my comment above) to not change the initial gameplay but to bring some neat things/features into it.

Regarding your mod project:
                                You maybe are aware that there already is a Quake mod available that adds the kind of realism that you are working on: Navy Seals
                                It was done by Gooseman. The person who invented Counter Strike.
                                It has all you should like (iron sight and this kind of stuff), so you should download and play it.

A hint: You should not edit the players config with your mod. If you edit the fov within your mod there is no way (without using advanced engine specific extension functions) to bring them back to the initial values. Many players use different fov than 90.
                                Thie below short clip shows how iron sight can be done with advanced engine extension: DP_VIEWZOOM
                                This extension will leave the fov and mouse sensitivity of the players config alone and creates the iron sight effect independently !
                                It is just a quick and rough example without additional view weapon model. I was just playing around with iron sight when the discussion came up in a threat some years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wytp4Gc-uQ

The SMC uses DP_VIEWZOOM for various new features. The source code of SMC is included in its download. If you need examples. Be aware that because of the massive usage of extensions it is only compatible with Darkplaces and partly FTE.

Regarding your question about "associated models/PAK file":
                                I do not fully understand your question. If you downloaded the SMC then you also download all files you need. That is why it is a quite big download.
                                But maybe I misunderstood your question

Comment

Working...
                                X