Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello xolve,

There are weather .ent files for the complete ID1 game (all 4 episodes).
    I didnt include the ones from episode 3+4, because I didnt make them myself.
    You can download them here (in 2nd post): click
    And for mission pack 1, splitterface is doing them (almost finished): click

Reading your sentence with "acid" splash I realised that I forgot to extend the watersplash code for slime as well !
    Somebody should slap me for this

Anyway, I am lucky because I have to make a V3.51 because of the weapon recoil anyhow. So I can add the watersplash to slime pools too.
    Then we will have it for all liquids.

Next is to create V3.51 for both mission packs.
    After that I can finaly make a small party

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
      After that I can finaly make a small party
      I think me too. The winter is coming and i'll have time to replay the original + the mp's with your beautiful effects again.

Comment

• *Sorry for offtopic*

I´d like to post this, because people asked me to.
        If someone wants to have his v_weapons on the right side (like in more recent shooters),
        you can do it by moving the models angle/position via QME for example.
        But the projectiles will still be spawned from the center.
        To move them to the right side as well, you can do this:

Example is for grenade launcher (you can do it for all other weapons too):

In "weapons.qc" find function W_FireGrenade()
        At the very end find this line:
        setorigin (missile, self.origin);
        Replace it with this:
        // moves the projectiles origin to the right
        local vector shotorg;
        shotorg = self.origin + self.view_ofs + v_right * 6 - v_up * 6 + v_forward * 15;
        setorigin (missile, shotorg);

Edit the offset values to match your weapons mouth.

Comment

Hello xolve,

There are weather .ent files for the complete ID1 game (all 4 episodes).
          I didnt include the ones from episode 3+4, because I didnt make them myself.
          You can download them here (in 2nd post): click
          And for mission pack 1, splitterface is doing them (almost finished): click

Reading your sentence with "acid" splash I realised that I forgot to extend the watersplash code for slime as well !
          Somebody should slap me for this
          Yar, thanks for those ent files.
          Maybe I was looking at water in a green-ly lit area
          Any idea what's causing the death animation weirdness?
          There is no Dana, only Zuul

Comment

• Hello xolve,

Yes sure:
            1.) Ancient ghosts of the fallen:
            - go into function ghost_die0 () inside ghost.qc
            - find the line:
            self.origin_z = (self.origin_z -30);
            - adjust the offset value till you are satisfied
            - This value should make things better:
            self.origin_z = (self.origin_z -25);
            Reason behind this offset is that the ghost shall crack out of the corpse.
            The corpse usualy lies on the floor (that is why I had to add an offset)
            I never experienced issues like a sticking ghost in the floor, only in one map where the zombies are coming out of graves.
            The graves are higher than the ground, that is why sometimes it got stuck there.
            But in other places it worked.
            Anyway, this change will be implemented in V3.51, which is already done, but is waiting for release till mission packs are done too.

2.) Vengeance of the deceased:
            - I am not John Carmack

Regards,
            Seven

Comment

Hello xolve,

Yes sure:
              1.) Ancient ghosts of the fallen:
              Reason behind this offset is that the ghost shall crack out of the corpse.
              Occurs pretty commonly for me, but only with zombies, blowing them up with grenades. If you set their default death to ancient ghost, you'll see it after a level or two. They stay non-translucent and just rotate on the floor. Maybe something to do with the origin point (central gib?) getting slightly lower into the floor than it should be or whatnot. Don't know!

Originally posted by Seven View Post
              2.) Vengeance of the deceased:
              - I am not John Carmack

Regards,
              Seven
              Lol true dat If there is a value to essentially make any given model 'noclip' (ie. no interaction with other objects other than light-wise, object passes through other objects), as such, that could probably solve both issues.

Comment

• Hello xolve,

unfortunately it is not as easy as this i guess....
                The skull is following the player (just like the Vore´s homing attack).
                If it touches a mesh it shall vanish, shouldnt it ?
                Otherwise it would fly right through it and will always get you.
                I was happy like a child once I finaly got it to follow the player AND keep facing him all the time. That was really hard for me.
                In the end the skull works as I wanted to.
                And the sound vanishes together with the model.

Except the rare cases, where he lost contact towards the player.
                Then it can happen that you hear the sound for too long.
                That can be reduced this way:
                Open file "skull.wav" in an editor and make it shorter.

Now regarding the gravity and its influence to new function weapon recoil:
                If you like what you have in E1M8, then you should try (just for fun) this:
                Open any map and type into console:
                sv_gravity 400 (default is 800)

And you will have double fun

@ all

Please write a short post if you have a new idea/wish that you want to see in "small mod compilation".

My plan for V3.51 is to add one more little thing:
                Spawn "chunks" after explosion boxes have detonated (quantity related to size).
                (I dont know if "chunks" is the correct word in english)
                A little bit like gibs spawn, when you gib a monster with rocket launcher.
                Other than that, I have no new ideas.

Best wishes,
                Seven

Comment

• chunks = debris.
                  Scout's Journey
                  Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Hello xolve,

unfortunately it is not as easy as this i guess....
                    The skull is following the player (just like the Vore´s homing attack).
                    If it touches a mesh it shall vanish, shouldnt it ?
                    Otherwise it would fly right through it and will always get you.
                    I guess theres two ways of doing it - either it passes through objects like a ghost would, and just fades out & ends after a short distance (so you have to keep running from it), or you way, and the advantage of doing it your way is that it's easier for the player to get away from in certain situations (which is important if you have damage on).
                    However, if you slowed down the skull, and made it pass through objects, and made it go for a shorter distance you won't have the problem of it getting lost/stuck, and it could still be easy enough for the player to get away. I kind of like the idea of a slower skull, but, horses for courses.
                    Either way, pretty cool...
                    Also I found a place which triggers the stuck ascendance scenario reasonably often - in e3m3 there's a elevated section with three zombies in it just over some grating. If you stick them to always ascend, you can trigger the scenario pretty easy - may take a few tries, seems to depend where the gibs go.
                    I'm guessing the gibs go down through the grating and then the ascending skeleton rises and just sticks at the top of the grating.

Incidentally, will be releasing my alternative music replacement pack for quake1 some time in the next couple of days.

Comment

@ all

Please write a short post if you have a new idea/wish that you want to see in "small mod compilation".

My plan for V3.51 is to add one more little thing:
                      Spawn "chunks" after explosion boxes have detonated (quantity related to size).
                      (I dont know if "chunks" is the correct word in english)
                      A little bit like gibs spawn, when you gib a monster with rocket launcher.
                      Other than that, I have no new ideas.

Best wishes,
                      Seven
                      Some sort of a laser aiming point for the shotgun/double barreled would be very cool And if possible it should shutter showing us that Ranger is a bit nervous in these situations, and increase/decrease the laser dot in size when moving closer to a obstacle.

Souvenirs d'un autre monde

Comment

• Thank you gb for your translation help

@ xolve
                        THIS "progs.dat" should solve your zombie issue.
                        Please try it and tell me if you still have "stucks".
                        If not, I will implement this condition into the final release: Download

@ Ghostbreed
                        A gun with laser pointer is a modification of the v_weapon itself.
                        This can be done by adding a flat "mesh" on the mouth of the gun and use a texture with full alpha, except one red line in the center.
                        Due to the fact, that every available replacement weapon has a different model and coordinate position of its mouth, this should not be done via "small mod compilation" (which is + should be weapon model independent).
                        But thank you for your suggestion.

Regards,
                        Seven

Comment

• neh i personally dont like the idea of adding laser sight to weapons in quake, wouldnt fit in quake at all imo

however it did give me another idea!

what if the crosshair would automatically become smaller if the item aimed at is further away? you know, like make it shrink a bit according to distance of aimed at object? and with a limit of course of how far it'll shrink like half the normal size so it doesnt end up being tiny if the aim is at something real far away
                          kinda like in serious sam for example, which also has this

i dunno, just a random idea, could be cool maybe to have this
                          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                            neh i personally dont like the idea of adding laser sight to weapons in quake, wouldnt fit in quake at all imo

however it did give me another idea!

what if the crosshair would automatically become smaller if the item aimed at is further away? you know, like make it shrink a bit according to distance of aimed at object? and with a limit of course of how far it'll shrink like half the normal size so it doesnt end up being tiny if the aim is at something real far away
                            kinda like in serious sam for example, which also has this

i dunno, just a random idea, could be cool maybe to have this
                            That's how it is in L4D2. I changed it in L4D2 so it behaves like in Q1 (static).

Comment

@ Ghostbreed
                              A gun with laser pointer is a modification of the v_weapon itself.
                              This can be done by adding a flat "mesh" on the mouth of the gun and use a texture with full alpha, except one red line in the center.
                              Due to the fact, that every available replacement weapon has a different model and coordinate position of its mouth, this should not be done via "small mod compilation" (which is + should be weapon model independent).
                              But thank you for your suggestion.
                              Aw, that's bad Thanks for informing me though!
                              Souvenirs d'un autre monde

Comment

• *sorry for offtopic*

Hello,

while searching for suitable models for the explosion box´s debris,
                                I stumbled upon some really nice looking other models and could not hold myself back.
                                I glued them somewhere on the start map and recorded a little clip.

As far as I have understood the readme´s, these are free to use models.
                                If anyone is interested/needs some of them, just say a word.

Regards,
                                Seven

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivDInWz4--I]crazy start map - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                                X