X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MadGypsy
    replied
    add on idea:

When the ghost copies hit you and become smoke a small particle is created and begins to drift back to the host (think God of War but slower). There is your timing. When all 4 particles have reached the host he can send another attack. With the proper weapon ?RL/war cry amount of nails? you can knock the host back, giving you a hair extra time before his "spirits" can re-empower him.

note: of course the host doesn't just stand there and let you nail him while he is between attack phases. He moves side to side a lot and has the ability to teleport small distances, with LSD traces that indicate his initial teleport trajectory.

speaking of "the host", that would also be a good name imo. The Host. With him never really dying and re-confronting you throughout the level it is sort of like he is your host. Also, he has 4 attack spirits in him which also makes him a host. IMO he also looks like he could be hosting something... a sacrifice, Lady Gaga concert, something evil.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 03-09-2016, 06:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MadGypsy
    replied
    just my two cents but, instead of giving the new model an attack based off of existing attacks, what if he attacked by cloning himself and all clones rush you, get a hit and disappear in a poof.

To be much more descriptive:

He raises his arms which puts up a shield for a moment. 4 copies of himself separate from him as the origin. They file out to his sides. His arms drop, the shield drops and all 4 clones fly straight into you screaming. When they reach you they disappear in a puff of smoke but not before taking some health. There should be no possible way to outrun, dodge or otherwise evade the ghost attackers. The skill comes in timing your attacks to take the most health before he raises his arms (hence raising his shield). Upon defeating this enemy you are awarded a 25 health pick up. Each cycle of ghost attacks should take 25 energy... with the understanding being that you should be able to defeat him before a second ghost attack. If so, you basically lose nothing, if not, you start to lose energy that you will not recover in this battle.

This enemy should also never really die. The story being that when his energy is very low he disappears for recovery and will reappear randomly in the map (based on your xyz, so not that random) after his recovery time has been reached. Your kill count goes up 1 for every time you dispel him though. If you dispel him X times you unlock a secret... like maybe some ammo for a low weapon or the next most powerful but currently unheld weapon in your cache. Something that is determined upon your inventory.

You could even treat it with almost a gambling aspect. You keep sticking in bullets (money) and you may get back an upgrade to your inventory or you may get back total BS...like rotten health or an axe, something you don't want or already have.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 03-09-2016, 05:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Seven
    replied
    Originally posted by talisa View Post
    maybe a crazy idea.... but what about having him revive dead enemies?

he does kinda look like a necromancer of sorts with the skull on a stick,
    and having a monster that can revive dead enemies will bring something new to quake

or another idea would be to maybe have him summon (spawn) zombies to fight for him?
    Hello talisa,

Quake is such a fast paced game that you would have killed him long time before he summoned or revived other minions I am afraid.
    That was the main issue with the gremlin from Mission pack 1.
    You probably have played through that addon and noticed that the gremlins "multiply himself when eating gibs"-feature didnt really work, as he was killed before he even reached the gibs...

But the idea is good nevertheless. Other games have it as well.
    I am just afraid that this feature will not be happen too often in-game.

Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post
    ... could you add a sound like his "war cry" when you hold the shoot button down for a extended point of time or shot off 75 rounds on the nail gun with out stopping? i thought it would be a good sound for the player that was generic like the lafe. ...
    Hello JD,

That´s also a good idea. Thank you for mentioning.
    I have made the "double-tab" gun feature for the user: Legend some time ago. So I had almost everything I needed for the war-cry. I quickly punched some lines together and made a test version for you and others who like.

Please download it from here and test it. It is of course a wip version that spawnes a war-cry after approx. 3 seconds when you hold down the fire button continuesly. I made it only work with nailgun and supernailgun for now. It has only 1 sound. Final release will have different randomly chosen ones of course.

DOWNLOAD
    (it is SMC independent and works with every engine. Source is included.)

I like the idea a lot and it fits quite good into the game.
    This is a quick playtest so you see how it looks/sounds in game (turn on your speakers ):
    The sound is a placeholder for now. LOL
    Dont take it too serious... I recorded it sitting on the toilet while having a hard time
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6wcaRAW-Ro[/ame]
    Last edited by Seven; 03-09-2016, 01:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• talisa
    replied
    maybe a crazy idea.... but what about having him revive dead enemies?

he does kinda look like a necromancer of sorts with the skull on a stick,
    and having a monster that can revive dead enemies will bring something new to quake

or another idea would be to maybe have him summon (spawn) zombies to fight for him?

Leave a comment:

• Seven
    replied
    Hello,

I am at the very beginning, so the monsters attack can be anything (that suits best).
    Yes, I agree with JD. He seems to be some kind of magician so a lighting attack would suit him.
    I always wanted to have an instant attack (like shamblers attack) that you cannot easily dodge like almost all projectile attacks.
    Some of you might remember this one from Chasm.
    It is just an example of how an instant attack could look like (I do not know if it is the correct english word):
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kOAqmT79Rw[/ame]

For the new monster I think I will try one of these:
    - Lighting attack with instant hit (little bit different to shambler)
    - Projectile attack with flying skull, as he holds a "skull on a stick" in his left hand already
    Or maybe both depending on players distance.

He sure also needs a magical-field block feature...
    Lets see how it develops.

I will leave all 3 skins in, so you can decide by yourself.

Unfortunately developing will be a lot slower now due to very small available time.

Best regards and Thank you for your feedback.

PS: Blood Vengeance, please check your pm

Leave a comment:

• gdiddy62
    replied
    I like the first one myself. I agree with Talisa..what kind of attack does this monster have??

Leave a comment:

• Legend
    replied
    Personally, I prefer the first one. The others are cool, but they look a bit too human to me. I feel something that is either more monstrous or faceless fits better with quake.

Leave a comment:

• JDSTONE
    replied
    The last skin looks the best. maybe a lighting attack would be cool with him. check out this video at the 5:40 mark. could you add a sound like his "war cry" when you hold the shoot button down for a extended point of time or shot off 75 rounds on the nail gun with out stopping? i thought it would be a good sound for the player that was generic like the lafe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqmvH_yp6oo

thankyou for looking in to trying the auto aim could you set up a "impulse 20" for all the guns? i may not use all of them but the rocket launchers would be cool that way.

Leave a comment:

• talisa
    replied
    hmm... if any id think the 3rd skin would fit in best,
    since it kinda looks like a mix between wrath from ROGUE & the disciple from heretic.

what kinda attacks does the creature have?

another addition to the airborne enemies of quake is always welcome

Leave a comment:

• Blood Vengeance
    replied
    In my opinion the last one shown is the best, somehow reminds me Shinnok of Mortal Kombat 4/X

Leave a comment:

• Seven
    replied
    Hello,

I am making tests with a new monster type for Quake.
    Probably fits into Quake universe. I am not sure yet.
    Tinkering with different skin styles...

What do you think ?
    If yes, which skin do you like the most / fits best (the clip shows 3 different ones) ?

Thank you and regards.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wq3RrGY0iI[/ame]

Leave a comment:

• Blood Vengeance
    replied
    Originally posted by Seven View Post
    Hello JDSTONER,

That toy looks like great fun and *feels* almost like a real gun.
    I am sure you had lots of fun with it
    I will look into the auto aim feature.

Hello talisa,

I added this feature as well into V5.32.
    All you have to do is set cvar: distance_scale_crosshair to 2.
    "1" lets the crosshair only react/scale on monsters and explo boxes distance
    "2" is doing what you requested in your post.
    Move the crosshair slowly along a wall beside you to see how nicely it changes its size smoothly.
    I hope setting "2" is what you wanted.

Hello Blood Vengeance,

If you take a look into the source of the smc you will see that its quite huge. It is more than 4 times as large as original Quake.
    I always add the original 1.06 source within the smc download so that you can use diff tools to be able to easily compare both sources.
    Almost all functions are edited. Some of them really heavy. Adding all smc features into Quoth would take a lot of time. But yes, it is doable.
    Unfortunately I do not have the time I used to have at the moment.
    So, a few features (like I did it in above linked download) is ok, but surely not the complete smc.

Pretty much identical to what I just wrote above.
    You know, it is very boring to copy existing features for a modder. The new ones are what makes modding so interesting. Tinkering around with new ideas and trying to make them happen in the game. That is what motivates me the most.

And you must not forget:
    With mission pack 1 and 2 you have only a couple of maps to play. While with the "Quake smc" you can play hundreds and hundreds of maps.
    That is what makes the smc so interesting in my opinion. And it will not get old.

Hello crazyboynph,

If you are talking about the smc, then you will find all the downloads in the first post of this thread. I tried to fix all existing Quake and mission pack bugs as well as Darkplaces-related gameplay bugs. Please always read the includes readme´s. They will tell you exactly where you have to copy files. There are 3 separate smc versions (you will recognize them on their file name).

There is no laser gun projectile bug in mission pack 1. Neither darkplaces specific nor gameplay specific. The only projectile bug is in mission pack 2: The plasma gun (darkplaces specific).
    So, if you encounter a laser gun projectile bug in mission pack 1, then you are playing a buggy mod. There must not be a file called progs.dat in your hipnotic folder. If you have such a file, you are most probably not playing original hipnotic.

Best wishes,
    Seven
    You are right Seven, for this reason I'm doing RTlights especially for maps with no custom prog.dat

Leave a comment:

• Seven
    replied
    Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post
    i got a set of video glasses and a mag2 gun controller and played the smc in Virtual reality to day. it was way cool the future is hear hear is a video of the gun that acts like a mouse and you can see auto aim, lock on target https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmEa44ciNq4
    Hello JDSTONER,

That toy looks like great fun and *feels* almost like a real gun.
    I am sure you had lots of fun with it
    I will look into the auto aim feature.

Originally posted by talisa View Post
    yeah that is exactly what i was talking about seven

although it would be great if it didnt only scale when aiming at enemies
    but all the time, also when aiming at level geometry
    Hello talisa,

I added this feature as well into V5.32.
    All you have to do is set cvar: distance_scale_crosshair to 2.
    "1" lets the crosshair only react/scale on monsters and explo boxes distance
    "2" is doing what you requested in your post.
    Move the crosshair slowly along a wall beside you to see how nicely it changes its size smoothly.
    I hope setting "2" is what you wanted.

Originally posted by Blood Vengeance View Post
    Yes, but I think it would be cool to have also SMC features like torch, kickable gibs, new monsters, burnable corpses, demons with fiery footprints, earthquakes and all those cool features.
    Hello Blood Vengeance,

If you take a look into the source of the smc you will see that its quite huge. It is more than 4 times as large as original Quake.
    I always add the original 1.06 source within the smc download so that you can use diff tools to be able to easily compare both sources.
    Almost all functions are edited. Some of them really heavy. Adding all smc features into Quoth would take a lot of time. But yes, it is doable.
    Unfortunately I do not have the time I used to have at the moment.
    So, a few features (like I did it in above linked download) is ok, but surely not the complete smc.

Originally posted by Blood Vengeance View Post
    I like those new features, great work! Will MP1 and MP2 SMC be updated too?
    Pretty much identical to what I just wrote above.
    You know, it is very boring to copy existing features for a modder. The new ones are what makes modding so interesting. Tinkering around with new ideas and trying to make them happen in the game. That is what motivates me the most.

And you must not forget:
    With mission pack 1 and 2 you have only a couple of maps to play. While with the "Quake smc" you can play hundreds and hundreds of maps.
    That is what makes the smc so interesting in my opinion. And it will not get old.

Originally posted by crazyboynph View Post
    thanks for the reply, Seven.

where can i download the .pak file that fixes the laser blaster from the first mission pack from having a static projectile? when the weapon is fired, the projectile does not move. i think i may have downloaded the wrong one. so assuming i find the correct file, it should go in the hipnotic folder, yes? i'm not aware that rogue has a blaster?
    Hello crazyboynph,

If you are talking about the smc, then you will find all the downloads in the first post of this thread. I tried to fix all existing Quake and mission pack bugs as well as Darkplaces-related gameplay bugs. Please always read the includes readme´s. They will tell you exactly where you have to copy files. There are 3 separate smc versions (you will recognize them on their file name).

There is no laser gun projectile bug in mission pack 1. Neither darkplaces specific nor gameplay specific. The only projectile bug is in mission pack 2: The plasma gun (darkplaces specific).
    So, if you encounter a laser gun projectile bug in mission pack 1, then you are playing a buggy mod. There must not be a file called progs.dat in your hipnotic folder. If you have such a file, you are most probably not playing original hipnotic.

Best wishes,
    Seven

Leave a comment:

• crazyboynph
    replied
    Originally posted by Seven View Post

The SMC fixes the Darkplaces ROGUE plasma projectile bug (as well as all other existing bugs) without the necessity to use additional models or files. Be aware that there are 3 different versions available:
    One for original Quake and all fan made maps
    One for mission pack 1 (SoA by Hipnotic)
    One for mission pack 2 (DoE by Rogue)

You must not put them all into your id1 folder.
    That is what you seem to have done with ooppee´s file.
    mp1 files belong into the Hipnotic subfolder
    mp2 files belong into the Rogue subfolder
    Please always read the readme´s.
    thanks for the reply, Seven.

where can i download the .pak file that fixes the laser blaster from the first mission pack from having a static projectile? when the weapon is fired, the projectile does not move. i think i may have downloaded the wrong one. so assuming i find the correct file, it should go in the hipnotic folder, yes? i'm not aware that rogue has a blaster?

Leave a comment:

• Blood Vengeance
    replied
    I like those new features, great work! Will MP1 and MP2 SMC be updated too?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X