• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cool seven, it really adds realism to the water-splashing effect

one request though... we now have water-splashes for normal water and acid,
    but no such splash for lava

it would be totally cool if you added the splash effect to lava too

but then of course make it have bigger drops and no ring,
    cuz lava is thicker of substance then water/acid.
    and make it have a more low-pitched sound 'blob' sound instead of 'sploosh'

would be totally awesomes if you could add that
    Last edited by talisa; 02-09-2012, 01:34 PM.
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Hello Seven,
      this looks great but I found one thing I donīt like.
      When you stand in the water itīs looking like this->

Shot from E1M1:

@Splitterface:
      I like your idea.
      Lavasplashes... Could be great...
      Last edited by webangel; 02-09-2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Seven - what a coincidence that as I went to check this thread
        it (Travails source being released) was top news right here on the front
        page of QuakeOne!! WOW!!

THIS OFFER STILL STANDS SEVEN - if you want hosting for your SMC or
        anything else you would normally post (rather than using rapidshare) let
        me know and I will setup a subdomain at my site just for you with ftp
        access - just let me know!! If you need me to I'll set up (and maintain
        per your instructions going forward) the page as well. I have had the site
        forever and it's not going anywhere as I host some of my customers from
        it. Unlimited space!

So you haven't played it yet eh? Well my advice is that when you do have
        time check out E2 (of the 2 episodes). Really expansive mapping. You could
        probably fit 2 or 3 standard Quake levels inside qte2m1 easily. E1 is ok but
        there are places you can get stuck as well as at least one of the end maps
        and I wasn't really impressed at all with the Azoth character skin but that
        could be changed I suppose.

Anyhoo

I am working on photographic quality books/beakers/scrolls for the library/
        bookshelf levels of E2 and plan on slowly integrating the source into your
        (Sevens) SMC if all go's well with it anyway. Primarily focusing on E2 1-6
        only for now. If all does go well I'll post a pk3 or something maybe if
        anyones interested in it (now that I have the Travail QC source anyway -
        decompiling the dat was NOT working at all with Travail).

Scotto
        Last edited by Scotto; 02-09-2012, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• Hello Seven and thank you again for your wonderful work, and everyone else involved!

Some things I would like to see added to this already awesome compilation.

Added cheats for quad damage, invisibility ring, like the kill all monsters impulse =]

A flame effect in the muzzle flashes sorta like the original sprite ones, but more subdued and particle based or something...

I second the lava splash effect, and that zombies should not take damage from lava/acid.

Furthermore, I love the new effects you added to e1m1, and yes I would love to see such things added to the rest of the maps. I really like the bubbling acid, looks great!

Finally, glad to see my work on the .ent maps not go to waste. =]

Cheers
          Regular One Man Slaughterhouse

Comment

• Originally posted by webangel View Post
            Hello Seven,
            this looks great but I found one thing I donīt like.
            When you stand in the water itīs looking like this->

Shot from E1M1:

@Splitterface:
            I like your idea.
            Lavasplashes... Could be great...
            hallo quakers,
            -
            this is exactly the reason why i deleted similar effect from my effectinfo during the development of smc. it looks good... but not always. and with different originoffset settings /ring closer to the water surface/ effect doesn't work. seems like seven had the same idea.
            -
            jakub
            my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
            Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
            Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

• Hi

this water slpash effect is nice.

you can easily fix the waves being above the suface of the water by changing the origin.

originoffset 0 0 2

regards

Sean

Comment

• Hello Ghostbreed,

It is only a very small extension of the current code to make enemies “drown” in water too.
                The bigger problem is, if you want to start the “drowning” after lets say 30 seconds in water.
                That would need an additional time function in the already existing code.

But always remember:
                Enemies are also spawned inside water on purpose on map start (they would die).
                Look in E4M7 for example: The zombies are spawned inside water.
                But other than that, it is doable.

============================

Hello splitterface,

I am at the moment not sure if the engine-driven (!) splash sound is also spawned for lava.
                Simply shoot into lava and test if you hear anything.
                Like when you shoot into teleporters, you also hear the splash sound.
                These sounds are spawned via engine. I have no possibility to avoid it with regular QC.

So if there is no sound when shooting in lava, the necessary QC change to spawn a lava-specific custom splash is only a small extension to the actual SMC code.
                But if there is a sound when shooting into lava today, I cannot change the sound. But the visual splash can be changed of course.

Hello Scotto,

Thank you for your offer, but I will stick to rapidshare for temporary download and quaketastic for final downloads.

Hello Roy Batty,

There is a cheat already available for Quad (impulse 255), new impulses can be added to weapons.qc as well.

Regarding the muzzleflash:
                Be careful with this one. The particle effect must be very quick (vanish even quicker) to avoid the issue when you are running.
                As you know, the effect does not stick to the weapon.
                I added a velocity to it, that works quite good, but it can never replace the polygon muzzleflash (in terms of sticking to the gun).
                Since V3.72 you have smoke+sparks in your muzzleflash. I fear that much bore is not doable without getting more into the “running” issue.
                But it must be tested of course.

New map specific effects are always a joy for me to do. You can realize your phantasy...
                I always do it, when I have the time for it.
                Suggestions are more than welcome for other maps.
                E1M1 is done and we should avoid to put more into this map (performance-wise).

Hallo Webangel,

Thank you for your screenshot.
                This proves that the combination works
                - Orientation oriented
                - velocityjitter 0 0 1
                - sizeincrease 20
                Even when the player moves/looks parallel to water surface, the effect is always spawned correctly.

Now back to the gap between water and wave:
                To be honest, I never tried this condition (standing in water).
                That is why we need beta testers !!

It can be fixed by changing the “originoffset” z-value.
                I used the same as the splash effect = “7”
                So please change it to a smaller z-value to eliminate the gap.

=============================

Hello Jakub,

I am happy to see you again ! I hope everything is all right.
                I was not aware, that you had a similar effect in mind…

But your post about the wave-effect is not true.
                The z-value must be reduced (no doubt about that) but the wave-effect will ALWAYS be spawned.
                The effect, that NOT always spawnes with a too low z-value are the ones with "liquidfriction" param (= splash effects).
                The wave-effect has no "liquidfriction" param, so you can even spawn it beneath the water surface

So the effect can be adjusted just fine, when you use ‘0 0 3’ or something like that...
                Then every view_angle condition will look nice (also the seldom position from webangel).

That was the “trick” I was speaking about:
                A particle orientation always parallel to water surface makes the liquidfriction param not necessary.

If nothing helps, a QC change to ONLY spawn the splash-effect, depending on your waterlevel is very easy.
                You only need to check the “self.waterlevel” and determine what to spawn and what not.
                (self.waterlevel detects how deep the player is inside the water)

Thank you all for your feedback.

All the Best !
                Seven

Comment

• seanstar and seven,
                  -
                  you both are right. i tested different values for the originoffset parm and this time it works. my mistake... i used wrong combination of parameters during a development. so now we have another nice effect :-) thanks
                  -
                  jakub
                  Last edited by jakub1; 02-10-2012, 09:05 AM.
                  my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
                  Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
                  Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

• Hello Jakub,

That was more or less luck...
                    One thing is for sure:
                    I could never make particle effects the way you do them !
                    I still ask myself, when I look at your powerup effects:
                    How on earth have they been made ?

Your effects are simply fantastic !
                    Seven

Comment

• @webangel
                      yeah, the to high spawning of splash-rings i had noticed myself too, and i had already fixed the offset of it myself

@seven
                      just tested and currently no sounds are spawned when you shoot lava.
                      so you can add the lava splash then? that would be so awesome, if you could make it spawn a blob sound and spawn a glowing orange/red splash

oh oh, another cool idea though,
                      something that id love to see done with the same splash rings that you used for when bullets hit the water.
                      could you like, add it that if you stand in the water that bigger splash rings will be spawned around you all the time as long as you stand in water? and make the same happen for enemies?

just like you get in rl when you stand in water, that you get those rings around you if you stand in water

that would be awesome if you could add that
                      Last edited by talisa; 02-10-2012, 10:13 AM.
                      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Dear all,

I am really Thankful for your feedback and support to improve this mod.

I dont have a new version for you today, but for those people, that
                        visit this thread regularly and post suggestions I want to give some things back.

Here are the new things in this small SMC-extension:
                        - zombies do not take damage from lava / acid anymore with cvar set to "2"
                        - added additional cheats for all powerups (and extended the visual+acoustical appearence !)
                        - added a corrected circular-wave watersplash effectinfo.txt

You need "Small mod compilation" V3.72 for it.
                        Please read the readmeīs...

DOWNLOAD

Thank you again for your interest.
                        Seven

PS: Still open requests are:
                        - shooting sound and visual splash for lava-surface
                        - enemies underwater taking damage from drowning
                        - add circular waves when player/enemies stand/move in water

Comment

• You are the man Seven!!

Thanks for all you do!!

Regards

Comment

• you're the king seven!

you really spoil us with so much regular updates which add even more awesome updates

you truely are the master of coding, and you are truely the greatest person on the forum and you've contributed so much to making quake even more and more kick-ass with every update

its like xmas every time we get a new update for you

Comment

• i have rygels texture pack installed, and removed a bunch of the weapon/rune/powerup textures/effects because they did not rotate or i didnt like the effects. now after installing this awesome compilation i dont see the effects that jakub made for runes and powerups.. is there something i deleted before that was needed to see the current effects? any help would be appreciated

Comment

• @kreaper
                                you have the effectinfo.txt file included inside the zip from the SMC into your ID1 folder?
                                and made sure to rename the file to effectinfo.txt?

cuz without the effectinfo.txt the effect wont work

Comment

Working...
                                X