Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by splitterface View Post
    you should really try kleshik some time, its really great. it hugely increases difficulty by adding more monsters and randomly replacing monsters with more difficult ones and such
    Hello splitterface,

The focus of kleshik and the "small mod compilation" is different it seems.
    As you know, it try with the "small mod compilation" not to change the gameplay or the difficulty. I try to implement small things, that feel as if they belong to the original game. That is why I never was interested in kleshik I guess.

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
    about the walking sounds.... here's a rar containing the ones from kleshik
    What license does kleshik use ?
    I dont see any in the file.
    Not every monster has footstep sounds. Missing:
    - enforcer
    - hellknight
    - Ogre

Originally posted by gdiddy62 View Post
    I like the transparency idea for a few of the monsters, but not all for my tastes.
    The transparency is just a gimmick. Its default will of course be 100%.
    Only if some people like to increase the difficulty or want to go for a ghost hunt, they can use this fun-feature via auto_cvar. A different cvar for all monsters is a bit overdone I guess. Or do you want to have it ? Keep in mind that the pure amount of already existing auto_cvars can be confusing at times (autoexec gets longer and longer)

Originally posted by gdiddy62 View Post
    I like the footprints but could you make the smoke adjustable too? That way people could find their own sweet spot.
    I am sorry, I do not understand what you mean (my bad english)...
    Which smoke do you mean ? The footstep particxles have only one block. No seperate smoke particles. This would impact the performance, which I do not want.
    And what does "sweet spot" means ?

Originally posted by ezzetabi View Post
    What about making transparency something like 1 - 0.2 * skill ?
    As mentioned above:
    a) The default of this fun-feature will always be disabled
    b) The "small mod compilation" uses auto_cvars that allows you to set your own game settings (just like engine cvars, but for QC), so a formula like you described is not necessary.

Originally posted by ezzetabi View Post
    Are you sure they can be used? I am interested for the iq mod.
    You can use every .wav sound in Quake. You can exchange existing/original sounds, or add sounds via QC whenever you want. You can use endless loop sounds as well as ambience sounds or standard sounds. You can use different channels for each entity.
    If you want you can look into smc source for examples of additional sounds.

Thank you for your feedback.
    Seven

Comment

• ...ok, thanks. But my question was relative to the license.

About the missing ones, I was thinking to use the soldier one for the enforcer too, same idea for hell knight and knights.
      Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

• @seven
        i dunno for sure, but i think those enemies use these:
        Footsteps.rar

id have no clue which monster uses which ones though

you'd have to inspect the kleshik qc for that, cuz i really wouldnt know

and about the license... i really wouldnt know, the pack i downloaded from quaketastic doesnt include any kind of text file about license.
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Hello Seven,
          I just meant that I like the transparency but I would only like it on a few monsters personally. I agree that your idea to scare the player is great! This is an interesting way to do that.
          For the demon footprints:
          With no smoke particles what I was thinking cannot be

"sweet-spot" would be the same as personal preference in this instance.

Keep up the ideas! I love the creativity by you and so many others on this forum!!!

Comment

• I just had a quick look into kleshik QC.
            The enforcer and soldier share the same sounds, as well as the knights and Hellknights. The ogre has no footstep sounds at all.

While reading through the codes, the way it is done reminded me very much of LordHavoc coding style. Dresk and LordHavoc seem to share many things...

With this in mind it takes only several minutes to bring monster footstep sounds into the "small mod compilation" now; because all the work has been done already. But I am still not sure to do this. This would be the first time... and it feels somehow not right.

What jumps into my eyes while reading is, that kleshik makes use of the abandoned "pull" framegroup of the ogre, which reminds me of the custom animation sequence I made several weeks ago. Travail seems to use something similar:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLV7m6FxGSw&feature=plcp]Quake Ogre animation with unused frames - YouTube[/ame]

As we see, everything we might do has been done ages ago...
            This is Quake
            ...and we are (too) late ..?..

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
              What license does kleshik use ?
              I dont see any in the file.
              Hello,
              Kleshik is GNU. See here.

Comment

• Thank you webangel.

I just read this text, when browsing your link:
                It is a great mod! Probably the number one reason it does not get greater recognition is because (last I checked over a year ago) it utilizes assets from retail mission packs (technically piracy) and community made content without permission from the authors. I only say this because I tried hosting it at public game ftps and the admin emailed me saying why he took it down. There are other reasons if you wanna PM me and I can go into details.
                I have no clue what that person meant, or if he even knew what he was writing about, but this adds another weight to my already existing uncertainness not to use anything from kleshik.

Anyhow,
                splitterface you learned today from this little excursion, how to add monster-footsteps yourself. Simply copy paste the sounds into the given animation-frame-functions. That is all you need to do.

Thank you everyone for your interest and feedback.
                It is important for me to see that there is still some interest in the "small mod compilation".

Best wishes,
                Seven

Comment

• Hi Seven,
                  you will need MP1 and 2 to play Kleshik the right way.
                  I send you a e-Mail with the right startup batch and some files.

There should be nothing illegal in Kleshik, or I donīt see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                    This is Quake
                    ...and we are (too) late ..?..
                    What? You too?!?
                    Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

• hello seven, you can add shadows to the transparent monster with the line "dpshadow" in the scripts
                      the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

• Originally posted by webangel View Post
                        Hi Seven,
                        you will need MP1 and 2 to play Kleshik the right way.
                        I send you a e-Mail with the right startup batch and some files.

There should be nothing illegal in Kleshik, or I donīt see it.

i do not wanna to enter in controversy but some sounds from kleshik sounds very similar to F.E.A.R sounds.........
                        the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

• No controversy, ``there should be nothing illegal in Kleshik'' is a correct and truthful sentence. Unfortunately many people and laws do not follow sense....

Comment

• Originally posted by nahuel View Post
                            hello seven, you can add shadows to the transparent monster with the line "dpshadow" in the scripts
                            Hello Nahuel,

I was only starring at the semi-transparent monsters, that I did not notice that they dont cast shadows anymore
                            Thank you for that hint my friend.

@ Splitterface

I will make a tiny addon to the SMC with monster-footsteps enabled for you.
                            As mentioned before, all the work has been done already, so it is just a copy / paste.

Have a nice day,
                            Seven

Comment

• yay cant wait seven

id totally love having footstep sounds in the SMC
                              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• We need good ogre footsteps sound! Anyone seek the internet for public domain sounds!

Comment

Working...
                                X