No announcement yet.

Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fighting an army of monsters on a small level! why hasn't this been discovered sooner!?
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

• nice, i like that idea seven, of being able to multiply every monster by a set amount

itll make quake harder without changing the game with spawning random monsters and such

cant it be made so that the 'cloned' monsters dont have the exact same properties as the ones that they been cloned from?
      cuz i noticed that every cloned monster in the clip seems to have the exact same skin and properties as the one it was cloned from
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Originally posted by gdiddy62 View Post
        Interesting idea Seven! Have you finished the coding for this?

Would there be a way within Qc to make the "cloned" monster transparent at random? Then this would really be scary!
        Hello gdiddy,

Yes, the coding of it in terms of how you can see it in the clip is done, but I see that all of you have additional wishes/suggestiones, so a code is never really "done".

The issue with the random transparency is, that it is not everybodys liking and making an additional cvar for it is almost impossible, because of the multiple possibilities...
        V4.12 gives the possibility to make all monsters transparent to a adjustable value (percentage).
        If you only want to have the cloned transparent, why not make all transparent ?
        Or how much transparent ?
        I think this level of adjustability is too much.

Anyhow, the "cloning" and "transparent" features should be 'fun' features, which default values are "disabled". As you know, the task of the smc is still to be subtle and keep the original gameplay, which results in the chosen "default" values.

Originally posted by webangel View Post
        Nice Seven.
        Is it possible to "clone" different skins or models?
        Hello webangel,

Hehe, if you clone a white sheep. Will it become black ?
        My original idea of "cloning" was to do just this, but now that I see that you and others have additional suggestions/wishes, I will extend this feature to spawn randomly skinned clones.
        As you know, many things are possible in qc. It is most of the time a matter of how many hours you want to spend to achive things.

Originally posted by webangel View Post
        Is it possible that we can have the vengeance sphere from Rogue in Singleplayer? Random (50% Power Shield/ 50% Sphere.?), not via .ent files?
        Possible yes, but this is not what the "small mod compilation" wants/aims for I guess. If you want to do it, it is not that difficult.
        copy/paste all powerup start functions into new named functions.
        Then redirect all original powerup start functions to a new function, which does only one thing: randomly choosing which powerup to spawn.
        This new function will then call the copy/pasted powerup function, of the powerup that it has chosen.
        That is it.

But be careful, the gameplay can become totally destroyed:
        You will get a biosuit, in a place with no water/slime for example.
        Or a ring in a area with many many enemies, which should be a quad to be able to destroy them all.

But that is just my opinion, which you know is wrong many times.

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
        cant it be made so that the 'cloned' monsters dont have the exact same properties as the ones that they been cloned from?
        Hello splitterface,

I think this is what webangel requested too.
        Yes, I will do it to make it not look like a "clone", but more like a comrade.

That is the reason why I like to show the ideas first, before a release.
        The "small mod compilation" should be used by you and therefore should include your ideas and requests.

Only last question from me is:
        If I make the clones use random skins/models, shall it by any means be different to its original, or shall it randomly be possible to be identical to its original ?
        That is a major question to define if a clone shall NEVER be identical to its original or CAN it be, if the random counter decides it ?

Of course the multiskin-cvar for each monster must be taken into account in the qc-code, because not everybody uses multiskins ! That makes it a little bit more diffcult.

Thank you for your answers.

Best wishes,
        Seven

Comment

• @seven
          yes yes i meant the same webangel meant

about cloned skins:
          i think it should happen as little as possible that cloned monsters have the same skin, so it isnt as obvious that its 'cloned'.
          if it happens from time to time its fine, but i think it should happen as little as possible to keep it as less obvious as possible that its cloned

so would be great if cloned monsters have random skins too
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Seven, just reading through your Inside3d thread.
            I like OoPpEes Idea

Whats about make some of the random textured models are randomly damaged? So some of them are running around....

About the skins:
            like Splitterface said.

Thanks.

Comment

• agree with webangel.
              it would be nice if that idea from OoPpEe would get implented which would make cloned monsters run around instead of just having all cloned monsters all stand around the one they got cloned from

Comment

• I agree with the idea of OoPpEe and like splitter and webangel think the percentage of "exact" clone should be low!

Comment

• Hello,

OoPpEe maybe forgot one thing:
                  In Quake you need a specific attacker.
                  Without a self.enemy the monster will not run around.
                  The self.enemy will turn into world and world will not be followed by a monster.
                  So who shall be the self.enemy ?
                  It cannot be the player. He is not in sight.
                  If you make the original monster (or any other monster in sight) the 'self.enemy', a fight will start between them and one will win. Then the winner will go into walk animation which will result in strange paths, because there is no waypoint given and no other enemy is in sight.

Yes, I can make a monster start to run around with:
                  self.think = self.th_run;
                  But without a self.enemy this makes no sense.
                  It will run in straight lines back and forth, because it has no enemy.

But I am not a good coder, so there may be other ways of doing it.

=================

For the interested people,

I implemented the given ideas/suggestions into V4.12 and ask you to try it.
                  - soldier shell casing
                  - nail lifetime
                  - multiply/clone enemies and make them use random skin/model

The randomness for the clones is working this way:
                  QC will check if you enabled multiskin/multimodel feature for the monster type.
                  If yes, it will use the exact same skins/models that the regular monsters use, also for the clones. So each of your available skins/models will be used randomly.
                  This means that the clone can look identical to its original.
                  It all depends on randomness:
                  If you have only 2 skins, chance is 50/50 that they will look identical.
                  If you use 2 models with 2 skins each: chance is only 25%.

If you use the included 'Starter Kit', you will have a good chance, that the clone will look divVerent.

These are the new cvars (with their defaults):
                  Code:
                  //
                  set clonemonsters 0		//  "0"= disabled   sets how many times monsters shall be cloned. "1" = will have 2 times as much monsters as original.  "2" = will have 3 times as much monsters as original.  ...etc.  Each cloned monsters will be placed randomly near its original. It has the exact same properties like original, and uses your selected multiskin/multimodel cvar.
                  set gruntcasing 1		//  "0" = disabled  "1"= enabled: grunt (soldier) monster will eject shell casings when shooting  
                  set spikelifetime 20		//  sets the lifetime of nails before they start to fade away
                  //

This is the Download (download stolen by a gremlin)

Have fun.
                  Seven
                  Last edited by Seven; 10-21-2012, 06:20 AM.

Comment

• awesome, thanx a lot seven

ive been wishing for this for quite a whole, to be able to make nails stay longer so they dun dissapear so fast

and i cant wait to try quake again with cloned monsters, im sure itll instantly be a lot harder cuz of bigger amount of enemies

Comment

• Nice Seven, the clones make the game much harder.
                      I like it.

Comment

• Fast work Seven. I will play with this when I get the chance this evening!!

Thanks for the work!!

Comment

• Hello Seven,
                          I have found a peculiarity with the clones. My grunts clone in the air and die in the air as well. Haven't tried it very long with other monsters but this is something that probably needs your expertise.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• ... looks like someone forgot a droptofloor(); code line.

I wonder who that was...

Comment

• Question: droptofloor places an object on the floor instantaneously or lets it fall on the floor (at gravity inducted speed)?
                              Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

• Hello,

Found the bug in the "clone" code.
                                No, it wasnt the droptofloor(); line as I suggested.
                                It only happened when a .md3 model is used.
                                The cloning also clones the setsize bbox, and there is a difference between original .mdl monsters and replacement .md3 monsters.

Modified the code so that will no longer happen.
                                Download link from previous page got stolen by a gremlin.

@ ezzetabi

droptofloor() is a nice little function.
                                Itīs main purpose is to prevent models from sticking in floors.

It is also used in sensible movement codes to ensure that a monster is not touching/sticking ground. Look into dog or demon for example.
                                Raise it some Quake-units in z-direction and drop it to the floor again.

The dropping can even been seen by the player, when using DarkPlaces and make use of the cvar:
                                sv_freezenonclients
                                - enable the cvar
                                - restart the map
                                - walk to an ammo box for example
                                - disable the cvar to make the world time continue
                                - and see the model drop to the floor.
                                Try it in E1M4 to see all ammo/health boxes fall for example.

The games gravity is handling it.

HINT:

If you want to play around with gravity in game (which is a lot of fun !!), take a look into my kickgibs.qc file.

You need to make use of
                                .float gravity;
                                which is not included in QuakeC 1.06. It was intoduced with the mission packs.
                                But due to the fact, that advanced Quake engines can deal with it, you can simply enable it by declaring it in defs.qc.

Then you can give your entities different gravity whenever you want.

Have fun with it
                                Seven

Comment

Working...
                                X