No announcement yet.

Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seven, must have been me explaining badly or something.
    checking cvar() is bad. cvar_string is worse (strings always are).
    but float autocvars are fast to access - direct access gives little overhead other than an extra qc opcode for the && or whatever.

you should avoid cvars in spawn functions, of course, due to saved game issues, but autocvars are always the preferable way to access cvars (assuming you're guarenteed to be running in an engine that supports them).

The ideal fix would be to use csqc, and to simply not draw the local player. which means that it still works properly in deathmatch/coop/cammed demos.
    alternatively, a less comprehensive fix for deathmatch/coop would be to use customizeentityforplayer.

really there is no truely comprehensive fix, other than to have the player model visible outside of mirrors/reflections too (with eye positions fixed to cope) which is quite an extensive change and would be kinda weird/annoying in a game.
    Some Game Thing

Comment

• Thank you Spike, for your post and explanation.
      Now this topic is solved and it should be clear how to proceed.

Regarding the "cvars in spawn functions":
      Fortunately I found a way how it still can be done and "survives" the savegame-issue we had and discussed a while ago.
      With your help and support in explaining how saving/loading works in Quake, helped to keep the randomness-feature in spawn functions in the "small mod compilation".

Thank you Nahuel for your tips.
      But this "fix" we have been discussing is only necessary for swimming situations. And even then only for specific view-directions.
      So the shadow is really not needed/affected here.
      Still, good to know that hint with dpshadow...

Have a nice sunday everyone.

Best wishes,
      Seven

Comment

• UPDATE 20130626

Quake version V4.31 Release

Updated features:
        - "Invisible weapons" feature now also work with new DP builds
        - Lowered chance for custom-death-animations appearance
        - Readjusted chance for replacement monsters appearance
        - Modified player reflection fix for new DP builds

Please find updated links in 1st post.

Hello,

I think/hope that we now caught all SMC-issues with the new Darkplaces 2013 builds.
        Next step is to bring the Mission pack versions to V4.31 as well.

Have fun with the "small mod compilation".
        Seven

Comment

• abraca-magic mirror-spell!

DROPBOX MIRROR FOR ID1 SMC V4.31
          Last edited by talisa; 06-27-2013, 07:53 AM.
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• here i go again.... i know i know.... but i must keep you busy and share my ideas for new features which i keep coming to me from time to time

FASTER SNG
            could an optional feature be added to make the SNG fire twice as fast like ID originally intended but scrapped?
            as in having it fire the same as NG but at twice as fast rate of fire? like also seen in the drake mod.

SNG would fire twice the speed it does in normal quake, uses 1ammo per nail fired and each nail does same damage as NG nail.
            so basically SNG is same as NG only fires twice as fast, just like ID originally had in mind for the SNG.
            so it wont change gameplay, but only instead of firing same rate as NG but nails do twice the damage, itll instead fire at a twice as fast rate as the NG and SNG nails do half damage they do now.

i tried looking into the QC of the drake mod but i found myself completely confused by the code
            as to how they did it cuz the drake QC seems to be complete different from normal quake QC

DISABLE DEATH ANIMATIONS IN E1M7
            in E1M7, after chton gets killed, some zombies and shamblers are tp-ed into a deathzone so they insta-gib and give the effect of 'chton splattering into pieces'.
            but with death effects enabled it looks kinda odd cuz you will see death effects of the zombies which are gibbed.

would it be possible to change something in code so death effects are disabled only for that map? seeing as you also could add custom flames in start-map,
            wouldnt it be possible to have all death effects disabled in chtons pit?

EW-SOL HELLKNIGHT ADDITIONAL
            i quite like that hellknight from the EW mod that you converted to be usable in quake,
            but i was thinking it would perhaps be nicer if it could be additional and sometimes replace the original hellknight just like you did with the zombie and the dog.
            then it could have some small changes from the normal hellknight, like when he uses that charge-attack he could push you back a bit when he hits you,
            and he could have walk-sounds which match his walk-cycle, and perhaps some additional extra little differences from the original hellknight.
            i think that would work really well, since the model fits quite well into quake but i just feel like he would work a lot better
            if he would have its own code and have some differences from the normal hellknight.
            Last edited by talisa; 06-28-2013, 02:15 AM.
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Hello talisa,

Your ideas sound very interesting !
              I would love to work on them, but they are quite special and am not sure if others would like them too.

Yes, they can be disabled by default, but lets look at this from another view-point:
              All your ideas are a perfect opportunity for you to improve your qc skills.

I bet you will have a lot of fun.
              Do not worry, here are many people who will help you if you get stuck or have questions.

Why not start a small working-thread (just like Josh did) and see how it develops

======================

Some suggestions as a "starter":

1.) Faster Super-NailGun
              That modification is easier than you might think.
              I suggest to always start with original 1.06 source.
              First thing is to completely follow and understand the original code in the source.
              Then you will most probably have little problems in modifying it.

It ALL begins in function W_Attack ()
              That is where all weapon game-mechanics start.
              You will see that Nailgun and Supernailgun use/start the same function: player_nail1 ()

So, I suggest this is the first thing you have to change, to better separate both weapons.
              Lets say, Supernailgun shall call: player_supernail1 () from now on.

Now copy player_nail1 () and player_nail2 () and rename them to player_supernail1 () and player_supernail2 ()
              In your new player_supernail functions do the edits you want to do:
              - call W_FireSuperSpikes () instead of W_FireSpikes (4)
              - change self.attack_finished to time + 0.1 (that is really fast, but you asked for it…)
              - be aware, that they call each other as second frame (end of 1st line does this)

Now, in the end, you need to slightly modify W_FireSuperSpikes ():
              - change self.attack_finished to time + 0.1
              - reduce only 1 self.ammo_nails instead of 2
              - check for ammo count less than 2, call W_FireSpikes (4) and jump out of function.
              - add makevectors (self.v_angle) in the beginning (as it needs it)
              - don’t forget to call W_BestWeapon () if your ammo is 0 and W_SetCurrentAmmo ()

Edit the damage you wanted to do in superspike_touch ()

That should be it.

2.) Skip custom zombie death animations in E1M7
              That is really easy, as you can “misuse” the already available checks in the actual code, like
              if (autocvar_zombie == 2)
              (you will find lines with checks for “3” and “4” there too)

So all you need to do is to extend these lines. Example:
              if ((autocvar_zombie == 2) && (world.model != "maps/e1m7.bsp"))

3.) New Hellknight (extended)
              That is surely the most difficult part of your ideas
              You can, as you just said, look into zombie and/or dog qc files to first of all see how it is basically done there.

a) Charge attack:
              Add a touch function to him, when the new hellknight is performing his charge-attack.
              It is basically identical to the recoil function, that pushes the player slightly backwards when shooting.
              In this touch function, the player is “other.” And the hellknight is “self”. That is the important difference.
              The rest is more or less identical.
              Do not forget to remove the touch function. Be aware, that the animation can be interrupted (with pain animation),
              so the touch function should be safely removed.

b) Modified walk sounds
              The new zombie code does exactly this. As I had to separate both zombie types because their footsteps do not match as well.
              It is more or less a simple check for self.monstermodel. You will see it in all animations. So that is done quickly.

c) Give him more abilities/features
              The original model also had animation sequences where he threw grenades. That would be a neat little addition to him.

And by the way, this model is not from Eternal War (they "stole" it).
              It is from Q2 mod: Dawn of Darkness. They are the original authors.

I didn’t test all above points, I only went through the code at the office I am working in.
              My big boss is always watching me with a rocket launcher pointing at me...

Best of luck,
              Seven

Comment

• I love that this mod never ends and just keeps going. you do a grate job pushing quake to its limits. i my self love the after death animations. and how you have the option to set some monsters to do this and some that do that. the particles are another cool thing so let me add this to the suggestion box. light the hell knight sward on fire!

talisa drake qc is confusing for a qc noob like me but the more i work with quake qc the more i have been able to understand the drake qc. if you ever get stuck on trying to find something in drake qc im always down to help you search.

outstanding work Seven! may the SMC never die and never be done!

Comment

• UPDATE 20130630

Mission pack 1 version V4.31 Release

NEW / Updated features:
                  Everything has been implemented into MP1 (Hipnotic) now.

Attention:
                  During testings in MP1, I found one more thing, that DarkPlaces builds since 20130301 have issues with:
                  Custom enforcer backpack cells

I fixed it in both SMC downloads: ID1 & MP1 (Hipnotic) now.

Please find both updated links in 1st post.

@ Talisa,

Please delete Ver.4.25 update and exchange the "old" Ver.4.31 update with the new one in the dropbox mirror.
                  Thank you.

@ Josh

Thank you. New ideas and feedback from interested people is the fuel for this mod.
                  Unfortunately a lot of people use / download the "small mod compilation" but doesnt give feedback or write comments. That is what worries me a little bit...

Kind regards,
                  Seven

Comment

• great to have all the updated features for hipnotic now too
                    cant wait till you also implent the updates into rogue, since that one is my fave <3

and of course ill create dropbox and mediafire mirrors for both ID1 & HIPNOTIC 4.31 SMC
                    Last edited by talisa; 06-30-2013, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Hi,Seven I love all of your SMC packages,it makes Quake look so great,and more modern,I have one little request,could you make some fumes coming off the slime pits,I think that would really look cool,and maybe a new teleport effect too,thanks for all your time,and effort.
                      Last edited by DogSpydr66; 06-30-2013, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• seven has included custom ent files which add exactly that which you are asking for to the slime pits in E1M1 with the smc, and a fancy effect to the slipgates
                        look into the folder 'custom particle+sound effects Updated 08-08-2012' inside the SMC rar for these ent files

also, you might like these ent files that i made: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...tml#post129831
                        adds more fancy effects to end and start maps, like haze coming from lava and such

ive also added bubbles coming from acid and all kinda other effects to a bunch of maps of MP2 ROGUE, which you might like too:
                        http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...tml#post117447
                        check that post i linked and further

Comment

• @Talisa,thank you very much for the info,and I will try out your ENT files for quake MP1.

Comment

• sures.

oh yeah i also have made ent files for MP1 as well yes, but those are only rain stuffs and no other effects. oh and i made a set of ent files which only add the starry effect to all slipgates of episode1 of MP1 now i think of it

rainy stuffs for MP1 HIPNOTIC can you find here:
                            http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...g-mp1-soa.html

and the same ent-files but with starry effect added to all slipgates of episode1 you can find here: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...tml#post121841

Comment

• Once again,thank you Talisa,you made my day.

Comment

• sures

Comment

Working...
                                X