Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @mirrorman
    ah i thought you meant normal fog for maps, which you need to use ent-files for if you wish them it to be automagically added to maps.
    I didnt realize you meant the red-fog effect for slipgates instead, i completely forgot about the existance of that effect

that would be a suggestion for seven, to add being able to also pick combinations of multiple effect for slipgates
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Originally posted by talisa View Post
      @mirrorman
      Ah i thought you meant normal fog for maps, which you need to use ent-files for if you wish them it to be automagically added to maps.
      I didn't realize you meant the red-fog effect for slipgates instead, i completely forgot about the existence of that effect

That would be a suggestion for seven, to add being able to also pick combinations of multiple effect for slipgates
      Alright, I was just asking, but I've just got to point out that I didn't mean anything before my previous post. The people who were asking about fog before my last post were probably asking about normal fog; they weren't the same people as me. The red fog question was my first contribution to the slipgate stars discussion.

By the way, I just got finished playing with Seven's new progs.dat. It's much more convenient to slice up bodies and kick their remains into acid now that it doesn't require the sacrifice of precious ammo to do so.
      Last edited by Mirrorman95; 03-09-2014, 12:48 AM.

Comment

• Hello,

First of all I´d like to say that you can pretty much add everything you want into your Quake via .ent files with external .ent files supporting engines.
        You could do this without the SMC already. The SMC gives you the possibility to go beyond this and add several models/sounds/weather/particles/animations.

So, basically there is not a question of A or B. You can do A and B and even C.

But, just like Mirrorman95 pointed out correctly:
        It is troublesome to fiddling around with .ent files manually.
        Why dont let the engine or the mod do all the job ?

As far as I understand the last posts, there is the requirement to have combinations of existing particle effects for slipgates. Actualls we have 3 to choose from:
        - "soak in" effect
        - "rising stars" effect
        - "red steam/fog" effect

If you want combinations for all of them, it would be 6. But I think "soak in" and "rising stars" makes no sense, so lets look at the remaining 5:

1.) "soak in" effect

2.) "rising stars" effect

3.) "red steam/fog" effect

4.) Combo of "soak in" & "red steam/fog" effect

5.) Combo of "rising stars" & "red steam/fog" effect

Which one should be the new default then ?
        Currently it is no. 3) because it is more subtle and not so obtrusive like the others.
        QC-wise it is no problem. It is, as always, a question of personal liking.
        Is no. 5) the new winner ?

Thank you for your feedback on this.

Best regards,
        Seven

Comment

• Hi again 7even,
          I prefere the option No 4. From the beginn. I love that subtitle effect.

As I told you in pm, thank you for your hard work on this mod. I love the axe gib feature and more.

Comment

• If we're putting it to a vote, I'm torn between 4 and 5. I need the red fog, but I like the other two effects as well, and while the soak in effect looks better than the rising stars, it is fairly FPS intensive.

So in this case, I'd go with 6.
            Last edited by Mirrorman95; 03-09-2014, 12:49 AM.

Comment

• I think option #4 looks most "reasonable". The soak in effect makes you realize that it's actually a portal, generated by the platforms, and the steam justifies that the platforms are actually "mechanical". Well, if it's metal and has a lot of shiny light, it's definitely mechanical, right? So my choice is #4!
              MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Comment

• yes,I would go with 4 too.

Comment

• Originally posted by nahuel View Post
                  currently i am using a "custom darkplaces version" , you just need to rename the "darkplaces.exe" to "smc.exe" to play smc without any commands (you can do the same renaming darkplaces.exe to hipnotic.exe, rogue.exe quoth.exe etc... ).
                  That's in case you install SMC not into "id1" but into a separate "smc" folder, right?

From the DarkPlaces readme:

Supported games:
                  Quake : -quake, this is active by default, gamedirs: id1
                  Quake: Scourge of Armagon : -hipnotic or hipnotic in executable name or path, gamedirs: hipnotic, id1
                  Quake: Dissolution of Eternity : -rogue or rogue in executable name or path, gamedirs: rogue, id1
                  Nexuiz : -nexuiz or nexuiz in executable name or path, gamedirs: data
                  Nehahra : -nehahra or nehahra in executable name or path, gamedirs: nehahra, id1
                  GoodVsBad2 : -goodvsbad2 or gvb2 in executable name or path, gamedirs: rts
                  BattleMech : -battlemech or battlemech in executable name or path, gamedirs: base
                  PrydonGate : -prydon or prydon in executable name or path, gamedirs: prydon
                  Well, that feature was always there (or at least when I first bothered myself to read this), but only for these games/mods. I always wanted to implement Travail, X-Men etc. to work like this. So what did you actually change in the source code to have it other mods?
                  MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                    Hello,
                    ...As far as I understand the last posts, there is the requirement to have combinations of existing particle effects for slipgates. Actualls we have 3 to choose from:
                    - "soak in" effect
                    - "rising stars" effect
                    - "red steam/fog" effect

Which one should be the new default then ?
                    Currently it is no. 3) because it is more subtle and not so obtrusive like the others.
                    QC-wise it is no problem. It is, as always, a question of personal liking.
                    Is no. 5) the new winner ?

Thank you for your feedback on this.

Best regards,
                    Seven
                    Hi Seven,

Seeing as you asked for feedback...
                    Option 5 certainly wins for me but that's just my humble opinion. As you know, I'm just trying to get to grips with SMC but it's a nice eye catching effect that should attract new and old players alike.

Keep up the good work sir

Kind regards

Monty
                    Mr.Burns
                    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

• I also prefer number 5, the rising stars gives the teleport some sort of Star Trek's teleport beam, while the fog helps it to not be so clean. Number 4 is nice for portals (already in use).
                      Fórum QuakeBrasil

Lots of Quake related stuff

Comment

• Maybe use the rising after teleportation??? When Player's already spawned to a new place?

Comment

• Originally posted by webangel View Post
                          Hi again 7even,
                          [...]
                          I love the axe gib feature and more.
                          Hi webangel,

Yes, that was long overdue. They are always the small things, that sometimes make the difference. Especially when you see what the reason was behind this issue ...
                          It is good to see you online again.

Originally posted by Mirrorman95 View Post
                          If we're putting it to a vote, I'm torn between 4 and 5. I need the red fog, but I like the other two effects as well, and while the soak in effect looks better than the rising stars, it is fairly FPS intensive.

So in this case, I'd go with 6.
                          Hello Mirrorman95,

Unfortunately there is no no.6
                          But I love your reply. It tells me that there is always an additional option in life

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
                          Seeing as you asked for feedback...
                          Option 5 certainly wins for me but that's just my humble opinion. As you know, I'm just trying to get to grips with SMC but it's a nice eye catching effect that should attract new and old players alike.
                          Hello Monty,

I am very happy that you clenched your teeth and want to try this small mod (even though it is focused on 'single player').
                          Your opinion is important to me, as your experience in the 'multiplayer world' is huge and you have already seen things that others didnt.

Originally posted by hgdagon View Post
                          Maybe use the rising after teleportation??? When Player's already spawned to a new place?
                          Hi hgdagon,

There is a dedicated original Quake effect for this: TE_TELEPORT
                          Find it inside the effectinfo.txt and play around with it. You will see it is fun.

Unfortunately the original Quake process/idea behind this TE_TELEPORT effect is focused on multiplayer. As you are automatically moving forward a little bit when you are teleporting (to prevent telefragging I guess), but the TE_TELEPORT effect is spawned at the original target destination.
                          So, the player does not see much of the effect, as he is moving forward. Only the other multiplayers see that effect completely of course. In single player you have to turn around very quickly after teleporting to actually 'see' it.

Yes, it can be coded that the TE_TELEPORT effect is spawned a little bit forward (in relation to players view), but that should be limited to 'single player only', if at all... (as also teleporting monsters are affected)

============================

Regarding the slipgate effect:
                          As far as I see we have 3 people for effect "4", 2 people for "5" and 1 person for "6"
                          Maybe there will be some more feedback, but I *think* that we face the issue again, that there is no "best" default.
                          I see that most of you like the "red steam/fog", so I think that it maybe will be best to keep the default as it is today (effect "3"). Also due to minimal performance impact, as Mirrorman95 mentioned. And give you the possibility to use any value (from "0" to "6"... aehhmm I mean "5" ) that you like best.
                          QC code is already done for it, and we didnt even need new effectnum´s.

Thank you ALL very much for helping improving this old mod.

Kind regards,
                          Seven

Comment

• i myself personally prefer 2 rising-stars only, cuz its subtle but still looks fancy

the red-fog effect is interesting... but not really something for me....
                            it reminds me of 80s B-movies a bit, when every horror-movie had fog cuz it was pretty much the only special effect they had back then

not that i dun like 80s B-horror movies, i do very much... but the effect is kinda meh and not that fitting imo
                            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Hello,

I wanted to post this here again, as it matches the topic that we discussed the last days.
                              Some people may know it already, but for some it might be new and maybe interesting.

It shows a few decorating examples for map E1M1.
                              If you like it, you can simply drag & drop the download into your Quake and it will look like below.

DOWNLOAD

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG3IUNuApo0&list=UUbX7uVIXqMzBza0YmLJuMdw& index=1&feature=plcp]solid_and_non-solid_models_addon.avi - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe some like it.

Best wishes,
                              Seven

Comment

• UPDATE 20140309

New Quake Full version V4.72 Release

Updated features:
                                - Corpses are gib-able with Axe now (!! Hurray !!)
                                - Axe attacks can move gibs now
                                - Added more variations for slipgate particle effect
                                - Magical pentagram (after burning corpses) can restore adjustable health points now
                                - Updated 'Starter Kit'´s
                                - fixed: Quad effect shader wasnt ended/disabled during intermissions
                                - fixed: rain sounds without rain
                                - fixed: Hellknights head stays red when gibbed during magic attack phase

Please find updated Download links in 1st post.

This is a new full version (not an update).
                                Hopefully it does not have bugs.

I changed to a hopefully better hoster with higher download speed...

Beware of the shambler inside .... !
                                He might give you sleepless nights and nightmares.

Most important: Have fun !
                                Seven
                                Last edited by Seven; 03-09-2014, 03:04 PM. Reason: shammie yammie

Comment

Working...
                                X