No announcement yet.

Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hmm..... variation of torches is a nice idea, but having random torch-models in a map could look odd
    cuz two torches right next to each other could be replaced with different models which would look strange

perhaps it could randomly use one torch-model all over the map?
    as in replacing all torches in the map with a single randomly-selected model?
    so that all torches in the map will use the same model, but each map uses a different randomly-selected model?

i unno, just an idea
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• just had an idea for a feature which i think would be great for user-made maps!

i know that some maps have custom music, and the drake-mod also supports using custom WAVs for music in a map
      would it be possible to implent something like this into the SMC?

and could possible use the same thing like drake-mod uses, adding a line called "noise" to ent-file of map and then link to where the wav is found which should be used as music for the map
      Code:
      {
      "classname" "worldspawn"
      "message" "Heretic Cathedral"
      "classname" "worldspawn"
      "sounds" "1"
      "light" "21"
      "_sunlight" "65"
      "_sun_mangle" "45 -45 0"
      "noise" "music/heretic.wav"
      "mapversion" "220"
      "sky" "dragonmoon_"
      "wad" "\editing\hammer\nar\apocrypha.wad"
      }
      i know a lot of great fan-made maps that would have an even greater atmosphere if they had custom music

like for example i just played Avanipaala Praasaada, and i decided to play this song on winamp while playing the map:Nox Arcana - The Swords Of Kali
      i think this song fit the map perfectly and really helped to make the atmosphere of the map even better

i think this could be a really great feature which could be used to enhance the atmosphere of a lot of great user-maps, if you can use custom music-files with maps
      Last edited by talisa; 07-01-2014, 02:59 PM.
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Question.

Alright I have what may be a stupid question here but anyways here it goes. I noticed when I place the SMC into my id1 folder that it really causes chaos when the game loads up at the start menu when it runs the game demo in the background. However when I remove the demo1 file from my id1 folder it loads up just fine. Is the demo1 file really needed for any real purpose for the game or do I just need to make a new one and if so how. Thanks in advance for whoever can help.
        Make no mistakes here... I'm not a mere madman... I'm a realist!

Comment

• could you elaborate on "really causes chaos", as in what exactly happens?
          'causes chaos' is to vague to be able to help

also, demos should not cause any problems at all, because they are made to be able to run regardless of the progs.dat you use.

anyway, demos are not required.
          if you want you could easily skip demo-loading by starting darkplaces with the +map start parameter.
          the game will then load the start-map right away instead of loading the demo

Comment

• talisa,

As far as I remember we already had a similar "custom music" topic here.
            You do not need "Winamp" when playing Quake with an advanced engine (like Darkplaces for example), they have a jukebox integrated
            You can make use of one of these (or both) commands (use the 'apropos' command to learn all details about them):
            play / play2
            cd

To do what you want, you might want to try this (try it in your console first):
            cd loop custom_music/my_name_is_talisa/my_favorite_song.wav
            As you see, it is completely independent to regular subfolder structure for replacement files. Every folder inside your mod-folder will work. As well as every .wav file (and other supported formats).

Or what is always possible:
            You can add up to 255 music tracks into the standard music fake cd-tracks subfolder, and call them via the existing 'sounds' key. Name them as usual.

Yes, it will also be possible to use a qc mod to add a function, which you can call from worldspawn. Cobalt already has this in his server mod up and running.

======================

Krymzon 45,

Why do you have a demo1.dem in your ID1 folder ?
            When installing Quake, you will not have one. When installing SMC, you will not have one either...
            So please kick this little devil out of your Quake. It may even contain a virus which wants to destroy the Quake universe The SMC goes mad, because it wants to warn you

The demo1.dem file inside your pak0.pak is the correct one, you do not need another one. Try to keep your ID1 folder as clean as possible, as its content will be used by all mods due to DPīs replacement rules. Making use of DPīs multiple '-game' commands extension is a lways a good idea if you want to use replacements from other mods for example.

If you want to start your Quake like FTEQW does it (directly into the menu), you may want to use this: darkplaces.exe +startdemos

And please, always check your pmīs.
            I wrote several to you, which you did not seem to have read...

Best regards.

Comment

• This is just a suggestion, but it came to me as a good one, and I think you might find it interesting-monsters coming back to life. The idea is simple: if a monster remains ungibbed/unburned for long enough, it will come back to life and you will have to fight it again. I thought about pushing the idea further by having reanimated monsters be much more powerful than they were before, be surrounded by a black glow or something (to distinguish them in some way), but not affect your kill count. If you kill the reanimated monster, it will stay dead. Like I said, just an idea I thought might add a little more scariness to the game.

Another totally random idea was having the wizard's acid poison you. If you use a medkit, the poison goes away. Nothing too substantial, but here it is, nonetheless.
              Steel Sentinels remake project developer since 2012.

Comment

• @seven
                ah cool, didnt know you could add up to 255 fake cd-tracks to the cd-tracks folder and use that to give maps custom music

thanx for the info, ill def be using this

EDIT: just tried it by converting song i wanted to use to ogg,
                putting it in sound/cdtracks folder and changing 'sounds' line in ent and it works perfectly!

thanx again a lot for this info on how to add custom tracks to maps in DP <3
                Last edited by talisa; 07-02-2014, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Seven and Talisa

I did just that, the Demo1 file had been trashed lol. I don't really know how I ended up with it. I think back when I was using Epsilon before I made my own quake from scratch I may have moved it over to my id1 folder thinking it was needed. I have noticed that most of these people that are compiling everything into one big downloadable file are using this Demo1 file including hoover's Quake Hd Remix. You may want to mention that in a thread somewhere for the new ones trying to compile their own version in future reference. I was always wondering why the demo would still run perfectly after removing the Demo1 and now I know.

Comment

• Hey Seven I have A Question.

I have a question pertaining to one of the features in your SMC 4.80. The Quad Damage shader that surrounds the player. I prefer to use the Rohuis legs because they are more hi poly than the original with smooth edges and more rounded feet opposed to the triangular look. Is there a way to get the Quake 3 style Quad effect to be seen with those as well? If not it's no big deal. Also I use a diffrent set of wepons and you mentioned something about matching the mesh. What is that exactly? When I use my weapons with the Quad damage effect certain wepons become invisible and only the quad damage overlay is visible. I think the double barrel shotgun I use has a skin file where the others that use the effect don't. I believe you explained most of it in the read me but as far as the mesh and stuff goes I am lost lol.

Comment

• about ruohis legs not supporting Q3quad effect....

just updated it to support this effect
                      DOWNLOAD RUOHIS PLAYER-LEGS V1.1 -now supports Q3quad effect

for best effect, open up the Quake3_Quad_effect.shader in the scripts folder of SMC pk3,
                      and at bottom of player-legs block add tcmod scale 2.0 2.0 below the tcmod scroll line

then the size of the effect will be like in pic. otherwise itll look >like this<

about weapon-models and Q3quad effect... it all depends which models you are using and the format those are.
                      for md3 models, you need to make skin-files. for mdl-models you just need to add a second skin to the model which you can easily do with QME.

which weapon-models do you use? ive set up all models i use for the effect, and i could help you to make a pk3 to be able to use the Q3quad effect with them.
                      send me a PM about that and ill help you
                      Last edited by talisa; 07-02-2014, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Krymzon 45 View Post
                        I have a question pertaining to one of the features in your SMC 4.80. The Quad Damage shader that surrounds the player. I prefer to use the Rohuis legs. Is there a way to get the Quake 3 style Quad effect to be seen with those as well?
                        Hello Krymzon 45,

Yes, you can use any model with it. Important is, that your model needs 2 skins for it to work properly. As you already mentioned, how to proceed is depending which model format you want to use. I will try to explain how to do it by using free program tools. There are always multiple ways for doing it of course.

Lets start with .mdl model format (see below for .md3 format):
                        To add an additional skin to a .mdl model you can use QME software for example.
                        Download it from here, if you didnt already installed it. That link will lead you to an already installed version, because Win7 64-bit cannot execute the QME installer, so you are stuck. The installed version only needs to be extracted and you are ready to go with qme.exe.

1.) Start QME and open your desired model

2.) Click on the icon with the 2 small people

3.) Right click on "skin0" and choose "Duplicate 1x"

4.) You will see an additional skin0 line now (it doesnt matter how you 'name' it).

5.) Click on "File" and choose "save model as..."

6.) Choose "Quake (*.mdl)" format

7.) Save it (keep the name to overwrite old file) and you are done. use the new file now.

Originally posted by Krymzon 45 View Post
                        Also I use a diffrent set of wepons and you mentioned something about matching the mesh. What is that exactly? When I use my weapons with the Quad damage effect certain wepons become invisible and only the quad damage overlay is visible. I think the double barrel shotgun I use has a skin file where the others that use the effect don't. I believe you explained most of it in the read me but as far as the mesh and stuff goes I am lost lol.
                        Yes, you can use every model with it. Important is, that your model needs 2 skins for it to work properly just like the above. I always try to explain how it works in the included readmeīs, so that others can copy it to any existing model !

Unfortunately the models REAL format cannot be seen by its naming extension, as Darkplaces needs all models to have the .mdl ending (like declared in the qc) ! For example, an .md3 model has to be renamed to .mdl to be used by DP.
                        So we first have to find out which REAL format your model has. If you are unfamiliar with it, NPherno's MD3 software will help you.

Lets now find out how to add an additional skin to .md3 model format:
                        To add an additional skin to a .md3 model you can use NPherno's MD3 software for example.
                        Download it from here. That link will lead you to a zip file with 3 .exe files in it. We are using the "MD3Compile.exe" for now. As mentioned before, you can use several other tools for this.

As mentioned in the SMC readme.txt, you only need to find out how the mesh(es) of your .md3 model of choice is named and which textures are assigned to these mesh(es). NPherno's MD3 software will tell us...
                        If your model of choice has really the .mdl format (and is not a renamed .md3), the process is absolutely identical to the step-by-step instruction at the beginning of this post !

1.) Open MD3Compile.exe

2.) Click the "Import objects" button and choose "all file" formats !

3.) Browse to the folder which has your model of choice

4.) Double click your model now
                        4.) a) If it has NOT a .md3 format, it will tell you this:

4.) b) If it is .md3 format, it will tell you all the meshes and their names:

5.) Select all meshes that you see (hold down STRG for multiple) and click OK

6.) Now you will see the 3D model

7.) You can switch through all meshes by chosing the drop down menu on the very to right:

Now you know the meshes and their assigned texture names.
                        (Many times the assigned texture is identical for multiple meshes, so do not wonder)

That is all we need to know. You do NOT need to edit the model itself. We only need to create a .skin file with the same name as the model. You will see many examples inside the SMC "weapon-example" pack.
                        If your model is called "v_rock.mdl", you need to create 2 simple .txt files and name them (and change .txt extension to .skin):
                        v_rock.mdl_0.skin
                        v_rock.mdl_1.skin

The syntax for .skin files is always like this:
                        [mesh name],[texture path + name]

So, in the example from above, you will enter in v_rock.mdl_0.skin:
                        (That is the regular definition, which your weapon model uses in general)
                        v_rock,textures/v_rock.tga
                        grenade,textures/v_rock.tga

And into v_rock.mdl_1.skin you will have to add the texture assignment for the Quad effect:
                        The texture player_quad.tga is used for ALL and EVERY weapon/legs model, as this is the blue effect which slides over the model...
                        v_rock,textures/player_quad.tga
                        grenade,textures/player_quad.tga

Please excuse my poor english. I hope I could explain it so you can understand the process. If you have other model viewers/editors for .mdl / .md3 which you are more familiar with, they can of course also do the above. This is just 1 possible way.

Best of luck,
                        Seven
                        Last edited by Seven; 08-12-2017, 04:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pringles Man View Post
                          This is just a suggestion, but it came to me as a good one, and I think you might find it interesting-monsters coming back to life. The idea is simple: if a monster remains ungibbed/unburned for long enough, it will come back to life and you will have to fight it again. I thought about pushing the idea further by having reanimated monsters be much more powerful than they were before, be surrounded by a black glow or something (to distinguish them in some way), but not affect your kill count. If you kill the reanimated monster, it will stay dead. Like I said, just an idea I thought might add a little more scariness to the game.

Another totally random idea was having the wizard's acid poison you. If you use a medkit, the poison goes away. Nothing too substantial, but here it is, nonetheless.
                          Uups, sorry I overlooked your post at the end of last page.

I fully understand your idea and we both have similar things in mind
                          It is always what I want to reach/target: Add some additional spooky feeling to Quake. Just like the time wehn we played Quake the first time and we heard all the growls and spooky sounds and the monsters jumping out of shadows... hehe.

Your idea only needs a rather small modification to the existing "after death animation"īs, as they almost do this already. It is just that they vanish after several seconds. It was designed more or less only as a "shocking" moment towards the player. Of course animations like these get old quickly when seeing them too often..

Your idea and the one from Syluxguy28O3 from here with the ghosts tracing the player is what I like a lot. They both start where the "after death animation"īs end, so they focus on the same thing.

I will come back to you with more info and an alpha when I get the time to work on it.

Thank you for your suggestion and idea.

Comment

• Anyone else find it odd that the "Small Mod compilation" is listed in the "Finished Works" forum!!! Hehe
                            Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

• Might I suggest looking out for the grimrock effect, because it makes a monster disappear entirely. Otherwise, I don't have much more to add on that subject. But regarding other aspects of SMC, I always thought it would be nice to have different sounds for potions and medkits. I put together some very fitting potion pickup sounds and a megahealth pickup sound. I tried to attach the zip file with just those three sounds, but even that is too big for the site. Is there any other way I can upload them to here? As a side note, I also have quite an extensive collection of nice custom sound for lesser-known things such as the plasma gun and the statue which have a VERY lame set of sounds by default. I'd like to share this on the forum someday, but once again, the attachment system is very limited.

EDIT: I got the potions up, but the megahealth is still pushing the file size limit...

Either way, enjoy the sounds I managed to upload. :S
                              Attached Files
                              Steel Sentinels remake project developer since 2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by damage_inc View Post
                                Anyone else find it odd that the "Small Mod compilation" is listed in the "Finished Works" forum!!! Hehe
                                Yes, the mod was finished 2010. Everything added since then is only cosmetic.

Originally posted by Pringles Man View Post
                                [...] Another totally random idea was having the wizard's acid poison you. If you use a medkit, the poison goes away. Nothing too substantial, but here it is, nonetheless.
                                Originally posted by Pringles Man View Post
                                [...] But regarding other aspects of SMC, I always thought it would be nice to have different sounds for potions and medkits.

Hello Pringles Man,

Thank you very much for your ideas and feedback.
                                I added what you requested and I must say, I like the "wizardīs poisoning projectiles" a lot.

Some more details:
                                The poison is cured at once when you pickup any health kit. It also passes out after a specific time. While carrying the pentagram or the biosuit it doesnt harm you. I added a nice little visual effect when player gets poisoned.

You can adjust these things:
                                Code:
                                set wizard_projectiles_poison_time 20		//  0= disabled     Set the maximum poison suffering time for the player in seconds.   Note: When picking up medikits, the poison will be cured at once !
                                set wizard_projectiles_poison_frequence 3	//  Set the frequence in seconds between poison pains.
                                set wizard_projectiles_poison_damage 1		//  Set the amount of poison damage per frequence.
                                set wizard_projectiles_poison_flicker 1		//  0= disabled     1= poison inflicts a frequent flicker, tinting the complete screen green.
                                I hope it is somehow what you had in mind with the idea... I like it a lot and will keep it enabled for sure.

Regarding the seperate pickup sounds for potions, use these names for the new ones:
                                Code:
                                ///// New potion pickup sounds in your  sound/items  subfolder: 
                                //  r_item1_potion_small.wav     for small potion
                                //  health1_potion_medium.wav    for medium potion
                                //  r_item2_heart_pickup.wav     for big 'heart' megahealth

DOWNLOAD
                                (You need SMC V4.83 for it)

Cheers ! because today is a special date: 7.7.

Comment

Working...
                                X