Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
    Hello Mindf!3ldzX,

First of all, Thank you for giving DP one last chance.
    I know how much this means for you...

You are referring to webangels pack. This is not linked on the OP (yet).
    Webangels loves the .dds format. That is why she uses it in almost all her releases.
    This format needs an additional cvar (just like you said), and this gives many users issues.

She usualy mentiones it in her posts/readmes.
    This time she seemed to forget it. I do not know.
    If she uses standard texture formats in the future, nobody will ever have this issue again.
    But this is of course not my decision.

Kind regards,
    Seven
    And there lies the chaos. I was 101% positive I had your Prettywater,this was wrong. I don't when or how I downloaded webangel's Pretty Water. You both have something titled PrettyWater,confusing while I thought there was only one unified Pretty Water. My bad bro.

beta QRP pk3's and a r_glsl disabled DP build was 99% of my problems.

Seven I had suggested a DarkPlaces mod manager , like Nexus Mod Manager.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

• link deleted
      Last edited by _Smith_; 05-18-2012, 05:32 PM.
      Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

• Hi

@smith

using the norm i made and then saying that i found it in your read me is lame.

i think your water only has depth/looks good because of my norm alpha layer that i painted on it...why not use the zombie and urre norm in your future releases.

and please don't include any of my content in your uploads.

Sean

Comment

• If you've made this norm I apologise you. That is how I've understood it back then.
          Last edited by _Smith_; 05-18-2012, 07:06 PM.
          Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

• DP_water_1.22 ( normal map: seanstar, textures: Urre and Zombie )

I liked the muddy look and subtle distortions of Seven's pretty water 0.51. I've tried to improve on it while preserving these characteristics.
            New dp_water shaders that came after it look too clear and unnaturally distorted to me.

There is also 'lite' refract only water, that can be a good tradeoff for prople whose hardware can't handle dp_water.

[some old arguments...]

I am not pretending I've accomplished something here, there is so much you can do with few variables dp_water offers. So don't expect anything ground breaking.
            The truth is, there is no more to making it, than it is to designing a single particle effect, bragging too much about it is silly, please give me a brake.
            Credits go to Zombie and Urre who created textures and LH for implementing dp_water in darkplaces.

@Seanstar
            While in version with your normal refraction looks a bit more natural to me, it looks ok with this one using Urre and Zombie normal as well.

You've wrote both in your readme and in your thread that you've 'added' this normal. I've thought that choice of a word was not incidental and you've indeed 'added' it and not 'made' it. It was just misunderstanding, there is nothing more to it. I had wrote in the readme that normal came from you. Why people always assume ill intentions all the time here ? But since you've abandoned this normal already ( such wide ripples doesn't look good with water scroll you're using now ) why not allow it to be used somewhere else ? Ech...
            Last edited by _Smith_; 02-17-2013, 04:57 AM.

Comment

• Hi

@smith

i really think your going on and on about it me only saying a fact.

to go out of your way to say i found the texture when i made it...do you know how long it took me?

give me a brake.

i can take credit for dp_reflect.

your water is nothing.

Comment

• i really think your going on and on about it me only saying a fact.
                to go out of your way to say i found the texture when i made it...do you know how long it took me?
                I don't argue with this. I've admitted it was mistake on my part and apologized the moment you've made me aware of it.
                I've just explained that it wasn't intentional and how it happened that it stuck in my head that way.
                I personally use word 'added' in my readmes for stuff I don't want credits for and I've understood your readme wrongly the same way.
                your water is nothing.
                If I got the results I wanted without making a new normal, better for me, why waste time. Your normal wasn't main defining factor here.
                While I preferred it, I realised after trying Urre&Zombie normal again that the difference it makes is not huge and I wouldn't be surprised if some people argued that it actually looks better.

I was at the muddy lake side the other day and saw real water.
                For me it is the most natural looking water posted here and weaker distortions make it not tedious to look at underwater level geometry.

People may disagree with this description. Other may say that it doesn't make it better, or that original water was hardly realistic looking anyway.
                It's ok, we all have different tastes. I think it looks different enough from other posted so far to be worth trying.

I've spent few hours about two months ago fiddling with water and settled with this result as most fitting for me. I know there is nothing to brag about. Only reason I've uploaded it, was that someone saw screenshots on modDB and was interested in trying but don't wanted to redownload 1.5GB of data of which 99% he already has.
                i can take credit for dp_reflect.
                I don't know what you mean, but what I've meant was that we are not really writing a shader here, it is already written, we only interact with its user interface.
                We are given few variables to do that, so pretending that we are performing some magic here is silly.
                In particular, neither variables or texture content can influence performance. All these waters perform the same.

Anyway, I retired from updating compilation or fiddling with other people work. Simple stuff I've posted recently is old story.
                Last edited by _Smith_; 05-20-2012, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by _Smith_ View Post
                  I don't know what you mean, but what I've meant was that we are not really writing a shader here, it is already written, we only interact with its user interface.
                  We are given few variables to do that, so pretending that we are performing some magic here is silly.
                  In particular, neither variables or texture content can influence performance. All these waters perform the same.

Hi

this is not true...the water shader i created after many hours of testing, is faster by about 20% or even more around water...this is magic.

i'm proud of it because it wasnt easy, and in the end i got what i wanted.

next.

Comment

• Are you talking about your reflect only water again? If so, I am wasting my time...
                    Last edited by _Smith_; 05-20-2012, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• C'mon guys. Aren't we all on the same team?

Comment

• Shit + Fan = Correct response.

dont fn grape me bro
                        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

• Correct response from whom??

Comment

• Can't we all just get a bong?
                            Soundtracks and Instrumentals
                            MyMusic | Youtube

Comment

• seanstar, _Smith_
                              Do not quarrel.
                              Need missing hi-poly models of monsters, not water
                              ))

Comment

• Hi

@smith

i accept your apology=P

regards,

Sean

Comment

Working...
                                X