"DP Pretty Water" Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spiney View Post
    This reminded me to upload some animated liquid textures ...
    Animated Sprites and Textures | OpenGameArt.org

feel free to use... there's a pretty decent liquid goop one.
    I wouldn't recommend using them because multi-texture animation is big performance killer. And 60(!!!!) frames for a simple deform anim?
    You know you can use q3 "shader" scripts to achieve similar results, which wont affect performance at all.
    And to use frame-by-frame texture animations you need to atlas all the frames into a single texture. Consult DP wiki for how its done.

Comment

• webangel, the shader for acid from your version of pretty water seems broken in 2013DP builds

could you please look into fixing it so it also works fine in 2013 DP builds?
      water shaders seem to work fine but sadly acid shaders seem broken

would love to use 2013 builds cuz of better performance but its a shame your shaders are broken in it
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• I know Talisa,
        I´m right at upgrading all Liquids from Q.

I wonder why nobody complained yet

Comment

• haha yeah i was just wondering the same too a bit ago,
          why nobody else has notified you yet that the acid shader is broke in 2013 DP-builds
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Hello Talisa,

It is most probably the blendfunc keyword, that is different in webangels slime.
            I do not know now, as I dont have her release in front of me, but if only slime visual has been changed then it most probably is the reason.
            Change it to blendfunc add or blend and tweak the color values and it will be identical to DP builds from 2011.
            (That was the reason for teleporter visual change too)

Hello Sza,

The textures must be seamless for the water, as the water in Quake is like a Teppichmuster
            Therefore the texture repeats again and again, so it might look weird if the texture is too crowded, but fortunately you can tweak its scale via shader too.
            The transparency can be adjusted directly in the shader, if it is too transparent for you (or modify the texture of course).
            Here are the important parms for you to play with:
            - dp_water <reflectmin> <reflectmax> <refractdistort> <reflectdistort> <refractr> <refractg> <refractb> <reflectr> <reflectg> <reflectb> <alpha>
            This combines the effects of dp_reflect and dp_refract to simulate a water
            surface. However, the refraction and the reflection are mixed using a Fresnel
            equation that makes the amount of reflection slide from reflectmin when
            looking parallel to the water to reflectmax when looking directly into the
            water. The result of this reflection/refraction mix is then layered BELOW the
            texture of the shader, so basically, it "fills up" the alpha values of the
            water. The alpha value is a multiplicator for the alpha value on the texture
            - set this to a small value like 0.1 to emphasize the reflection and make
            the water transparent; but if r_water is 0, alpha isn't used, so the water can
            be very visible then too.

It is always good to have different waters to choose from
            Knowing that you are a texture artist, you will surely be able to create a beautiful new water pack.

Have fun,
            Seven

Comment

• You need a fog that is present only inside water volume, to simulate water opacity properly. But we can't have it in DP.

In dp_water you can adjust:
              • reflection alpha: <reflectmin> when you look from 90 degrees angle and <reflectmax> from 0 degrees angle, values for other angles are scaled accordingly.
              • refraction layer color filter: <refractr> <refractg> <refractb>
              • water texture alpha: <alpha>

These parameters can make everything underwater less visible. The problem is that without fog, shallow water is exactly as opaque as deep water.
              Last edited by _Smith_; 07-11-2013, 11:41 AM.
              Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

• you'd need some smart use of the existing fog command, with triggers and interpolation to smooth it out depending on which way you're looking.
                the renderer can't reliably do it, you end up with water regions with openings at two separate heights (eg: dm3), and that makes things glitch. frankly there's no other way to make things work properly+reliably when you actually enter that water.
                Some Game Thing

Comment

• Hello Spike,

Yes, that is true.
                  I already contacted LordHavoc and ask him if it was possible to shackle fog in a specific geometry. DP fog can already be limitd in z-direction, but that is for the complete map and not for a specific area. X and Y direction would be necessary too.
                  I had this question in that time when we had the "weather" topic in this forum some time ago.
                  He replied that it needs a lot of renderer work to achive this.
                  So this ideas was skipped.

In my opionion, the visual when you are looking into water from the outside must match the engines renderer of the visual when you are inside the water.
                  Quake engines give you a pretty good view underwater, so that you see enemies and stuff.
                  So it makes no sense for me to make a water pitch black or or muddy when you look from the outside into it.
                  When you jump into it and then have a nice view would make no sense... at least for me.

The current condition of the "DP Pretty Water" does approx. what I just described quite good. Inside and outside visual matches quite good.

Yes, one could say:
                  Quake is just a game. Do not be so realisitc

But as long as I have no backpack and can fly thorugh the map like another hero it should be kept this way

Best wishes,
                  Seven

Comment

• q3bsp volumetric fog would be nice (note that each surface can be affected by only one fog region), but this would still have issues with water regions (like dm3) where there are two separate water surfaces at different heights.
                    Some Game Thing

Comment

• @seven
                      i tried adding the blendfunc line to the blocks of the slime shader but sadly that didnt work

but as webangel said, she is looking at it already

cant wait till you fix the shader to work in DP 2013 builds W@,
                      cuz id really love to be able to use 2013builds and have everything working fine in it

Comment

• Hi Talisa,
                        the slime bug was my fault.
                        Here is the fixed version.

DOWNLOAD
                        Please tell me if the slime is working now.

If somebody wants to try my animation experiment:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoeoTVx47tg[/ame]

DOWNLOAD

Its not working 100% at the moment. Thats why I called the file _test.
                        Looks best in E1M1, M2.

Originally posted by talisa View Post
                        @seven
                        i tried adding the blendfunc line to the blocks of the slime shader but sadly that didnt work

but as webangel said, she is looking at it already

cant wait till you fix the shader to work in DP 2013 builds W@,
                        cuz id really love to be able to use 2013builds and have everything working fine in it
                        Last edited by webangel; 07-12-2013, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• ... time to update 1st post´s link from your old version to the new one.

The keyword: dp_waterscroll is simply amazing !

Thank you to Blood Omnicide and Webangel´s convertion to Quake.

Comment

• oooh, cant wait to try out that combined shader+animated textures version, it looks absolutely amazing in your short clip

also hope the normal shader will work now in 20130301 build now that you updated it,
                            cuz broken watershader was one of the main deal-breakers for me and reason why i kept using 2011build

i will try it later and let you know if it works

Comment

• just tested it and the slime works again with your new updated version

seeing as your HIPNOTIC liquids thread is closed ill ask here:
                              could your perhaps also look at fixing up your shaders for the purple portal and blood for MP1?
                              both of those appear as just pure black in 2013 DP builds

if you could also fix those then there will be no more reason for me to not use the 2013DP builds,
                              and i can finally use those builds cuz there wont be any broken stuff anymore.
                              and i'll finally be able to profit from the better performance these builds have without cons

Comment

• Find download in a later post!

Please test it for me.

Seven,
                                thank you for the link und sorry for OT.
                                Last edited by webangel; 07-12-2013, 01:24 PM. Reason: New Fix

Comment

Working...
                                X