No announcement yet.

"DP Pretty Water" Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found a good description for my problem- I seem to be missing the ripply reflection effect as seen here;

Check out my awesome Deviant art page!
    Quake fanart (obviously included)!

http://harry-the-fox.deviantart.com/

Comment

Interesting observation- it seems after reinstalling Quake from scratch, now the bendy effects of anything UNDER the water are also removed- I am only getting translucent water textures.

Also, these commands are treated as unknown
      r_glsl_water_reflectdistort
      r_glsl_water_refractdistort

Comment

Originally posted by King Hazza View Post
        Also, these commands are treated as unknown
        r_glsl_water_reflectdistort
        r_glsl_water_refractdistort
        Look anywhere where the brush that makes the water meets up on the top surface with a normal-textured worldspawn brush, then adjust those.

Bringing down their values will reduce that pixelation / line that's formed there. I've been experimenting with this as I've noticed it when running through my current mod. They should work the same as the similar values in dp work. You need to be looking at the reflection itself to see the changes.

edited for content

Comment

King,

your screenshot shows "DP Pretty Water" V0.1 or V0.2.
          As I already told you in my post #16, these versions have the most "shining effect".
          But the negative point regarding these versions: Water02 looks like Water01 and looks like Slime.
          There is almost no difference in the different water/slime types.
          When you look from a bigger angle (from up to down), you will see the things inside the pool
          and the water has almost no color.

If you want it like this (and it seems to be the case) I highly recommend to use V0.2 !
          Then all your wishes will come true.

You must first type "exec water.cfg" into your console to be able to use the variables you mentioned.

Now, hoping you will be finally satisfied

Kind Regards,
          Seven

Comment

Surely there must be another way Seven!!! Your version is way too nice to trade in!

Out of curiosity could you tell me about these properties?

-Varying depth of color/fogginess of different water types (say, between clear transparent water and murky water with thick color hiding details).
            Eg you look into a blue pool and see virtually everything, but into a muddy pool (or slime) you barely see a few inches below the surface.)

-The distortion of the mirror effect, without shine?- The way you balanced the reflection of the above surfaces against the water's color was perfect. I think if the reflection could be distorted in the same way the layers are beneath it would do the trick?

-Alternatively- Making the actual gloss-map almost entirely translucent (this I admit is more of a photoshop editing presumption though)?

Comment

Wait- Seven I helped myself to your customized config file and my water settings are now fantastic! I actually would not really recommend changes at all now (in the past I have been getting only mild ripples and very stark textury look- now it just looks like real water!)

The problem once again, boiled down to my crippled Frankenstein of a personal configuration.

I'll play around a bit and see if I can nitpick it properly now my setup is actually the way it's supposed to be!

Cheers again, and thankyou for your patience! (it's been a bit of a hectic time so my mind has not been in the right place)!

Comment

OK, been checking it out and I think the ONLY thing it would need is a distortion effect on the existing reflections on the surface, if this can be done without adding shine to obscure your colors (I'm going to try a few experiments in reflectdistort).

The only giveaway is because Darkplaces shadows doesnt seem to always show in the water- making it appear quite bright and uniform color- if it reflected the dark underside of the obstacles above, it would work perfectly to cover up that other issue.

Slime however wouldn't need to at all- it glowing a consistent color adds more menace!

Comment

Hi. Very cool. My water looks really realistic. But, since I've installed the addon, my teleporters looking like this:
                  Whats wrong or is it normal that way?

Comment

Yeah, I had a completely different set of trouble with my teleporters- the water effect was overridden and I only got star patterns;

Also, another interesting problem- QUOTH does refract the reflections, but normal Darkplaces does not;

I think, the final touch is to have light sources cast shadows on the water also (at least, my version does not, and the water is just as bright under a bridge as it is in the open).

Comment

BoylerBoi,

what is your exact problem ?
                      Why you post 2 different looking screens without telling something about it ?
                      Is it a "before" / "after" comparism ?? If yes, which one is before ?
                      Which "DP pretty water" Version do you use ?
                      Do you use additional "DP New Teleport" pack ?

King,

if you have stars in your water, then you dont use my pack.
                      It must be someone elses pack (inkub0 or Spinvis or webangel or ...).
                      They use star-textures in their packs.
                      I cannot help you with your issue without more informations.

Kind Regards,
                      Seven

Comment

@ King

I just tried to check/verify what you said:
                        I think, the final touch is to have light sources cast shadows on the water also (at least, my version does not, and the water is just as bright under a bridge as it is in the open).
                        On my rig, the shadows are visible on the water surface.
                        It makes it darker, less shiny and also the texture itself gets darker.

Please see screenshots:

It might be a config issue in your Quake.

Kind Regards,
                        Seven

Comment

Originally posted by BoylerBoi View Post
                          I am using ver. 0.32. The left picture shows the teleporter with normal lights, the other picture is when i'm standing in front of the teleporter while I'm shooting. I only can see the "real" teleporter when i am shooting. Without shooting it looks like a black wall. I don't use the teleporter-pk3.

Comment

Damn, seems you're right Seven, I apologize yet again!
                            (I'll try to get cracking on it- because I've noticed my version now no longer allows things like doors or moving bars to cast shadows either).
                            Bleh.

Comment

I cant get the DPwater.PK3 V.02 working.

I have moved any water related TGA/PNG/ file out of my quake/id1 directories.
                              I am using Seven's config file and i have VISd maps.
                              I have full control of the folder and UAC turned off. I am running DP as administrator anyways.
                              I am using windows 7 64 bit.

Kind Hazza posted a screenshot above. That is exactly what i want my water to look like. Shiny, barely moving, really reflective. I dont see any waves really.

Here is what mine looks like. Looks dirty and wavy to me. I dislike the normal water wavy look. I want unrealisticly Shiny. reflective. still.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Sorry if my post seems short... i am so frustrated with the difficulties of making DP look good.Thanks for any help you guys have.

Comment

Disco, the way it looks on your pictures is "normal". Looks the same here, that's pretty water.

Comment

Working...
                                X