No announcement yet.

"DP Pretty Water" Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can sum1 tell me which are the best water textures available right now? I am currently using the dpwater_v0.51 and it looks decent and but doesn't look like the video posted by Seven in his first post, any suggestions?

Comment

• there are more than 1 version of water coloring. examples, look at the water on these maps

E1m1, bottom of elevator Bridge area water. It's blue.

DM3 , bridges area, water is brown.

is this what your speaking of?
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

• @Mindf!3ldzX
        Well what I think is my water texture doesn't look that crisp? But I think that's what it was meant to be like, I think its fine now. The only concern now is the dame performance hit! It's ridiculous, fps can drop all the way down to 17!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by webangel View Post
          Hello Sean,
          don´t tell me a liar!

I understand:
          "Your water" shader is the the Holy Grail for the quake community - sorry that I have a other understanding - shame over me...
          I can´t know your problems. Do you try to compensate something...

Of course....... That is the reason why you rescale screenshots or do r_water_0 to your screenshots here...

BTW: Sorry but this is the first time that I be "rude" on this forum
          @w@
          I didn't mean you're a liar...I just don't like liars.

my screenshot is not edited...my desktop res is 5670x1080.

r_water was set to 1...with your textures setting it to 0 means you see no water.

my water pack is not the holy grail, I spent many hours on it and I think the result speaks volumes.

@lucky88shp
          i might post my new water pack when i get around to it, as someone nicely asked me though pm to upload it.

here's a screenshot of the "Holy" water.

regards,

Sean

Comment

• @seanster
            Does the new water pack improve fps? I was shocked as I just playing e2m1, and in the beginning where there is that big arean with water, my fps dropped to 5!! I just quit the game and want to find some alternate way or just restore original water! But, when I installed that lave texture mode, all my water turned into this white thing kinda looking like moving ice, basically lava without the fireskin on top...
            It's not even like my PC is low-end, I got a decent Phenom X6 3.3GHz, Radeon 6970 2GB, and 8GB RAM!

Comment

• Sweet geez, 5670x1080... how can you maintain a playable framerate with that res? o.O

@lucky:
              Framerate all depends on the shader which is used. If you are willing to sacrifice some visual quality, it can be much better. However, usually it's not that bad for me. The real FPS killer is if you choose to activate reliefmapping...
              Authentic Models Pack
              OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
              LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

• Hi

@nightfright
                its actually pretty good...I only turned off rt world shadows and rt dlights, I have everything else enabled
                with rt shadows, offsetmapping and r_water 1.

timedemo1 I get 45fps...this is down from my old res of 1080p getting like 70fps in timedemo1 with rt_world shadows on.

I think this engine could use multithreading, for even more performance.

@lucky88shp
                maybe check the combination of shaders you're running...when I use the r_water teleports for example, it
                grinds down my fps...also if you have rain and multiple other effects running it will also slow down even more.

regards,

Sean

Comment

• Seven, any idea why the water shows the sky texture from above looking down into the water and then if im in the water looking out, the shader is working and reflect/refract opaqueness. It's like the water is upside down

help?
                  Originally posted by Magnus
                  Apology accepted.

Comment

• Hello turtlevan,

If you have visual issues with shader driven DarkPlaces water, there are basically these possibilities:
                    1.) You dont use VIS´ed maps
                    2.) You did not set the cvar "r_water" to "1"
                    3.) Your config has/use "strange" light settings

Please find example posts with problem + solving here:
                    to 1.) VIS´ed map pack available in 1st post of this thread
                    to 2.) click
                    to 3.) click

Disco Rockstar (you surely know him turtlevan) once asked for a "special version" of the DP pretty water. He made fantastic Quake movies (just like you) and therefore needed a water with high transparency, little distortion and a cool reflection visual for his vids.

You will find it here (screenshot here)

Be sure to also try out Moon[Drunk]´s water, which has/uses a fresh idea !
                    here

Good luck,
                    Seven

Comment

• @Seanster
                      I have no idea what shaders are available as I'm very new to quake texture modding, just started 4 days ago. Can you probably just tell me what's your choice of water shaders?

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                        You will find it here (screenshot here)

Be sure to also try out Moon[Drunk]´s water, which has/uses a fresh idea !
                        here
                        Man, that is exactly what I'm looking for. I found out my problem. I had multiple various water shader .pk3 files in my ID1. I try out everyones water for the best one, but it looks like custom for disco or moons is exactly what i wanted.

Thank you
                        Originally posted by Magnus
                        Apology accepted.

Comment

• @turtlevan
                          Can you post a pic of how that looks?

Comment

• @webangel
                            I have checked out your latest water shaders, those look really great. I agree with Seven, the surface distortions could be less so you see more what's going on underwater. The direction you might be aiming at might be the Half-Life 2 water.
                            OK, it's probably not possible to make it look anything like that, but at least it could be a bit "calmer". If you find a way to achieve that, combined maybe with a little dirtier (but not darker) surface, it should be most interesting.
                            Authentic Models Pack
                            OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
                            LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

• Seven, could you add a note to the OP about r_texture_dds_load 1, setting up pretty water required this function but I couldn't find mention of it in the instructionals or readme.
                              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

• Hello Mindf!3ldzX,

First of all, Thank you for giving DP one last chance.
                                I know how much this means for you...

You are referring to webangels pack. This is not linked on the OP (yet).
                                Webangels loves the .dds format. That is why she uses it in almost all her releases.
                                This format needs an additional cvar (just like you said), and this gives many users issues.

She usualy mentiones it in her posts/readmes.
                                This time she seemed to forget it. I do not know.
                                If she uses standard texture formats in the future, nobody will ever have this issue again.
                                But this is of course not my decision.

Kind regards,
                                Seven
                                Last edited by Seven; 04-30-2012, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X