No announcement yet.

"DP Pretty Water" Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those look promising Seven, however in the 3rd screenshot you posted up there, had you noticed the water is reflecting even when you are beneath the surface? The wooden bridge struts seem to be reflecting on the side facing the liquid. To me this does not seem right. Ok, the murkier / dirtier the water is, naturally would be less reflective overall so that makes sense and probably works as you say depending on texture opacity.

The flavor Im seeking would use the id1/textures/mapname folder (if supplied) to override the (2) water textures I am seeing in your water_dp.zip , and still shade the tga file using the current system. I am not sure is that possible? Do we merely remove the supplied water (tga) files to do that?

I have also tried Webangels DDS shader which is interesting too, but Smiths version does not sem to be up anymore, the link is broke.

Comment

• Attention, wall of text ahead.

Hello Cobalt,

While working with the dark/dirty water from last post, I am beginning to like it more and more. It makes use of DP´s z-limit and fade-option for regular world fog, which acts then a little bit like Q3´s volumetric fog. We had a discussion about it in another thread a while ago and how nice it would be to be able to lock up fog in a cube with limiting borders in X and Y as well. LH told me at that time this would need pretty much rendering work, so I doubt he is interested in working on it …

But the existing world fog can be pretty well used for new fan-made maps, because the mappers focus can be set to keep all water lakes in a map at the same world z-level.
      Then this dirty/dark method water can be used really good. And it looks more realistic from inside and outside of the water lakes compared to without. Unfortunately that is also the limitation for existing/original maps, as most maps have water lakes at different z-coordinates throughout the map.

Regarding the other variations that you mentioned:
      Smith´s water variation is quite similar to Ver. 0.55, as it uses similar shader work.
      Webangel´s has a quite different look as she uses a totally different way for creating the water movement: dp_waterscroll
      While regular DP Pretty Water uses tc_mod scroll to move the water in a continues flow, the dp_waterscroll shader keyword creates waves without continuous movement. Which looks more realistic (especially in small water lakes where movement is impossible normally). You can combine both as well.
      What I personal would change in webangel´s pretty water pack is the amount of movement and the wave sizes. The actual condition makes it almost impossible to see something inside the water from the outside. I personally like to be able to slightly see what is beneath it, which is on the other hand not realistic I know, but I prefer it this way. Otherwise you would not need the alpha layer in the texture. But editing dp_waterscroll is as easy as editing tc_mod scroll to adjust the individual water movement to ones personal liking. dp_waterscroll was designed for that purpose and creates the best looking waves/movement in my opinion (after fine tuning).

Regarding the used water textures:
      Webangel´s pretty water has no "dds shader". The shader itself is independent to the used texture format. You could write in the mapping shader keyword line to use .jpg and Darkplaces will use .tga or .dds if it finds it (following dp´s format priority rules). So more or less only the name of the file is important (not the format extension).
      As far as I understood your question (you know my poor English…), you would like to use regular world textures with your shader. Yes, that is of course possible. The line where the mapped texture is defined must link to your normal world textures (ex: textures/xxxx), and makes it thereby unneccesary. This way the same texture will be used in the shader which normally would be used without the shader (following standard engine replacement locations/names). But for dp_water you will most probably want special dedicated textures which look good with it. But it depends of course how you want it to look. They are in actual condition placed in mod/textures/water/xxxx, so they will not be used without the shader.

Regards.

Comment

• @Seven
        Sometimes I think you're John Carmack in disguise. In-depth knowledge in Quake, and in-depth answer to every question! Thanks again for being there!
        MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Comment

• Hi Seven

Yes, very good post, thanks.

My thought regarding the fog idea is yea, it would only be for new maps obeying a discipline when creating water...the current ID maps would not benefit from this at all.

The fog command as it is now, fogs the entire level....non solid brush areas. How hard would it be to alter that code so that it only fogs liquid brushes? Copy n paste and declare it as a new waterfog function in the engine?

The other idea is similar to what we have to do for rain, where we define a box for the particles, only this time the box we define in QC will define the fog for the liquid. Speaking of that, I thought there was a tutorial with the rain and snow to fog the level, but I guess it must uyse the global fog cvar as it stands now.

Comment

• hgdagon,

Oh, you are pretty wrong when you compare me with JC.
            People like Spike, divVerent, LH and others should be compared with JC.

I am just a simple user of their work, and not even a good one, who obviously spends too much time with it instead of enjoying real life.

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
            The fog command as it is now, fogs the entire level....non solid brush areas. How hard would it be to alter that code so that it only fogs liquid brushes? Copy n paste and declare it as a new waterfog function in the engine?
            Knightmare gave an interesting answer in your other thread at inside3d concerning this, but he only spoke about enabling it when beeing inside of water, which is not sufficient/satisfying in my opinion. As also when looking from outside into water, the effect should be there, so it should "always" be there (as shown in the screenshots).

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
            The other idea is similar to what we have to do for rain, where we define a box for the particles, only this time the box we define in QC will define the fog for the liquid. Speaking of that, I thought there was a tutorial with the rain and snow to fog the level, but I guess it must uyse the global fog cvar as it stands now.
            Yes, that is what I was referring to in above post. I asked LH what it would mean to have a "local" fog, which can be locked up in a cube with not only z-limit but also x and y. And if possible multiple cubes of them (one for each water lake) in a map. His answer I posted above ...

But nevertheless it is an interesting topic, even though water is not really intensly used in Quake1 and therefore has not a big meaning like in other games.

It would still be great to have "local" fog in special areas/rooms of a map (without water) to have spooky / scrary moments when playing Quake. World fog cannot be used as it is all over the map with the same properties.
            Local fog would amplify the ambience of some singe player maps a lot and I can only guess, but a lot of mappers would be happy to have it as an option for some map areas...

In the end, there is always the possibility to use some amount of particles to emit/simulate fog in small areas. But they are usualy performance hungry...

Comment

• @Seven -

Past time for me to learn engine coding, sounds like closing in on your time

I tried again to use MS visual studio and compile a pre downloaded src of DP. After doing absolutely nothing to the files , a compile results in errors...that has me stumped for a couple of years now.

Comment

• fog in water as well as outside should react to light intensity and colour, light colour should be then tinted with the fog's own colour

in idtech4 we use lights as fog volumes, but this solution only defines fog colour and volume, it doesn't account for the end result as i mentioned earlier.

fog is whatever is inside a cloud, if the cloud is flashed with a red light the cloud will be red and so it's internal fog. therefore fog should be highly dependant on the lights hitting it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BielBdeLuna View Post
                  fog in water as well as outside should react to light intensity and colour, light colour should be then tinted with the fog's own colour

in idtech4 we use lights as fog volumes, but this solution only defines fog colour and volume, it doesn't account for the end result as i mentioned earlier.

fog is whatever is inside a cloud, if the cloud is flashed with a red light the cloud will be red and so it's internal fog. therefore fog should be highly dependant on the lights hitting it.
                  Have you tried working with Darkplaces? I think it supports similar lighting to Doom3 but I don't know for sure.

I see that you have worked on Doom3BFG, Whats your opinion on it compared to the original?
                  Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
                  https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
                  https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
                  https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

• we're working on it at github, we're making an open version of the engine as at this moment it's not really prepared for modding, you can do your maps but defs and scripting at the moment is out of the question. we've ported some stuff from dhewm3 and vanilla linux d3, like the map compiling, the hl2 portalsky, the cinematic skip option, soft shadows, PBR rendering (which is quite the last addition, still in testing stage)
                    the idea is to have a idtech4 GPL engine that at least has all the possibilities of vanilla d3 with all the improvements for all kinds of games.

check us out at:
                    https://github.com/RobertBeckebans/RBDOOM-3-BFG

and specially:
                    https://github.com/OpenTechEngine/OpenTechBFG

Comment

• Guys, PLEASE use Mingw for compile darkplaces

robust compiler for a robust engine
                      the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                        But they are usualy performance hungry...
                        fake caustic-lightning is really performance hungry
                        If you want to test it, test map e1m1 in the cave (where is the superhealth) Not so good effect though and really really laggy

https://anonfiles.com/file/c1a00bef7...8219afb776324f

syluxman2803

Comment

• Hello my friend.

I think I saw this kind of effect a few days ago at inside3d: here
                          Barnes made this kind of effect for his Q2 engine too it seems.

I tested your caustic sample. Very good implementation Nahuel !!
                          It looks already good with vanilla water, but with "DP pretty water" it is simply amazing !
                          I love it. Great job Nahuel !

Best regards

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                            Hello my friend.

I think I saw this kind of effect a few days ago at inside3d: here
                            Barnes made this kind of effect for his Q2 engine too it seems.

I tested your caustic sample. Very good implementation Nahuel !!
                            It looks already good with vanilla water, but with "DP pretty water" it is simply amazing !
                            I love it. Great job Nahuel !

Best regards
                            i think barnes did an engine modification, this is qc based and pretty old stuff but i didn´t share it, i did take the caustic images from tomazquake folder!! I think caustic in dp is a very good idea, but i do not know how implement it -or even if this is possible- :/

syluxman2803

Comment

• Seven, please repair the download link in the first post.

Comment

• Quaketastic <-

Direct linking breaks entirely, scroll down and snag it from the list.

The link should be updated to reflect that link instead,or a new host should be found that will allow direct linking.

I also personally dropped it http://www.filedropper.com/prettydpwaterpackv055seven @ filedropper , the file came directly from quakestastic right now.

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/sin....55__Seven.zip

that link should work too, IDK what is going on. sysop of Quaddicted should be notified lol.
                                Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 12-10-2014, 04:25 PM.
                                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
                                X