No announcement yet.

"DP Pretty Water" Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a beautiful and yet demanding mod. Thanks for the great work on it!

I was able to play the base quake game with it enabled+ darkplaces engine lighting and effects both maxed, on my gtx 660 at 1680x1050 res, with constant 60 fps.

However, map 2 of the hipnotic expansion required me to set "r_water 0", as framerate tanked on that map down to 30 fps in the 2 large water areas.

Comment

• Good times are not always what they seem

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
      laissez bon temps rouler!
      That is a horrendous, grammatically incorrect literal translation that makes absolutely no sense in french. A more accurate translation that doesn't butcher the language would be "payons-nous du bon temps."

Sorry for the off-topic but I'm seeing this mistake quite frequently lately and it makes me cringe. I've even seen it tattooed on a SuicideGirl's belly, which made me LOL pretty hard! Poor girl...
      ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
      ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
        Be sure to also try Webangelīs and Smithīs beautiful water packs and pick the one you like the most. I am sure you will find the right one for you.
        - Webangelīs pack with dp_waterscroll usage
        - Smithīs variation
        Hey Seven, the links to both Webangel's and Smith's variations are dead. I'd very much like to try them.

Comment

• there is a second link in webangel's post that does work
          (right underneath the video)
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Talisa, sorry for the very late reply but I had forgotten about this thread (at the time I didn't know how to subscribe to threads). Thanks, I'll try the link when I'm on a proper computer - I'm typing this on my phone. And what about Smith's?

@anyone who can provide an answer: I'm having an issue with the water edges making weird bright artefacts where they intersect with solid brushes. I remember reading about a simple fix for this but I can't recall where I read that or what the method is. Help?

Also, how can I set different transparency values for water and slime? Both for looking through it from outside and for swimming in it. I don't think slime, or dirty water for that matter, should look as crystal clear as clean water. I remember reading a reply from Seven to Blood Vengeance about tinting the screen when swimming in blood and I think it might be part of the solution, but it's not enough and I don't remember where I read that either.

Originally posted by hgdagon View Post
            Screenshots 1
            Attached Images
            File Type: jpg dp20050222193921-00.jpg (87.7 KB, 15 views)
            File Type: jpg dp20050222193926-00.jpg (73.4 KB, 11 views)
            File Type: jpg dp20050222193948-00.jpg (89.3 KB, 8 views)
            Funny that no-one seems to have noticed it... HGDagon, if you still haven't figured the problem out, your screenshot names indicate that you were using a very old build from 2005.

Edit: Please disregard that last paragraph. Files are named according to the system date, not the build release date. Then again, wrong system dates can cause some whacked out errors, at least on Windows, so maybe there's a fire to the smoke here.
            Last edited by Mugwump; 10-03-2016, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
              That is a horrendous, grammatically incorrect literal translation that makes absolutely no sense in french. A more accurate translation that doesn't butcher the language would be "payons-nous du bon temps."

Sorry for the off-topic but I'm seeing this mistake quite frequently lately and it makes me cringe. I've even seen it tattooed on a SuicideGirl's belly, which made me LOL pretty hard! Poor girl...
              I did google the expression, is an american expression of cajuns (descendants of acadians).
              Perhaps this is an example of the deformation of language. I remember a neighbor, was Breton, had come to South America in the 40. He spoke very fluent Breton (very bad Spanish) and he always said he did not understand the "actual" French. At least curious.

For example: argentinian spanish is more similar to spanish of the Middle Age that the "current" Spanish.

A friend went to Italy, I do not remember what region, her grandmother had taught him the language (a dialect) of that place. When he arrived, nobody understood him. Only the older people.

The languages are very dynamic, they change a lot actually.

"My two cents" here.
              Have a nice day big funny gun six six six.

the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

• Yes Nahuel, it occurred to me afterwards that this might be the case. I remember Daniel Lanois singing stuff that made barely any sense in proper french.

Quebecers also speak a version of french that is much closer to how it was spoken during the Renaissance than to modern french. It often sounds funny to French people.

Comment

@anyone who can provide an answer: I'm having an issue with the water edges making weird bright artefacts where they intersect with solid brushes. I remember reading about a simple fix for this but I can't recall where I read that or what the method is. Help?
                  Aye sir,

You have read it in this thread
                  It is an reflecting distortion issue that happens around water pool edges.
                  You can completely fix it, but you have to pay a price for it: Water surface will lose its reflections.
                  I suggest to only minimize the issue by lowering the default value of r_water_reflectdistort cvar to around half of it. That is how I use it in my personal Quake.
                  But in the end you have to decide wether to have reflection or to have waterpool border glitches.

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
                  Also, how can I set different transparency values for water and slime? Both for looking through it from outside and for swimming in it. I don't think slime, or dirty water for that matter, should look as crystal clear as clean water. I remember reading a reply from Seven to Blood Vengeance about tinting the screen when swimming in blood and I think it might be part of the solution, but it's not enough and I don't remember where I read that either.
                  Hello again,

The brightness will be the same (depending on light sources of course) when you look out of water or into water. Also if you are diving around in water, the view brightness and distance is similar to outisde of water.
                  That is not realistic, yes. I am with you.

I took the challenge and tried to create a mod that changes it. Inside water the brightness and distance should always be less compared to the same map area above the water. Liquids always have higher density and are usually darker (no/less sunlight) and dirty... etc.

In the end I am quite happy with the result and it brings up a lot of new mapping ideas/possibilities to explore underwater areas.

Here is a clip with the new effect/feature enabled and disabled. I think it is quite good to see the difference if you look closely:
                  (You can adjust the view to your personal liking properties. For water and sime independent via cvars)
                  [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVbJkt7ZOdo[/ame]

Best regards,
                  Seven

Comment

I suggest to only minimize the issue by lowering the default value of r_water_reflectdistort cvar to around half of it. That is how I use it in my personal Quake.
                    Thank you! I'll try that. The default setting has a bit too much reflections anyway IMHO, it makes it sometimes hard to see under the surface when the room is brightly lit.

I took the challenge and tried to create a mod that changes it.

You, Sir, are awesome! The result looks fantastic! Is this in the latest SMC update? I currently have only v5.30 installed.

I love your new visor for the biosuit, BTW. The droplets that stick to it when you emerge are a nice touch.

That dog looks pretty cool too. Its body seems maybe a bit too wide but the head looks much better than both the original and the new dog found in SMC 5.30 (which I find even uglier than the original, no offense). I like Capnbubs' dog very much but I'd like to try this version. Which one is it?
                    Last edited by Mugwump; 10-03-2016, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• @BFG666
                      the dog that you can see in seven's clip IS capnbubs' dog

also, i agree that looks great, the underwater darken effect.

will it be compatible with ent-files and such and not conflict with them?

i remember some time ago you and nahuel also came up with a method
                      to do something similar but that method conflicted with ent-files
                      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Originally posted by talisa View Post
                        the dog that you can see in seven's clip IS capnbubs' dog
                        Really?! It must be the FOV setting that makes it look a bit different. That said, I rarely have the chance to see the doggies from the back or the side when playing... Thanks for the info anyway.

Comment

You, Sir, are awesome! The result looks fantastic! Is this in the latest SMC update? I currently have only v5.30 installed.
                          Why arenīt you using the current SMC version ?
                          The official SMC download page lists v5.41 already:

And there is even v5.50 beta3 available since 3 months: click me

You are missing some nice little features with "old" v5.30

And yes, I added the underwater tint effect/feature into the SMC source v5.50. But will most probably not make a new release just because of this. If someone is interested, I can send the progs.dat.

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
                          I love your new visor for the biosuit, BTW. The droplets that stick to it when you emerge are a nice touch.
                          It is in the SMC since v5.41 (link see above).

Originally posted by talisa View Post
                          also, i agree that looks great, the underwater darken effect.

will it be compatible with ent-files and such and not conflict with them?
                          The underwater tint effect is working in all water and slime pools. Indepenedent to maps or .ent files. As it actually checks if the player is underwater and act accordinly.

Originally posted by talisa View Post
                          i remember some time ago you and nahuel also came up with a method to do something similar but that method conflicted with ent-files
                          I can only remember the idea to add fog and/or particles inside of water to make it darker. Yes, those approaches do need .ent files and are not map independent.

Best regards,
                          Seven

Comment

Why arenīt you using the current SMC version ?
                            Because I've just spent a whole afternoon configuring base 5.30 and I'm currently copy/pasting my configuration in the 5.32 update's config file, which takes a fair amount of time. By the way, when I'm done, will I need to delete the duplicates in the 5.30 pk3 or will the 5.32 version supersede them? In that case, I should probably directly install all updates at once and only bother configuring the latest.

And there is even v5.50 beta3 available since 3 months
                            I missed that one, thanks for the heads-up. When I downloaded the 5.41 update a couple weeks ago, the new beta wasn't listed in the first post in the SMC thread.

If someone is interested, I can send the progs.dat.
                            Yes please!

The underwater tint effect is working in all water and slime pools.
                            I'm guessing yes, but just to be sure: do blood and lava also count as "underwater"?

I can only remember the idea to add fog and/or particles inside of water to make it darker. Yes, those approaches do need .ent files and are not map independent.
                            I would love to add bubbles inside the slime. SMC 5.30 has bubbles popping on the surface but none inside, which is a bit weird. Particles like floating dust would also be extra cool in dirty water.

Comment

• Hi. This is my first post here. I tried this mod and it looks great! I've noticed one annoying bug, though: when I'm wading through water (not swimming), it looks like I'm carrying a semi-transparent weapon different from the normal Quake weapons, while at the same time carrying my normal weapon. Has anyone noticed this before? Any plans on fixing it?

Thanks!

Comment

• luigi

you mean your reflection? quake doesnt have different models for the player for each weapon wielded and instead has the player-model holding a generic 'multi-gun'
                                so if you look down at your own reflection, your reflection will be holding this generic multigun, and not the wweapons you're actually wielding.

seven's SMC mod does add v_weps though so taht your reflection will actually be holding the weapon you're wielding:
                                http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...od-compilation

Last edited by talisa; 04-10-2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X