DP New_Teleport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Talisa,

The shader visual changed since october 2011.
    That is exactly what I meant in my post here.
    I also used the august 2011 build until several days ago because of these reasons...

Now that so many positive things have been implemented since 20130301 builds, I started using a newer build (20130618 to be specific) myself.
    I could modify my terrible red teleporter to look acceptable in the new auto's again.

Main reason for the different visual is the shader keyword “blendfunc” and its values (filter, add, blend, …)
    They are handled very different since October 2011.

Regarding your question:
    Yes, just like it was possible to modify the red teleporter, that I use to match the prior visual, you can adjust the stars teleporter to match the visual it had before October 2011 in the new ones.
    It is mainly a tweaking of color and alpha values. Of course you need to change the blendfunc method/value too.
    If you need support, we will help you of course.
    In the meantime, please try this version. I commented all changes so that you can see what was modified. I used V1.2 as base and called it V1.3.
    Maybe it already matches what you are looking for...

Hello Sza,

You mainly need the aniMap shader keyword to achieve what you described. And the tcMod shader keyword family. Fortunately DP supports these.
    So yes, please post your textures of this whirl-effect and an animated teleporter can be done.
    You can use up to 16 texture frames for it.
    You say that you are a texture artist, so you can create this with ease.
    Make the frames “loopable” (so that texture 16 and texture 1 match fluently)
    I am looking forward to see your idea in-game. I like your idea.
    By the way, Moon[Drunk] had a similar idea of an animated teleporter here but with sparkling stars instead of a whirl.

The only problem we might have is the scaling of the texture.
    Original Quake has mainly 2 different teleporter types:
    - Standard is narrow and tall (like the new TV ratio, but 90° turned). Example: start map.
    - Big round teleporters (mainly found at end of map or episodes)

All teleporters use the same texture, that is why we can either finetune them for a) or b).
    Anyway, each of the other will not match the texture ratio and we will have a whirl beside a whirl as a seamless texture

Best wishes,
    Seven

Comment

• blendfunc filter = color value1 * color value2
      lightmaps are used as filters for example

blendfunc blend = ( alpha value * color value 1 ) + (( 1 - alpha value ) * color value 2)
      applying basic transparency

The former makes no sense for a transparent teleport. Some “DP only” scripts here in fact were broken and worked only because:
      Originally posted by Spike View Post
      long story short: dp ignores most of what you tell it to do.
      As more keywords become supported in DP these things show up.

All teleporters are relatively small surfaces and reflections in them are barely visible with small reflect to refract ratio in dp_water.
      So dp_refract only can be used to gain few FPS with very similar visuals, for example:
      Code:
      *teleport
      {
      	{
      		map textures/teleport/teleport.tga
      		tcMod turb 1 2 0.4 0.05
      		tcMod scale 0.35 0.18
      		tcMod scroll 0.1 0.1
      		blendfunc blend
      	}
      	dp_refract 3 0.8 0.8 0.8      
      }
      Last edited by _Smith_; 07-11-2013, 11:43 AM.
      Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

• Hello Smith,

DP supported the blendfunc keyword when the idea of this thread was born.
        I tried all values and chose the best looking. That was "filter".
        It looked really nice for the red teleporter. The screenshots on 1st post shows this condition.
        Why would you say that it makes no sense ?
        It made a lot of sense in that time
        Remember, we use Darkplaces. We cannot rely/trust on formulars from Q3:A shader instruction homepages

Then DP code was changed and blendfunc "filter" was no longer an option.
        So it had to be switched to "add" (which you forget to mention in your post) and with a small tweak of dp_water color values the visual was like it was before. Also the teleporter that Talisa mentioned was modified and looks the it used to, now.
        Nothing else was changed
        All other lines in tier1 kept the same. Tier0 has no influence except deformVertexes which is also supported.

So, what Spike said is of course right. But we have to use what LordHavoc gives us, right ?
        If he supports blendfunc and then changes the code of it, we have to life with it and adept the existing mods according to it. That is all we can do.

And yes, we are talking about "DP_only" shaders here, as they use the "dp_xxx" specific keywords.
        This mod is not usable for FTE, as FTE handles the water differently (better!).
        Spike was so kind and linked examples how to make liquids in FTE look amazing in another thread.

Oh, and lets not start the discussion about a "Light_Teleporter" here again.
        Seanstar already used this "Light" idea for his water. And you know how this ended up.
        If you use "dp_refract" only, you will have no:
        Mirror, mirror on the wall.... who is the baddest ranger in Quake ?
        effect no more
        But as long as you only want distortion, that is an option of course.
        The distortion visual will remain exactly identical compared to "dp_water".
        It only lacks the "mirror, mirror on the wall" effect.

Best wishes,
        Seven

Comment

• blendfunc blend
          shorthand for: blendfunc gl_src_alpha gl_one_minus_src_alpha
          dest = src*img.a+dest*(1-img.a)
          (ie: traditional alpha blending where the screen is somewhere between the original image and the source image based upon the image's alpha value)

blendfunc filter
          shorthand for: blendfunc gl_dst_color gl_zero
          dest = src*dest.rgb + dest*0
          (ie: any part of the source image which is black results in a black part of the screen - see how the stars went brown as in the image behind, there's even faint lines across between the otherwise-invisible stone blocks)

blendfunc add
          shorthand for: blendfunc gl_one gl_one
          dest = src*1 + dest*1
          (ie: source image is added to the screen, ignoring alpha channels entirely)

gl/d3d's blend functions apply where the 'src' is the result of a glsl program, and the 'dst' is the screen that its getting drawn on to. Its quite well documented.

for teleporters I personally prefer warpy reflections to refractions, but its incorrect either way. a 1-way teleporter should be a black hole, while a 2-way teleporter should show the light being transmitted from the other end (a portal, like in portal...). sadly, visible teleporter surfaces are unrelated to the teleporter trigger that they're meant to be part of (with the teleporters themselves unknown to the client), so that effect would require special entities and stuff.
          quake3's portals are weird in that those portals are generally one-way, and send light in the wrong direction. the surfaces are generally part of the world as in quake, with the renderer scanning for a special r-entity sitting within 64qu of the portal surface plane that specifies the destination to 'see', which can potentially bug out if there are two near-co-planar teleporters so I'm not personally happy with that aproach.

talking about quake3, does DP support the 'alphagen portal $DISTANCE' shader construct? it should allow the renderer to skip the reflect/refract stage once the plane gets far enough away (would need blendfunc blend or something that actually uses alpha values, of course).
          Some Game Thing

Comment

• @seven
            awesome thanx, that updated teleport shader works fine in the 2013 DP builds
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• oh nice ill try out this teleporter when i get home from work

edit:

Kicks ass!!!!

loving this on 2013 build
              Last edited by ArDaMaX; 07-13-2013, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sza
                Real nice!
                Where can i find this teleport?

Comment

• right here

edit: woops my bad
                  Last edited by ArDaMaX; 07-16-2013, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• Hello ArDaMaX,

The version you linked is not the version that TR2N meant.

I updated the 1st post now and included most of the teleport variations that have been posted/linked in this thread by various users in the last 3 years.
                    So that people do not need to browse through the complete thread.
                    And that you can better choose the ones you prefer and quickly download it.
                    I added screenshots and/or gif´s (where available) to all versions for better overview.

TR2N,
                    You will find the version you are looking for in the 1st post.

Have fun,
                    Seven

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                      Hello ArDaMaX,

The version you linked is not the version that TR2N meant.

I updated the 1st post now and included most of the teleport variations that have been posted/linked in this thread by various users in the last 3 years.
                      So that people do not need to browse through the complete thread.
                      And that you can better choose the ones you prefer and quickly download it.
                      I added screenshots and/or gif´s (where available) to all versions for better overview.

TR2N,

Have fun,
                      Seven
                      Thank you for doing this Seven.

Comment

• @Seven,
                        is it possible to upload .gifs @ http://www.imgbox.de ??
                        I should change my image provider...

Comment

TR2N,

Have fun,
                          Seven
                          Thank you Seven!

Comment

• Hello,

It was already overdue to summarize/bundle all the variations.
                            It would be a pity if they would have been buried in the thread.

I remember that Spinvis also made a real good (almost 3D) looking texture.
                            But I could not find the download nor a screenshot.
                            Maybe someone still has it (Spinvis, if you read this...)

Hello webangel,

There is this special thread (right here), that has so many .gif´s
                            Some crazy bastard made them manually out of hundreds of screenshots
                            They have been uploaded to imageshack originally.
                            But since imageshack required registration, I was looking for another way for uploading gif´s: imgbox.de was a perfect substitue.

The imageshack screens and gifs are getting lost/deleted regularly.
                            Just now I had to reupload the lava ammo.
                            I can only encourage you to use this provider. They seem to last really long there.

Comment

Hello webangel,

There is this special thread (right here), that has so many .gif´s
                              Some crazy bastard made them manually out of hundreds of screenshots
                              They have been uploaded to imageshack originally.
                              But since imageshack required registration, I was looking for another way for uploading gif´s: imgbox.de was a perfect substitue.

The imageshack screens and gifs are getting lost/deleted regularly.
                              Just now I had to reupload the lava ammo.
                              I can only encourage you to use this provider. They seem to last really long there.
                              I thought imgur.com is good.
                              But I cant upload gifs. For my next gif I try imgbox.de.
                              Thanks!

Comment

• eh imgur used to be good but nowadays the site compresses any picture crazy much which causes artifacts all over...

good for low quality pics or drawings or such, but for fancy HD-pics its not good cuz itll ruin them by compressing them to much
                                imgbox.de doesnt compress pics however
                                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                                > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Working...
                                X