No announcement yet.

Silver Polished Quake Axe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah i just noticed osjclatchford, your Axe runic image blurs out bad with the offsetmapping on. But no worries you have made an amazing axe, i love it. I love how the light reflects off of it now!!!! I look forward to the day you have it completely fixed but i still think its awesome even now.

Comment

thanks.
      still, all credit goes to primevilfor the base skin, all i did was the bump/gloss.

Comment

Originally posted by osjclatchford View Post
        r_glsl_offsetmapping 0 - off
        r_glsl_offsetmapping 1 - on

(it'll knock your fps down a bit though!)
        Yes it does, from about 50 here on my notebook to 35! And it looks better set to 0 then set to 1. For what is this option good for, i don't get it.

Comment

grave_digga,

I am a bit suprised because you asked this question.
          Well, screenshots tell you more than a 1000 words.
          Compare these screens and you will never say again:
          "And it looks better set to 0 then set to 1"

With Parallax Mapping (example 1):

Without Parallax Mapping (example 1):

With Parallax Mapping (example 2):

Without Parallax Mapping (example 2):

With Parallax Mapping (example 3):

Without Parallax Mapping (example 3):

With Parallax Mapping (example 4):

Without Parallax Mapping (example 4):

The only thing you need for it are normal textures.
          And the BEST normals are My-Key´s from QRP team.

Seven
          Last edited by Seven; 12-16-2010, 12:31 AM. Reason: screen for Example 1 got lost

Comment

Well i tried that in E1M1 with Rygel's textures and it looked nearly the same. Now i see from your screenshots that it gives a little depth to the textures. Will try that as soon as my gaming rig is back to life, on my Notebook it makes no sense. Have you got my PN Seven?

Comment

its such an awesome effect, all this time it was hidden under my very nose! LOL

I just thought that sevens screenies looked so good due to his machine being superior (to mine) or something!
              well, it probably is to be honest, but I never dreamed that my rig could even do it, let alone with just one command!
              I assumed it was the qrp textures that looked like that (as I use rygels), I felt so silly yesterday when I found out its a standard dp setting!

still, lives and learns eh?

anyway, I was going to release this axe too, but now this parralaxing conundrum has arised, I was wondering wether I should wait till I can fix it.
              it still works with parallaxing off of course, or you can delete the bump file...
              Last edited by osjclatchford; 12-15-2010, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                osjclatchford,

unfortunately your normal texture doesnt work due to described reasons:

with parallax mapping:

without parallax mapping:

Regards,
                Seven

PS: Same with the NAKs one.
                Check here: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...rmal-maps.html

Comment

my bumps are created as bmp's and then conveted to tga for the engine.
                  so no alphas to be rid of in the first place.

like I said, mine are imbecilically simple.

thanks for trying to help though..

Comment

osjclatchford,

You are talking about bumps and I'm talking about normals, but that gives my idea why axe looks like that with paralaxmapping - bumps are automaticly used as a map for parallaxmapping if there isn't any normal for that texture. So you must convert bump to normal and everything should be ok

Comment

I wouldnt even know where to begin... LOL!

I'm getting the feeling that this is way out of my league.
                      I'm not a photoshopper or anything, hell, all my stuff is made with mspaint and some antiquated art software from the early nineties! (just what I'm used to I guess.)
                      My bumps are simple monocrome/negatives used to reflect the light from the light/dark areas respectively. Without the gloss my bumps don't really work, as its my gloss that has all the hard work and detail in it.

so I guess my stuff is kind of obsolete now.

well, not entirely, My rig slows down so much with offsetmapping on that its almost impossible to play anyway! LOL
                      So I'll be using my bumps on my skins untill I upgrade my pc then I guess they'll have to go!

Comment

Hello osjclatchford,

So all you need now is aprogram that creates normal textures for you.
                        This can be done using the diffuse texture or your bump texture.

My-Key gave me the tip to use the worlds best program to do exactly this:
                        CrazyBump

This is what he also uses, so it must be good

So far I only used it on the diffuse map directly, which gives very satisfying results to me.
                        It is made for kids... I mean it is so easy, that my 5 year old daughter can handle it

So, give it a try.
                        You will, just as myself, LOVE it.

Remember:
                        - once you have normals, bump are no longer needed for the engine !
                        - you must do 1 important setup in CrazyBump: Change the Y-axis to UP direction.

Kind Regards,
                        Seven
                        Last edited by Seven; 12-17-2010, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks.
                          I might give that a try but part of me is saying not to, I mean If I start getting into this i'll never get any work done!

*edited*
                          Ok, I tried crazy bump and to honest was not overly impressed. (nothing personal, just my opinion)
                          the 'normal' result was very blurry in comparison to the bump but I'm sure that is because when you do bumps all the raised detail goes into the gloss and the bump does the depresions. whereas with normals ALL the detail is taken from the normal and the gloss is a much less dominant feature.

To be honest it looked like it was made from cheap plastic! LOL!
                          I tried a simpler gloss (made froma darkened/higher contrast b+w of the texture) but that proved to be even less detailed.

I tweaked the settings with the normal for about an hour or so then decided to leave well alone.

in essence, it don't think normals are for me! LOL I'll leave it to the pros!

I think I will continue to make gloss (and maybe the bumps too) for my stuff, as I love the effect in game and that's what its all for anyway right?
                          Im just upset for you guys; to have released something that looks so good in the screenie and turns out to be a big dissapointment to those with offsetmapping on, still its a learning curve, isn't it.

regards
                          Latchford
                          Last edited by osjclatchford; 12-16-2010, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X