Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quake Revitalization/Retexturing Project official release (preview)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for fun...
    I´m working on some gloss textures based on Moons great work.
    They are really extrem and I know that I have some errors in my scripts

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic2NK5KfRkE]Extremely Glossy Quake - YouTube[/ame]

Please watch this 720p HD....

Comment

Glad to see you working on Quake again Webangel!

Comment

@Jeff,
        I never stopped working on Quake really...
        I just don't have enough time to do everything I want....

I am glad that you are still here my friend!

Comment

Can't wait to see this Webangel!

Comment

Hello webangel,

Thank you for your engagement and tireless work !
            Your actual glossy-project reminds me of FC Zvyozdochka´s thread.
            He also put a huge effort into them (also based on QRP´s diffuse).

But it is always great to be able to use different content.
            Please be careful with the "plastic" aspect of gloss textures though.
            But you are surely fully aware of this.

Hau rein.
            Viele Gruesse,
            Juergen

Comment

Well done WebAngel this looks really effective (well, in the video anyway) Is there a downloadable pak us none-DP users can try?

Kind regards (and keep up the good work)

Monty
              Mr.Burns
              "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
              WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
              Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

yeah i instantly had to think of FCZ's work too when i saw your post W@.
                didnt he already make gloss maps for both ID1 and HIPNOTIC completely?

also, i agree with seven about the plastic-ness look of your gloss maps. as you said yourself they're very overly extreme, and thats exactly what my thought was when i watched the clip, that all of quake looks very plasticy in your clip. gloss should be subtle and light, like how FCZ did his gloss-maps.
                so try and keep glossiness low to prevent getting stuff to look like plastic, or even worse if you really overdo it, like polished chrome

also, be sure to not just add gloss to everything. a lot of things shouldnt have any glossiness at all whatsoever, like the brick walls. it just looks silly and downright ugly if brick walls have gloss cuz they shouldnt have gloss at all.
                so be carefull with adding gloss to certain texture, cuz some things like brick walls and such look bad with gloss added to them

anyways, interested to see your work still
                nice to see someone work on stuff like this again. totally love FCZ's gloss-maps, and hope you can improve on that and make even better ones
                Last edited by talisa; 02-09-2013, 08:09 AM.
                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

The gloss really accentuates the overdone normal maps (this is where the plastic look originates, actually), which is a bit unfortunate. You'd have to create a new batch of normals that aren't quite as extreme, in my opinion, to get the material to look right with gloss.

All these different maps - bump, gloss, diffuse - are supposed to work together. This functions best when all the parts are done at the same time, with all other parts in mind.

But here, one guy did the diffuse maps with shadows drawn on, the next guy added very bumpy normals without regard for anything else, and now gloss is added as an afterthought.

What should be done is modify Moon's diffuse maps to remove all the lighting and depth information in them, then create some mild normals, and add gloss mainly to metal (and perhaps wood) parts.

Rusty metal isn't usually glossy at all, btw, and lots of Quake's metal is rusty or has patina on it - things like that riveted wizmetal.
                  Scout's Journey
                  Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
                  X