Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sure thing

theres a loooooot of effect entries in the effect-info though,
    so might take you a while to adjust them all so they are restored back to how they were
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

I just got started on dp about a week ago,
      I dont really know how things were
      I just knew the start area particle effects werent right
      because seven included a screenshot of start misson
      and mine in game looked weak in comparison.
      If I dont notice it , it wontbother me.

Comment

Please slowly....
        You are mixing 2 different things up.

This thread is about the replacement bboxes models.
        It is totally independent to the "small mod compilation".
        And it does not need a custom progs.dat either.

The rootcause for muribundiīs initially described exploding box issue is the default cvar setting in the DP builds 20130301 and newer for:
        sv_gameplayfix_setmodelrealbox
        It must be set to "1". That is all you need to fix it.

Now you start talking about the "small mod compilation", which has another thread:
        click me softly

There is no issue with standard particle effects in DP builds 20130301 and newer.
        The mentioned "baked_explode" effect looks identical in all builds.
        The only issue with DP builds 20130301 and newer are the "custom particle map effects".
        Like you see it in the screenshot from start map, that muribundi mentioned, for example.
        (If you have issues with standard particle effects, then it has another reason)

And you surely do NOT want to edit each effectinfo entry.
        I posted a fix for these "custom map effects" in the above mentioned thread.
        You do not need to edit anything, because the adaption for the new DP builds is in the code.

If you have further questions on this "particles" topic, please use the linked thread.
        That helps to keep the overview and makes it easier to find solutions if someone is looking for them in the future.
        Thank you.

Best wishes,
        Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
          sv_gameplayfix_setmodelrealbox "1"
          Any way to make this automatic?? Like, what should I add to the pk3 to have this cvar set to 1 everytime the pk3 is installed (placed in id1 folder)?
          MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Comment

@hg
            adding the line to your autoexec.cfg will do that
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

@talisa
              no, I mean how do have the cvar set when I install the pk3 and have it unset when I delete the pk3. e.g. if I add shaderbox.cfg to the pk3 with the cvar will it be loaded or should I type "exec shaderbox.cfg" to the console? autoexec.cfg is good but I must add and delete it everytime and I need something automatic. Maybe I'm not explaining good enough? English is still hard for me...
              MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Comment

Hello hgdagon,

This cvar was enabled for many years.
                Did it harm your game in any way ?
                If not, then why not enable it again ?

You will notice no negative sideffect ( I promise ).
                I would not recommend it otherwise.
                Seven

Comment

@seven

ah sorry, i didnt know that fix you released fixed all the particle-effects back to normal,
                  i thought it only was a fix for that the changed flames in start-map didnt work

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                    Dear all,

inspired by Reforged Teamīs shader-animated Shub-Niggurathīs heartbeat, I wanted to add shader animation to other models/textures as well.

Loving most of Ruohisīs work, it was clear for me to start with b_boxes.
                    Simply because it makes Quake a little more "real" and "living".

Being a great QRP fan, I chose Ruohisīs faithful b_box ammo set and made it very QRP-like,
                    but with High Poly models and a little more rough/worn look.

Just when I finished 12 of 14 boxes, OoPpEe brought the idea of "smart modeling" to live.
                    A huge advantage in lowering computer resources due to less texture load/usage/handling.
                    We put our heads together and decided to modify 7 of 14 boxes.
                    That was necessary to keep the wonderful visuals, but gain the low performance impact.
                    An ideal combination that gives everybody the possibility to use this pack (independent of hardware).

But letīs end the writing and look at pictures (they say more than a thousand words).

We are proud to present the result:
                    (Please excuse the low quality of the GIF files.
                    Some of them contain over 25 screenshots !)

1.) ID1 boxes:

Battery ammo:

Nail ammo:

Rocket ammo:

Shell ammo:

2.) Mission Pack 2 - DoE boxes:

Lava nail ammo:

Plasma ammo:

Multi-Rocket ammo:
                    (due to overlapping double-shader animation usage, it was NOT possible
                    to make a smooth GIF file. In-game everything is smooth of course !)

3.) Exploding boxes (they are not included in this pack ! Download them here):

Exploding boxes ('gif' from small box is missing):

4.) Health boxes (they are not included in this pack ! Download them here):

Health boxes:

Installation:
                    Today only DarkPlaces supports shaders to use this pack.
                    Drop the ID1 .pk3 into your ID1 folder
                    Drop the Rogue .pk3 into your ROGUE folder
                    If you cannot see any difference in-game, make sure that you don't use/have any other external b_boxes.

I released a "classic" version without shaders (to be able to use this pack with other engines): here

Credit goes to:
                    - Ruohis for his wonderful models
                    - OoPpEe for his innovative smart modeling and tireless support
                    - Plague for his Rocket (used inside Multi-Rocket ammo boxes)
                    - kingennio for his primary idea of Lava nail box texture
                    - QRP for their all-time inspiration
                    - Quakeone.com for giving us Quake-addicts the possibility to share our thoughts, ideas and work
                    - MakeGif 2.0 for the best GIF-creation program on both sides of the Mississippi

I would be happy if you give some Feedback. Thank you.

DOWNLOAD, alternative DOWNLOAD

Kind Regards,
                    Seven
                    Those boxes look awsome!

Comment

• Awsome seven,now all my problems are fixed.
                      Now just to play the eyecandy or performance tradeoff game.
                      Running on a10 gpu graphics alone,wich is better than you might think
                      but I think I am lacking vram to run full dark places pretty.
                      Particles are fixed for me (the readme is correct it brings my fps to its knees)
                      beautiful shader boxes blow up as they should.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                        Hello hgdagon,

This cvar was enabled for many years.
                        Did it harm your game in any way ?
                        If not, then why not enable it again ?

You will notice no negative sideffect ( I promise ).
                        I would not recommend it otherwise.
                        Seven
                        well, if you say so, Seven, I believe you.
                        It's clear now, I'll have it enabled in autoexec.cfg, with or without the pk3

SOLVED

But I'm wondering about now, why did LordHavoc get rid of that cvar? Thare had to be some reason right? No way I can find this out from the readme, as it says, it's last been updated in 2007 and I have no idea where to get updated info on DP...
                        Call me a noob, but I don't...

Comment

• the sv_gameplayfix_setmodelrealbox cvar, while more correct, results in different entity sizes and these different entity sizes can break mods (or mend them, in which case the mod was never a quake mod but really just a dp (only) mod).
                          It defaulting to 1 breaks various mods, for instance QuakeRally.
                          The cvar still exists. Mods that depend upon it should simply ensure that it is set inside their worldspawn function, or inside the relevent .cfg file (but in worldspawn is more robust). The warning that results from doing so in other engines serves as a handy warning to say 'this mod only works in a single engine'.

Of course, if the mod always does a setsize call after every setmodel call, the cvar is completely pointless.
                          Some Game Thing

Comment

• Hello Spike,

The problem in this case is, that there is no qc-mod used.
                            It is vanilla Quake and no progs.dat is used.

The problem in this case is, that a replacement model leads to issues as described by muribundi.
                            Using the replacement modelīs different size with vanilla progs.dat is the root cause.

In the past years (as this cvar was "silently" enabled to the majority users) nobody noticed this issue.
                            Now that LH decided to disable all of his gameplayfixes many many issues have been revealed. Of course due to different reasons.
                            People was "used" to this cvar beeing enabled and therefore didnt think/care too much about keeping some restrictions, that otherwise might lead to issues.

Regarding your note about breaking mods if enabled:
                            Mods should usualy be put into different folders than id1.
                            So the autoexec in that folder can disable it if needed.

Unfortunately there is no other way to keep that exploding bbox (made by OoPpEe) working properly without edit the model itself.

If LordHavoc didnt change those cvars, all of this problems would have not been appeared.
                            Which is on the other side good, because it tells us that we can never rely on something.
                            Life is is a continuous procedure

Comment

• Hello,

I had an idea which I wanted to try.
                              Could this be interesting ?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqV6v_FGaw4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUbX7uVIXqMzBza0YmLJuMdw]Quake shader and particle animated ammo boxes test - YouTube[/ame]

It might be hard to see in the clip ...
                              Look at the red wire and slits on the top

Comment

• hmm nah, it seems a bit odd... why would there come smoke out of a battery-cell?\
                                and i think it would be to subtle to really notice when running around

...and i also personally use different models,
                                but that aside, im not really feeling the effects personally

the smoke is a bit odd imo, and the sparks you barely can even see even in your clip where you are standing completely still and staring at the item

Comment

Working...
                                X