Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ogre and zombie aiming mod

Aiming mod is now included in Seven's SMC

All info in this thread is outdated, in fact this thread could be locked.

Ogre and zombie aim mod.

It allows ogres and zombies aim in z-axis, and allow ogres to throw grenades further.
    Result is best visible on e1m3: ogre behind the bars at the beginning couldn't throw grenade into corridor it was always bouncing back of the step, no more. Then if you go right way and entered small bridge zombies below would throw meat under the bridge now they hit you on the bridge. And so on...

Credits go to Entar and DrLabman from inside3d. I've used part of their code from the guides section and done only small modifications. Goal was to make behavior of this enemies more believable and fun to play, than both vanilla and Entar/DrLabman versions. Making them more challenging was not the main goal, but of course they are a bit more difficult than vanilla now.

Everyone aware of quake development history knows that John Carmack forced the team to rush the hell out of this game after he managed to finally finish the engine. So It's possible that vanilla aiming code was just a placeholder that stayed in because of rushed development. I consider it just as much a bugfix as a modification and find it more fun to play that way.
    Last edited by _Smith_; 12-10-2011, 05:51 AM.
    Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Link doesn't work here.
    Regular One Man Slaughterhouse

Comment

I've just tried and it works maybe you tried to download during switch to v1.01 try again.
      Last edited by _Smith_; 08-12-2011, 05:13 AM.
      Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

Eh rapidshare updated some code that broke it in firefox or something, had to reload page about 10 times to get it to work.

Comment

Doesn't work..
          The readme just explains how to deactivate it..
          200 años de mi querido PARAGUAY
          14/05/1811

Comment

Yeah, I can't get it to work either ? =]

I have seven's small mod compilation 3.1 installed and that works.

Comment

Works fine here. It should look like this:

Simply press the green download button and then it works. Maybe you have some kind of ad blocker installed that causes the problem. Then simply temporary disable it you'll get no harm from rapidshare.

Comment

It Works !

@ daniocampo1992, Roy Batty

I don't know what are you up to guys it works just fine.

You have to drop both smc3.1.pk3 and addon.pk3 into id1\ and addon have to be named so it go after smc3.1.pk3 in loading order.
                You can also open pk3 and copy progs.dat into id1\ it will work 100%.

Result is best visible on e1m3: ogre behind the bars at the beginning couldn't throw grenade into corridor it was always bouncing back of the step, no more. Then if you go right way and entered small bridge zombies below would throw meat under the bridge now they hit you on the bridge. And so on...

Edit: I've also given an ogre 30% chance to undershoot a bit on purpose, so there is a bit more chaos and it feel less robotic, but he still always shoot better than vanilla.

It's activated by default. You can turn it off by typing: set ozaim 0 in autoexec.cfg. Turn back on by: set ozaim 1, or deleting this entry.
                Last edited by _Smith_; 08-13-2011, 05:18 AM.

Comment

I just installed the pk3 and it works great. I only could play for a few minutes but from what I can see the Ogres are a far more dangerous opponent now. I already got killed several times because I wasn't expecting they could hit me. I shudder to think what this will do on Nightmare as Ogres often had trouble reaching you with their grenades.

Thank you for making and uploading this change.

Comment

Hrm, I extracted the progs.dat and put it there (I extract all pk3's, so they don't interfere with each other). I'm not sure why it doesn't work, maybe the version of dark places I'm using doesn't work right with it or something.

Comment

Hrm, I extracted the progs.dat and put it there (I extract all pk3's, so they don't interfere with each other).
                      Than make it sure that you overwrited Seven's progs.dat using mine.

It's better to repack pk3s in logical manner, but keep that in pk3s it makes it much easier to add, remove, update something later. Because you have data logically organized and separated. Take a look how I've done it in my QuakeHD for new spawns pack.

Edit:
                      Pk3s are loaded in alphabethical order. The data from ones loaded later overvrite data from earlier ones. If there is the same texture with different extension ( jpg, png, tga ) alphabetically later extension overwrite even if it is in earlier pk3. Unpacked data are loaded last and overwrite pk3s. Original data PAK are loaded first and get overwritten by everything that comes after them.
                      Last edited by _Smith_; 08-13-2011, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Darkplaces seems to load the texures in this order:
                        jpg, tga, png
                        PNG file overtake TGA.

Comment

Thanks for correcting me ooppee.

@JH24 I can only add, that they're not that much more difficult once you get rid of old habits of not even bothering to dodge in certain situations.

If I had implemented adjustment to current player velocity they would be a real pain in the ass. One could drop a grenade in a place where you are dodging from other But I've decided that such complicated behavior does not fit ogres concept, other monsters don't do that either and it would create terrible difficulty spikes, since maps are not balanced for it.

Comment

Yep I know the routine with how pk3's are loaded, and what order gfx get loaded. I extract the pk3's to own folders and copy over that which I wish to use for the graphics and models, and check everything else to make sure there is no conflict. Of course I copied over your progs.dat and overwrote seven's.

Maybe it only works on certain difficulty levels, I will check that. I've been playing on easy or normal for now to get the maps memorized again before I go to hard again.

:EDIT:

Ok yes I checked, it works fine on normal and hard difficulty, but not on easy. =]
                            Last edited by Roy Batty; 08-14-2011, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Nope, you had to change something so it started to work, difficulty has nothing to it.

*link removed*
                              Explosion particle effect included in SMC3.1 cause game to lag when you get hit in the face ( lots of particles displayed in fullscreen ), so I've done alternative version where ogre drop grenade on your feet when outside his original range, so the lag happens a bit less often. Previous one still available in the opening post.

Edit: New version with optimized effectinfo.txt in the opening post.
                              Last edited by _Smith_; 08-15-2011, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X