Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seven View Post
    Hello Cataflexia,

You must know that there is replacement stuff for EVERYTHING in Quake !

So, sure there is also a replacement "sound fx compilation" for Quake.

The most famous is Mindgrids sound compilation.
    Unfortunately he used slightly different sounds for each file.
    So you will have a slightly different sound-feeling when using it.

Then there is the 100% faithful but resampled and improved sound pack from unknown (resampled to 44.1KHz 16bit).
    It is the best choice if you want 100% faithful Quake sounds, but with multiplied ambience/appearance !

Then there is this sound pack from a guy called Seven, who simply mixed both above mentioned packs into one, which sounds best to him. With some additional sounds (he always seems to do this).

So take your choice and test them.

Have fun,
    Seven
    Thanks a lot Seven!!!!

I love the Mindgrid FX Sounds !!!

But the link that CarVio shared are broken

I guess that's old post in 2011

So, I've searched, and I found the link for this impresive work. Here's...

QuakeWorld GFX - Other / Sounds / Mindgrid:audio High-resolution Quake 1 sounds

And again, thanks a lot for this news, it is exactly what I wanted.

See ya!

PS: Oh! your sound pak are great too.

Comment

Do you guys play Super Mario with replacement sounds too?
      Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Dear Spirit,

Please leave others their otherness.
        Yes, it is clear as the sun, that many people love Quake as it is.
        But there are all individuals out there.

Some like chocolate icecream, others like vanilla icecream.
        Please be easy with people, just because they have another liking than you.

Why are there different Quake engines out there ?
        I guess because there are people who like to play with different engines.

Why did Moon[Drunk] created textures that look like the original ones ?
        Is it because he is mad ?
        I think not. Because there are people out there who like them.

Please leave others their otherness...

You know I love you because of your passion for Quake and for your unlimited archive.
        And I will always love you Spirit.
        Ich werde die Quake Gemeinde nun verlassen.
        Und hoffe, dass Du dies niemals tun wirst.
        Bleib so wie Du bist mein Freund (aber sei nicht so hart mit den Anderen).

Take care,
        Seven

Comment

You are taking it a bit too seriously Seven. Can't you just shrug off a small jab at yourself ?
          There can not be any good discussion, or healthy atmosphere, if we talk about our hurt feelings, every time someone makes a little fun out of us.

There is some prise for these replacements in this thread and Spirit's critical opinion is equally valuable.
          Don't censor others and don't allow lighthearted jab get too deep under your skin.

I don't like mindgrid pack. Seven's pack is better, some of the sounds are pretty good and fitting, but I still prefer originals overall.
          If anything, it's because these sounds are burned too deep into my mind. The game just feels wrong to me, when it doesn't sound familiar.

Edit: This awesome hoax will haunt quakeone forever...
          Last edited by _Smith_; 01-09-2013, 04:06 PM.
          Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

The reason why I am so negative about these things is that to me, they are a degradation in quality compared to Quake. Sure, Quake is low resolution (in all ways) but it is fairly coherent and a good game as it is.

To me, pretty much all the replacement things are altering the game in one way or the other that it leads to something that is not faithful to the original and most of the time a potpourri of inferior quality. Overly exaggerated colored lighting, cheesy effects, comic like textures. Right now the frontpage of this website shows the spit of scrags in a bright neon color that illuminates the surroundings. What the fuck!?

And then people start recommending to absolute newcomers to install these (to me inferior) mods right away and never play the (to me superior) original game. I find that to be a real problem as it degrades Quake for strangers.

In terms of Super Mario, Secret Maryo Chronicles - News would be kind of an equivalent (of being inferior to SMC). Don't tell me someone who wants to play SMC should play that instead.

I am not visiting this website much anymore and I try to refrain from commenting on such projects. But all the "You just installed Quake on Steam? Install this BLINGBLING now and change the game!" drives me up the walls. What, you like Metallica but the old albums were not mastered well? Have some Rammstein!

Comment

Hello Spirit

A few clarifications:

1. I believe all the people who posted screenshots in this newspost thread made me a disservice:
              • Baker cranked up contrast on the screen with scraag. When you actually check this screenshot on my modDB page it has much more subtle lighting and even that one has increased contrast compared to how it actually really look in game on my default settings. This bolt is passing very close to the wall, you can rarely see something like that and it's only for a split second. I've used this screenshot because it shows realtime lighting in action. Believe me, you don't want to see how bright this effect was and how awful large and intense decal it was leaving before I've toned it down
              • turtlevan's screenshots have nothing to do with my compilation and look absolutely terrible,
              • bluntz turned on: glossmode 2, increased offset mapping, also probably did something with lighting: turned on HDR, increased lightmaps brightness or contrast, or all of it,

There are few overdone and cheesy colored lights here and there added by incub0, but these are isolated instances. It looks acceptable to me, even if I would prefer it without them. Maybe I'll bother to remove them one day. I am not suggesting, you'll like it, but it is not as bad as these screenshots made it look. If you actually tried it, it's ok, but if not - download it, so you know exactly what you criticise. You can accuse it of looking cartoonish, but not inconsistent imo.

2. Original Quake:

You know what ? All things considered, I prefer original look too. The second line in my readme says:
              Original Quake still has unmatched, unique atmosphere. To just play pure, unaltered Quake on a modern OS – check: Quake_Classic\00_QP_README.pdf
              “Quake Classic” included in the compilation is configured exactly like you recommend it on your website. In fact, I had straight recommendation to play it that way on the first playthrough, but there was a lot of bitching that I piss on the efforts of people whose works I use, so I reworded it. No matter how it is worded, you can't force people to have a good taste. The people who are unable to enjoy Quake the way it is, probably wouldn't have played it anyway even if qhd compilation didn't exist.

Seeing some screenshots here, I knew someone will soon release an absolutely awful pack that become the way masses play Quake. If it was going to happen anyway, I've decided to provide “reasonable” alternative first. Bad scenario happened anyway and much more people play that sad psychedelic parody of Quake, than my pack. You'll probably say, that there is not much of a difference between them, but there is actually much of a difference in my opinion.

To summarise, I believe QHD has a right to exist because:
              • It's a guilty pleasure, to make a play through with some of this stuff for a change
              • It's a lesser evil, compared to alternatives and stuff, that most of people are assembling themselves
              • You can't force people to have a good taste and enjoy original Quake anyway
              Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

For the love of God guys..EVERYONE has their own preferences. Why, oh why, can't people just state they have their preference without bashing another's work??? I can agree with you Smith that there are times we need to be able to laugh at ourselves, but there is no reason for mean spiritidness ever IMO. (not that it's happening here)

Let's accept the differences and embrace them as that just makes Quake better for all of us doesn't it?

Comment

If Spirit stops to fight his good fight here, this place will definitely become less of itself. There should be a space for “mean bastards” too.
                  He fights for the stuff he believes in and dedicated substantial part of his life time to.
                  You've people turned this thread, he made to mock some stuff, into replacement content appreciation station.
                  You were asking for it... I think he contained himself pretty well

When I've red the comment about Super Mario sounds replacements it made my day. I thought “Spirit... Spirit never changes...”
                  Trying to take him on a guilty trip because of it, I appreciate a lot less.

I can assure you Spirit, you've influenced me. QHD would be even more “terrible” if not for your presence here.
                  I am talking not only about including “quaddicted pack” in the download, but also about HD pack itself.
                  In fact I was thinking for a long time, that you were FellowQuaker on modDB, what is not true in the end.
                  But I was not angry because of this score. It was reminder that not everyone is happy about existence of this pack and this awareness had a good influence.

Quake HD Pack is not a replacement for original Quake and is not better by definition because it's “highres”. It's its own entity, with its own qualities and drawbacks.
                  If there are people who don't understand this, it's not a fault of the people who worked on all the content I've used, or mine.
                  Last edited by _Smith_; 01-16-2013, 11:34 AM.

Comment

A lot of my "mean bastard"ness (I am actually a tiny bit offended but don't worry!) are unreasonably high quality standards, but I cannot help myself. I stopped commenting mostly. Often there definitely is talent and much more of that then I ever have, but then I compare things to professionally made works or even just Quake itself and wonder how people can praise the new stuff in comparison. I myself find constructive critic much more desirable than being sugar coated in empty compliments. That I have often given up and instead post snarky sarcasm/cynism is sad and I am trying to reduce it.

gdiddy, I tried to make clear that I am lobbying against these things because of the "misleading newbies" aspect. Other evil spiritness has been reduced to talk about things behind everyone's back.

Sounds like I have to give the HD pack a try. rygel's compilation or that ego trip pack always make me wonder how people can enjoy such a crappy shiny game.

I loved the mega crappy neogenesis skins once, Tei had packs for Telejano. I also loved the over the top effects in Telejano. That stuff can be fun, if only because it is changing the game ("OMG that is possible? Cool!"!) you bought and thought of as set in stone. Modding is awesome!

My Super Mario comment is in all honesty. Think about it, where is the difference? Imagine Super Mario with bloom, lens flares and realistic sounds.

Comment

I want only to add, that I absolutely understand where you're coming from and “mean bastard” wasn't serious.

I think you understood this, but you've worded your post in such a way, that I want to make it clear. It's my crappy English probably.

Comment

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, and more or less cannot be wrong! I will state that if not for custom content(new engines, hires textures, new models, skins and now hidef sounds etc) I would never have started playing Quake again.

I'm a bit picky on my choice of modded content though. But I understand if others want Quake to like like Doom 3. I do not.

I want my Quake to look a better Quake, not over the top. Basically, I like both the sound packs posted. I also love the hires textures and some of the colored lighting. When it's over the top in a level it kills the effect for me. The DP pretty water... well, I'm a bit torn on that. While it is pretty, for me, I feel it's just not quite right somehow, but thats fine.

I've tried to assemble mods that add to the experience without altering it beyond belief! But this is not to be confused at all with staying completely "faithful". If that was the only way to play Quake well... there sure would be a ghost town of quake related websites, mods, forums etc all around.

As an example, I played with the Q2 weapons for Q1... NOW, I did like the way the weapons display on screen, way better than the phallic symbolly looking Q1 weapons display!!! But that was it. The sounds and weapons simply didn't mesh well with the game play.

So I applaud, and welcome, the efforts of those who take the time to create new content and effects and simply incorporate the ones I personally like. The way it should be

- damage_
                        Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

Originally posted by _Smith_ View Post
                          I want only to add, that I absolutely understand where you're coming from and “mean bastard” wasn't serious.

I think you understood this, but you've worded your post in such a way, that I want to make it clear. It's my crappy English probably.
                          Of course! No worries.

Comment

Working...
                          X