DP glossy materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP glossy materials

I have made a pack for QRP textures (both id1 and Hipnotic ones) that adds specific glossyness to some textures and make materials look like they actual should look. No plastic-like gloss that was typical for Tenebrae, steel shines like steel, copper looks like copper, concrete and stained metal are not glossy at all.
    This pack also contains fixed normalmap for the z_exit texture and additional reflectmaps for some textures.
    Also this texture set is splitted into 2 different packs for id1 and Hipnotic, mainly for those who use Rygel's retexture for id1 maps. Others could just put both packs into id1 folder.

This mod needs Webangel's "Reflecting overload" mod for the the best look (and I believe reflecting mod needs this one, it's a synergy ), but there is ability to work without any other mods (except QRP retexture of course).

Download pack v1.2

Older versions are still here:
    Download pack v1.1
    Download pack for Hipnotic maps only
    Download pack for id1 maps only

Instructions to download from Russian filehosting:

Here is an old WiP subject thread.
    Last edited by FC Zvyozdochka; 05-07-2012, 05:28 AM.

Hello

The gloss is a bit too strong for me... which is a good thing, bacause it is a bit too strong on most of available stuff.
    You've simply made it consistent with what was made already. Thanks to that everyone can adjust it to taste with dp cvars.

It need to be added to autoexec.cfg because for some reason DP doesnt't save these cvars in config.cfg, I use:
    "r_shadow_glossexponent""48" // makes gloss more metallic - weaker but more concentrated, default value 32
    "r_shadow_glossintensity""0.8" // gloss brightness, default value 1

Edit 3: In fact gloss heavily depend on the light maps you use. The values I provided look nice with Incb0's rtlights and rtlightmaps value 0.8 I use.
    If you use much darker relight by FC Zvyozdochka, or use lower rtlights value you may want default "r_shadow_glossintensity""1"

Really great pack. Thanks. It was the only thing I've missed from Rygel's pack.

***( old stuff )
    Edit1: The screens I was talking about are due to _reflect maps that lack a shader to use them, so they appear whiteish in game.
    I've removed them since I don't think they're good fit for reflect. You should either, add a shader to the pack to use them, or remove them.
    Edit2: _reflect maps in question are: twall1_1_reflect, twall2_6_1_reflect, twall2_6_2_reflect, twall2_6_3_reflect, z_exit_reflect
    Last edited by _Smith_; 07-31-2012, 03:21 PM.
    Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback, Smith.
      bacause it is a bit too strong on most of available stuff.
      Yep, I've been oriented on existing QRP glossy textures, so all the glossy textures have about the same maximum of the intensity and are compatible with QRP pack glossmaps in that way. This is why you actually should not see glaringly glittering spots on the softly gleaming background with this pack. But if all the gloss seems to be too bright for you - then you can adjust it with cvars you've mentioned. Thank you for their names by the way, it may be helpful for many people!

Anyway, I forgot to include shader file for reflecting textures which caused that issue with white reflections, and I also forgot to make glossmap for light3_1. Both these things are included now into the reuploaded pack, which could be found in the first post.
      Last edited by FC Zvyozdochka; 04-19-2012, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Any plans to split into ID1 and HIPNOTIC packs? Nice work BTW, shows up the textures a lot better than the original works-
        There is no Dana, only Zuul

Comment

Well, I wonder who would want to use QRP hipnotic pack without QRP id1 pack, mixing QRP hipnotic with Rygel's id1 would look terrible...
          Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

newbs like me will easily add your neat awesome feature with the other guys neat awesome feature, and then wonder why it doesn't work and/or doesn't look like the pictures you've posted as examples.

Something that no one ever considers is will my feature be compatible with the SLEW of other features in existance prior to yours. I myself have Rygel (the largest filesize set) and wouldn't think twice about removing it from my DarkPlaces folder before trying this addon.

+1 to Smith for pointing out the key problem with DarkPlaces custom mod's. It's fVcking CHAOS
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Xolve, I may split this pack into 2 different ones, but there is no need to do - SoA will found all its glossmaps in id1 folder. If it is not so in your case and some issues exist - I'll make 2 packs, it is easy.

Mindz, this pack is hardly compatible with Rygel's. First, Rygel's textures differ with the last QRP ones. Second, they already have their own glossmaps (they are untidy IMO but they exist).
              Anyway, it is a bad idea to simply mix Rygel pack for id1 and QRP pack for SoA.
              But you can make a special mod to see how it looks with QRP textures and subject glossmaps - make a subfolder in your DP folder, name it for example "QRP_gloss", put QRP retexture packs into it with subject glossy pack, just in case - add one "z" letter in the beginning of every QRP pack. You'll have 3 pack files in that folder - QRP id1 diffuse maps, QRP id1 normalmaps and my glossmaps. Now start game with "-game QRP_gloss" parameter. You'll see how it looks with QRP textures and my glossmaps. And there is no need to delete Rygel's pack at all!

Even though following things are known by many people, still there are those who don't know it, so I think it need to say some words about installing pack files into DP folders:
              All the mods (including original MP's) first seek their files in the ID1 folder. So if you put this pack and QRP texture pack into id1 folder - then SoA will load all its textures from id1 folder and will work fine even if there is no retexture pack in HIPNOTIC folder. And even more - if some other mods, for example MP2, are using Hipnotic's textures - these mods will find override for them in id1 folder. So the best way to do IMHO is to put all QRP retexture packs into id1 folder and this will work fine.
              But some textures already have glossmaps for them. How to make them overrided with new glossmaps? That's easy - pack file with overrides should stand after original retexture pack file in alphabetical order. That's why so many pack files' names starts from "z" letter.
              Last edited by FC Zvyozdochka; 04-20-2012, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

they look great FC, keep up the good work
                  are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                  > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                  everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Yes, if you want evidence of how well this can improve the looks of your game, look at the mines in Hipnotic as they now come to life!!

Great work FC!

Comment

yeah, and E1M1 looks so much more alive and real too cuz of the awesome gloss maps added to all the pipes and wires and such <3
                      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by FC Zvyozdochka View Post
                        Xolve, I may split this pack into 2 different ones, but there is no need to do - SoA will found all its glossmaps in id1 folder. If it is not so in your case and some issues exist - I'll make 2 packs, it is easy.
                        Thanks Zvyozdochka,
                        for those of us using rygels for id1 that'd be appreciated.
                        This looks great on the qrp textures, particularly the brass door.
                        There is no Dana, only Zuul

Comment

Originally posted by xolve View Post
                          Thanks Zvyozdochka,
                          for those of us using rygels for id1 that'd be appreciated.
                          This looks great on the qrp textures, particularly the brass door.
                          Your request has been made Check out the first post to download splitted packs.
                          Have a nice game!

Comment

I'm getting the missing texture checkerboard effect going on with certain textures (pipe textures I believe). I'm using QRP as far as I'm concerned... I see this in E1M1 in the Slime / Ramp room and E4M1 in various areas (one in particular is the lift raising up out of the water that takes you to the keycard). What exactly is going on here?
                            Soundtracks and Instrumentals
                            MyMusic | Youtube

Comment

Hello Primeval,

The reason why you see the "missing texture checkerboard" is, because FC Zvyozdochka did not add the cubemaps into his release.

He used a shader file in his release, but did not include the necessary cubemaps.
                              Example:
                              textures/cubemaps/twall2_1

Some people dont have this problem, because they use webangels Reflecting_Overload pack in parallel.
                              Webangel has the cubemap textures in her pack.
                              That is why it is working for those who use it.

FC Zvyozdochka,
                              You should include this cubemap folder in your release too.
                              Because not all people use both packs.

Best wishes,
                              Seven

Comment

Working...
                              X