No announcement yet.

New id1 relight (rtlights+lightmaps)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey FCZ these are great! Thank you very much.

I have a small req, could you make these also for the full e2m6 map which MH did? That would be really great!

Cheers
    Regular One Man Slaughterhouse

Comment

Still available?

Sorry to bump an old thread (and as my first post), but the download links to this are no longer working and I was wondering if anyone could host this somewhere?

This relight is just what I was looking for to be able to enable RT lighting without totally killing my frame rate.

Comment

Originally posted by David_OSU View Post
        Sorry to bump an old thread (and as my first post), but the download links to this are no longer working and I was wondering if anyone could host this somewhere?

This relight is just what I was looking for to be able to enable RT lighting without totally killing my frame rate.
        Here you go man!

FCZ Relight:
        https://www.box.com/s/xqab4vovzm7ni7nhxz2q

Comment

Originally posted by lucky88shp View Post
          Here you go man!
          Thanks lucky88shp for the quick response!

Comment

Is FC still around at all? He hasn't posted in a very long time. I would love to have his work on the mission packs!

Comment

Originally posted by gdiddy62 View Post
              Is FC still around at all? He hasn't posted in a very long time. I would love to have his work on the mission packs!
              I don't think he's posted since June 2012 . I'd really like to see what he could do with the mission packs.

After trying his rtlights+lightmaps, I'm convinced less-is-more when it comes to rtlights. Not only does it run much faster with world lighting & world shadows enabled, it is also much more visually striking. The normal mapping really works best with fewer lights, and the shadows are also more distinct.

I still think the lightmaps themselves can be improved beyond this effort, although it might require a more complex lightmap generation tool. For good performance and visuals, most of the world lighting effects should be pre-baked into the lightmaps. I think this is what made the original Unreal engine lighting much more pleasing than the quake engine: the unreal lightmap generation is very good. Seems like a good lightmap generator should incorporate as much radiosity, soft shadows, occlusion, and any other advanced techniques, regardless of computation cost (since they are generated offline).

Edit: after further investigation, it appears that the lightmaps, rtlights, and .lit files all need to work together. It would be great to have a level lighting tool that allowed you to edit all light attributes, mark each light as realtime or not, then generate the lightmaps, rtlights, and .lit files as a complete set.
              Last edited by David_OSU; 02-04-2013, 10:56 AM.

Comment

@david
                nahuel has actually made a lightning tool for darkplaces not long ago
                http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...arkplaces.html
                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

that light editor mod can't be used for non-realtime lights.
                  using only a few rtlights requires the removal of bsp lights before running the light.exe tool, so to do this properly is quite an awkward workflow.
                  Some Game Thing

Comment

Hello, dear friends.
                    Last year was very difficult for me, I made a lot of deeds and still have many things to do. (for example, I've got very serious career advancement, I've got married and I'll be father in late summer).
                    So I don't have a lot of time for any hobbies.

However, I've almost finished the first episode of the SoA and I'm currently making some adjustements in my glossy textures pack (I've made about 25% of DoE glossy textures for webangel's retexture).

I think I will upload relight for the first SoA episode in about a week.

Comment

Glad to hear from you FC and to know that you will continue your work!!

Congratulations on all of the positive life changes as well!!

Comment

nice to hear from you FCZ, good to have you back.

cant wait to see new work from you, your gloss-maps for ID1 and HIPNOTIC that you made before were totally amazing

cant wait to see any gloss-maps you'll make for ROGUE
                        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

FC, good to see you are still here. Your ID1 relight is amazing, it really makes the most of Darkplaces realtime lighting. Can't wait to try your SoA relight.

Comment

A question about FC's ID1 pack:

Since he included all the (singleplayer) maps, are those VISed as well? I am only asking cause right now I am using modified PAK files which include VISed maps.
                            It means I could go back to using the original PAKs when using this pack, right (cause I hate modifying game data in general)?

BTW I assume the answer is yes... ^^

*EDIT Feb 25, 2013*
                            I have just finished all the levels with the new lighting by FC, and I must say it's great. Only one suggestion: In the last level, Shub-Niggurath's Pit, it's really too dark, even with your reference settings for the lighting options. Maybe it's a good idea not to make it too bright so you don't spot the traps right away, but still your path could be lit a bit more. And most importantly, you should put some light onto Shub-Niggurath herself. She is almost completely in the dark, the poor thing! This way you cannot fully enjoy the endgame sequence, so maybe a slightly edited version of that map might be cool.
                            Last edited by NightFright; 02-25-2013, 01:28 PM.
                            Authentic Models Pack
                            OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
                            LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

Working...
                            X