Arachnophobia (New monster type) + some others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arachnophobia (New monster type) + some others

Thank you webangel for always reminding and pushing me to finish this little beast.

To keep the individual downloads low and preserve the overview, I decided to release all other things (unreleased development features of the “small mod compilation”) in this download as well, as my active time is very limited now and I will not have time for Quake.

===========================

1.) Optional new monster type: spider

This is one of my favorite projects I ever worked on.
    Psionics really beautiful model together with the fluent and realistic animations makes it a lot of fun to play against.

It was the first time, that I implemented a completely new monster with its own AI, animations, sounds and mean features
    You do not need special maps to use it, the spider is randomly used/spawned as a replacement for regular Quake monsters.
    You can freely adjust the random replacement value for every Quake monster individually, so it works with all maps.

To keep the balance of the game, I decided to do the following:
    - Spider has the same health as the replaced monster type
    - Spider uses a different skin for each replaced monster type

Some more details:

Model by Psionic.
    5 skins by Psionic. 3 skins and leg_gibs by webangel
    Quake implementation (AI, sounds and some effects) by Seven.

Monster properties:
    - 3 different melee attacks
    - 1 long jump attack
    - 1 ranged attack: Spits out webs that glues the player to the ground for a short (adjustable) time.
    - Has an adjustable chance to resist shotguns and nailguns attacks
    - Has an adjustable chance of hiding / sneeking inside the ground (= suprise attack)
    - Fully adjustable replacement monster for all Quake monsters (via cvar) individually.
    Depending on which monster it replaces, its health points and skin texture will change accordingly, to keep the balance of the game!

No new / special maps needed. Works on all maps.

Special credits to Psionic for his amazing model !!
    Thank you for your free contribution Psionic.
    It was big fun to implement it into Quake.

The new cvars to control the spider are explained in detail in the attached "autoexec.cfg sample".
    (Add them to your autoexec.cfg and feel free to change them)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RUMEjOjwiw&list=UUbX7uVIXqMzBza0YmLJuMdw& index=1&feature=plcp]Quake new monster - YouTube[/ame]

2.) Optional Lightning gun "killing" modification

Some time ago I played around with the lightning gun effect (we talked about it in the “small mod compilation” thread) before…
    This is the reworked/improved version of it with all your suggestions included.
    The youtube clip shows still the initial condition (without new modifications…)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgNr7bHX_e4&list=UUbX7uVIXqMzBza0YmLJuMdw& index=1]Quake lightning gun modification - YouTube[/ame]

It gives you 2 new optional lightning gun "behaviors" / features.
    If you enable feature 1: enemies, which are killed with the lightning gun will be baked to coal.
    The baked monsters are semi-solid:
    They don't interfere / block your way. You can walk right through them.
    And you still can shoot them with any weapon.
    They will automagically fall into pieces after an adjustable time (default = 5s), or by shooting them with any weapon if you want.
    Wizards will fall into pieces when the fall down and touch the floor (requested by gdiddy62).
    Pieces/coals are now darker (requested by several).

I created four different particle effect sizes (trying to match the individual monster sizes).
    And added a nice little sound effect that supports it.
    You can now also choose (requested by syluxman2803) an alternative feature “2”:
    Enemies, which are killed with the lightning gun will fade into thin air (= disappear) in an adjustable time (default = 2s),

The new cvars to control the spider are explained in detail in the attached "autoexec.cfg sample".
    (Add them to your autoexec.cfg and feel free to change them)

3.) Option to move the view_weapons to the right side

This gives you the possibility to switch between centered view_weapons (original Quake), and view_weapons on the right side (like Quake 2)
    You can adjust it via a cvar which is explained in detail in the attached "autoexec.cfg sample".
    For more details and screenshots please see this thread

The original id view_weapon_models have been moved to the right by Tomaz.
    I only repositioned the shotgun and supershotgun a little.
    Optional High Res textures made by Moon[Drunk] and Primevil.
    I only had to modify some of them to match the new model positions (because muzzle was removed).

Be aware that the view_weapon_set might differ from the replacement model set that you are using.
    You can edit any weapon model that you want in an editor and use it in this mod.

Installation of this addon pack:

It is included/integrated into the "small mod compilation" as an optional monster now.
    So you do not need any additional files.

DOWNLOAD

Kind regards,
    Seven
    Last edited by Seven; 08-19-2013, 09:44 AM. Reason: Updated link

Damn I hate spiders....this looks cool, definitely gonna check this out when I get back into town monday! If you ever need audio for these creations let me know!

Great work Seven!
    Composer / Sound Guy
    WEBSITE
    EpiQuake

Comment

Thanks for this gift my friend. You are truly a great creator and a great friend!

Comment

Hi Seven,
        I am very glad that you have finished this gem.
        Thank you!

I LOVE IT!!
        Last edited by webangel; 01-27-2013, 02:48 PM.

Comment

something new to toy with! thanks!
          My Avatars!
          Quake Leagues
          Quake 1.5!!!
          Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Fangs
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Killer! There was that single player quake mod with spiders as enemies., don't remember the name (of course is on quake addicted). This could be an awesome replacement.

Comment

Hey Seven
                Thank you!
                Where do you get all these neat ideas from?
                I like the spiders movement and sounds. Really scary. Almost real. The spider replacement for the shambler has the best skin imho. Its good that the spider replaces randomly. That keeps all the Quake monsters and simply adds a new one.
                The new LG ideas are cool too.

I have one problem though: I don’t see the graphic effects in the game compared to your youtube clips.
                Like the graphic effects when the spider comes out of the ground or the spit´s trail. Also the "coal" pieces for the new LG effect.
                Did you forget something in your release or is it just me doing something wrong?

Comment

Wow Seven that was a really nice piece of work! I immediately thought of the spider from Hexen 2, except this was much better quality.

Comment

It would be cool to have these implemented into the coop servers Especially on darker levels or where monsters fall from a platform or whatever when a button is pushed or when entering a door and monsters fall, have some of them replaced with spiders that would freak me out and be awesome.

Comment

Awesome work, I have yet to try this.. but I am def going to download it and play it in sp tomorrow hopefully. The youtube video gave me chills.

Comment

Hi,

Nice work adding a new monster The only problem for me is the textures.

After working on the texture a bit the monster starts giving my chills.

here's a screen.

Cheers,

Sean

Comment

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your feedback.
                          I´d like to note that the spider is not a "total replacement" for the Quake monsters.
                          It replaces the original Quake monsters randomly. You can set the random percentage via cvar for each monster type. That maybe was not clear in my initial description (I even don´t know if it is clear now, because of my bad english).

Example:
                          A map has 20 knights and 30 ogres.
                          And you set the spider_knight cvar to 20% and the spider_ogre cvar to 50%.
                          This will transform 4 knights into spiders and 15 ogres into spiders in that map.
                          The rest will remain knights and ogres (well, it is a 'random' qc-function, so lets say: approx.)
                          You can also set all cvars to 0% (or 100%) and you will never (always) see the spider in your game.

//=========================

Hello Henry,

If you do not see the particles for the new effects, the reason is, that the included "effectinfo.txt" is not loaded/used by the engine.
                          This happens when you have either:
                          - an "effectinfo.txt" file directly in your ID1 (or mod-) folder
                          - an "effectinfo.txt" file in another .pk3 pack which is loaded afterwards.
                          The same goes for all other replacement files. Only the "last" one in order will be used by the engine.
                          So, using a lot of .pk3´s with a lot of replacement content in your Quake can lead to conflicts/overridings.
                          Please be careful what you use and when.
                          A hint I want to give you:
                          If you lost the overview in your ID1 (or mod-) folder, and want to be sure that a specific replacement file is loaded,
                          you have to put it directly into your ID1 (or mod-) subfolders. Because DP loads the files, which are directly in the subfolders
                          AFTER all .pk3 or .pak packs (there are rare exceptions as always, but we don´t want to talk about them now).

Hello DeadTenor,

The shape of the new monster was absolutely accidental/random.
                          As mentioned, the model itself was done by Psionic and was released with the "free to use" license.
                          So even if he would have released a monkey model (which would fit to my avatar but less to Quake, ),
                          the new monster would have been a monkey.
                          I think only sock and myself would have liked it then, LOL.
                          So I am happy that it fits (at least a little) to Quake and its fantasy ambience, which I love so much in this game.

Hello ninjamonkeyz,

This is very possible/realistic.
                          The source code for the Darkplaces version of the monkey… ..aehm the spider is included in this release.
                          The source for vanilla quake will be released at inside3d soon.
                          A great coop-server is Cobalt´s Darkplaces server (which you might know already).
                          He already has several really really cool modifications on his server.
                          Cobalt is a great guy and coder with a lot of neat ideas.

I am more than happy, that this little beast got a warm welcome from you and that it hopefully brings some fun to some of you. It would be an honor if it would make its way into other mods as well.

Kind regards,
                          Seven

Comment

very cool
                            www.youtube.com/user/KillPixel

Comment

Ah yes this is a great monster and one I myself was going to attempt one some day.I used to be a fan of Johnny Quest as a boy and was creeped out by the mechanical spyder in one episode.I Love this one and find it very creepy.
                              Thank you Seven,You rock!
                              [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mxTTZo9kDU[/ame]
                              Last edited by bluntz; 01-30-2013, 11:09 PM.
                              WARNING
                              May be too intense for some viewers.
                              Stress Relief Device
                              ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                              ---------------------------
                              .--------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X