Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanstar View Post
    Hi,

Nice work adding a new monster The only problem for me is the textures.

After working on the texture a bit the monster starts giving my chills.

here's a screen.

Cheers,

Sean
    Nice texture!

Comment

Any chance of a "1 version" edit?
      Grant us the option to select which enemy to replace and which version of the spider.

I love my Grunts and Ogres. I hate the Tarbaby and would love to have this enemy replace JUST them 50% of the time

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
        Hello Henry,

If you do not see the particles for the new effects, the reason is, that the included "effectinfo.txt" is not loaded/used by the engine.
        This happens when you have either:
        - an "effectinfo.txt" file directly in your ID1 (or mod-) folder
        - an "effectinfo.txt" file in another .pk3 pack which is loaded afterwards.
        Argh there indeed was an effectinfo.txt in my id1 folder. I cant rememeber where it came from.
        After deleting it, everything works as it should.
        Thanks man!

@ ooppee
        I dont use the spider for some monsters myself like enforcer grunt and demon. There are cvars to select each one.

Comment

Just registered to say that the spider is really creepy and I love it.
          The sounds are shrill and the movement and attacks are fast and mean.

I always enjoy playing against new monsters in custom Quake maps. But they only appear in the maps they are made for.
          The best thing about the spider is that it seems to appear in every map! How did you do this ?

Can't wait to see more monsters like these!
          Maybe a new flying monster cause there is only one. That would be awesome.

Comment

Webs?

This is a neat addition to the quake mods.

Are you also going to add webs in the environment. I thought it may be neat. because spiders use webs as well all know, or maybe used as an attack that only slows the player for a short time.

Comment

Hello Seven, the animation on the spider looks fantastic, I'm used to random monster replacements for zdoom ports, implementing it in this fashion was a really good idea.

1. Starting point: I am using Quake Epsilon compilation, which contains
              id1\zsmall_mod_compilation_v3_80_xolveedited.pk3
              it also has the 00 Readme Compilation Ver.3.80 IMPORTANT !!!!.txt included.

Can you tell me if I understand correctly?

2. In order to upgrade to SMC 4.5, I delete
              Quake Epsilon\id1\zsmall_mod_compilation_v3_80_xolveedit ed.pk3

3. From
              00 Quake-Small-Mod-Compilation-V4.15--Seven-20121105.rar
              Copy just the .pk3 so that
              Quake Epsilon\id1\Quake_V4.15_small-mod-compilation_Seven.pk3

4.From
              00 Quake-Small-Mod-Compilation-V4.25_update_Seven-20130317.rar
              Copy so that
              id1\Quake_V4.25_small-mod-compilation_update_Seven.pk3
              id1\effectinfo.txt

5. Update Quake Epsilon's id1\autoexec.cfg using
              autoexec id1 sample v4.25 !!!! .cfg
              as a guide.

Did I get that right?

Thanks for taking the time to read this! :-)
              Last edited by marco.nadal.75; 08-18-2013, 02:02 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Hello marco.nadal.75,

First of all, thank you for reminding me, that the link in this thread´s 1st post needs an update.
                The Spider started as an more or less independent addon for the "small mod compilation".
                But is now integrated and a permanent/fixed part of it.
                So, you should not use Ver.4.25 (by the way, this version still had bugs).
                You should always use the latest version of the "small mod compilation", as it is continuously improved/extended.
                Please download/use version Ver.4.31: Link

Regarding your questions:
                The Epsilon project uses an old version of the "small mod compilation": Ver.3.80
                So, it doesn’t matter if you want to use the spider or not, you should always update to newest version!
                The "small mod compilation" is and will always be backwards compatible.
                All new features can be disabled, if you want to (for whatever reason) stick to features of an older build.
                But all the bugs have been fixed in newer versions. That is reason enough to update.

You said, that you are a friend of additional monster types. Then you will most probably find the Afrit interesting too, which was introduced in Ver.4.31.

Updating the Epsilon compilation:
                I do not know the file structure of the Epsilon compilation, so I will explain how to update any compilation.
                If you see some points, that is not matching your subfolder/file structure you can skip them:
                1.) Delete any of these files (which are directly) in your ID1 folder:
                - progs.dat
                - effectinfo.txt
                - autoexec.cfg
                2.) Delete this subfolder in your ID1 folder:
                - particles
                3.) Delete any .pk3 file which has "small mod compilation" or "smc" or "progs.dat" in its naming
                4.) Download the "small mod compilation"´s Ver.4.15 and the 4.31 update
                5.) Paste the 2 .pk3 files from within Ver.4.15 and Ver.4.31 into your ID1 folder.
                6.) Paste the "autoexec.cfg" sample from Ver.4.31 into your ID1 folder.
                7.) You do not need the new 4.31 effectinfo.txt in your ID1 folder, as it is already placed in the Ver.4.31 .pk3, but you can. I suggest not to do it, because it will always override everything (also the upcoming versions).

That is it.
                Next time you start Darkplaces, your will use version SMC ver.4.31 with the default (!!) settings.
                If you want to change some settings to your personal likings, edit the autoexec.cfg as usual.
                All old and new features are explained there.

If you want to use the multimodel/multiskin feature, be sure to have the additional models/skins in place and then edit the corresponding autoexec.cfg settings for each monster.
                The Starter Kit in the Ver.4.15 download brings a pretty compilation with it.
                And it also shows you exactly which autoexec.cfg settings you have to use for the Starter Kit.
                Watch out for conflicting files in your Epsilon folder though. I do not know if or which skins/models it has.

Best of luck and always be sure to visit the "small mod compilation" thread for new updates from time to time...
                Seven

Comment

Is the standalone version still available? I'd like to see what it looks like (and how it plays) without the overhead of everything else in SMC.
                  Intelligence is knowing that there is an 'i' in "community".
                  Wisdom is knowing that there is no 'i' in "community".

Comment

Working...
                  X