Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellknight + Knight Replacements

Hello,

Around 2 months ago, we were talking and discussing the Knight and Hellknight replacement model topic here.

During that time I played with the "Knight and Hellknight" monster models from the Quake 2 mod:
    Dawn of Darkness
    If someone is interested, you can download the files from here.

All I did was:
    - Converting both monster models from Dawn of Darkness into .mdl format.
    - Reworking/Rearranging/Transforming (or however you call it in english) all animations to match the Quake 1 Knight and Hellknight animations.
    - Create head gibs and add all skins to the monsters (Knight has 4; Hellknight 2)

My task was to have replacement models, which do NOT need a QC-modification and work in ALL engines (with replacement model support).
    Due to these restrictions, you will find a little bit "sliding" of the models on the ground sometimes. That is a result from the animation does not always match the QC-movement values.
    It is really not a big deal/problem, but as many of you know me as a person who wants everything "perfect" it bothers me a bit...

The models bring a fresh set of animations into the game, because of the new moves of the monsters. I like it a lot and hope you will enjoy it too. It is a welcome variation to the familiar monsters.
    Please try it to see them.

Maybe some find it useful somehow.
    (The Dawn of Darkness Team gave the permission to use their models for other mods/modders, which is a great thing and I want to thank them really much).

As always, here are some screenshots, so that you know what to expect without the necessity to download and try it.
    If you find the screenshots interesting and want to see/try them, the Download link is below.

Knight

Hellknight

DOWNLOAD

Have fun,
    Seven
    Last edited by Seven; 07-14-2014, 01:01 PM. Reason: reuploaded

As always you come up with so many fun and great options for our Quake game Seven!

Thank you!!

Comment

These will look godly in mods like Soul Of Evil/Indian Summer and other Tronyn dark fantasy episodes!

Comment

Tested both monsters and have to agree.
        The different look and animations almost feels like fighting new monsters.

Deathknights shield attack looks fantastic and is a good idea.
        Knights axe is a suitable weapon and fits to your own axe.
        Both have cool death animation too.
        Perfect choice for the multimodel feature.

What should be improved are the textures.
        They are OK but someone should make them higher res.
        A keeper for me.

Comment

Naah, people dont like it because it has no gloss, glow, normal and other of these kind of things.

Comment

If someone were to do a higher-res texture, you actually have a little bit more geometry there to back up some tasty skins. Looks great.

Comment

can we get the download link fixed!? sweet job seven

Comment

Hello JDSTONER,

I am not sure why you could not download the file.
                Maybe too many people downloaded it and rapidshare has a daily limit or so...
                It seems to work again now (at least for me).

Thank you for your interest.
                Seven

Comment

i kinda like that hellknight model, it looks pretty cool. however i noticed one thing about it

the walk-speed of the model seems to be twice as fast, which when having monster walksounds enables makes for that the step-sound is only heard once every 2 steps he makes, which is kinda odd..

could you perhaps make a version of the model which has the walk-cycle matching the original hellknights walk-cycle, so its walking speed will be the same as the original hellknight?
                  Last edited by talisa; 03-31-2013, 10:39 AM.
                  are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                  > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                  everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Argh, they're awesome! I found these guys out just now. Guess I should read the news page abit more often...
                    Originally posted by talisa View Post
                    i kinda like that hellknight model, it looks pretty cool. however i noticed one thing about it

the walk-speed of the model seems to be twice as fast, which when having monster walksounds enables makes for that the step-sound is only heard once every 2 steps he makes, which is kinda odd..

could you perhaps make a version of the model which has the walk-cycle matching the original hellknights walk-cycle, so its walking speed will be the same as the original hellknight?
                    He also slides across the floor when doing his attack animations, both magic and melee
                    Last edited by Ghostbreed; 05-17-2013, 09:15 AM.
                    Souvenirs d'un autre monde

Comment

These are pretty slick models, I like the Hellknight especially. They almost look Morrowind inspired if anyone here has ever played Elder Scrolls. One thing I would add: gore. Bloodstains. Lots of them. I'm going to download and try them out when I get the chance.
                      'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Are these in any of the SMC versions ?

Comment

yes the knight with shield is also in he SMC, and seven dubbed him the 'warlord'.
                          he's an additional optional random replacement monster, just like the spider and the afrit

he can do the same as the hellknight,
                          but additionally can also block with his shield,
                          charge and push you back with his shield,
                          and sometimes he might throw a small explosive
                          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Warlord

The warlord in the smc is a tough mo fo. I unloaded a ton of spikes and shotgun blasts and he still kicked it for a bit. I love a challenging character that can take a beating and put up a fight like that.
                            Make no mistakes here... I'm not a mere madman... I'm a realist!

Comment

Hello Cobalt,

Thank you for your interest.
                              I am not sure what the reason for your question is, so please let me go back a little.

There are the following simple replacement monsters, which have the exact same properties like the originals in vanilla Quake. You could name their model file to the same filename of the original monster models and put them into your Quake. Next time you start Quake, you will see the "new" monster in your game. But it behaves exactly like the original one. It only 'looks' different, due to new model and animations.
                              Main purpose of this approach was to keep the gameplay, but add some visual variations.

Walking monsters:
                              - Dog
                              - Hellknight
                              - Knight
                              - Zombie

Swimming monster:
                              - Hydra

Flying monsters:
                              - Dragon (replacing wizard.mdl)

You can find all the "simple replacement" monsters above in this forum.

Then there was the idea to give them some new abilities/properties to blow some fresh air into good old Quake. And I started to extend the models with respect to their animations and abilities.
                              Of course a custom progs.dat was necessary for this and I thought why not use the existing "small mod compilation" and misuse it for this purpose...
                              During this process the extended versions have been "born". Please read their .qc files in the included source. I always added a detailed description about their "special abilities" at the beginning of it.
                              These extended monsters are included in the SMC:

Walking monsters:
                              - dog_extended.mdl
                              - spider.mdl
                              - warlord.mdl
                              - zombie_new.mdl

Swimming monster:
                              - hydra.mdl

Flying monsters:
                              - afrit.mdl

Best wishes.

Comment