Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• software-quake style pixely particles

hey all,

i know some of you are fans of the old software style quake, like killpixel and amon26

just recently i once played through original software quake in dosbox just cuz i wanted to feel what it was like to play quake in its original state, and it was fun. of course, same game, just less fancy looking as my DP setup ofcourse.

then later i went into my retro DP setup and i noticed DP instead has these round spherical particles like GLquake has instead of those pixely particles like software quake had, which i kinda had become font of.

then i remembered something amon26 had asked before here on forums, about if it was possible to have pixely particles in DP, and i remembered it most definiately is cuz DP allows usage of particle-font textures through which you can replace all the particles in DP with custom textures just like seven uses for his SMC mod....

so i played around with it a bit, and.....

shazaam! software style pixel-particles in darkplaces
    for those of you who'd like to have the software-quake style particles rather then the GLquake round particles

DOWNLOAD IT!

to use it, just drop the pk3 into ID1 folder and done.
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

lol @ "Shazaam"

Now you have super powers?
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

@gypsy

of course i do
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

I'm certain a few engines have this built-in, definitely DirectQ has this.

Comment

Ya i added the retro-style a while back to Qrack using r_particle_type...
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

yeah but afaik darkplaces doesnt have an option to have square pixely particles.
            thats why i thought i released it for people like me who like to use darkplaces but wanna have pixely particles

Comment

ya i mean it's a cool thing!
              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

That's NOT how DarkPlaces is "meant to be played"... oh wait!
                Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

I have found Makaqu to be an excellent choice for those who want to play with software rendering. Even the underwater caustics work like in the original game. There are some subtle improvements available if you want, e.g. texture dithering or better HUD weapons. Definitely worth checking out! ^^

But it's always great to see Darkplaces getting a bit closer to the good "old" vanilla Quake, too, of course.
                  Authentic Models Pack
                  OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
                  LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

Working...
                  X