Cthulhu Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cthulhu Head

I am exactly 1 hour into this. The current tentacles are bullshit. I just threw those on there to get an idea of how things were going to look.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-26-2014, 11:13 PM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Hmmm... I've been staring at my image for a minute. I think I'm going to make a singular tentacle blob, something that just looks like a bunch of tentacles. Then I can add in a few stray tentacles around it to give the illusion that they are all separate.

I'll be back in one hour with an update

Comment

I deleted the "head up" post. I didn't need anywhere near an extra 30 minutes, apparently I needed only 4 minutes extra.

Here is my Cthulhu (Bob) head base mesh

go full size on this image and look in his eyes. he doesn't even have a texture yet and it already looks like he is staring at you, unpleased.

exactly 2 hours and 4 minutes to get this far and I started with just a cube. This is partially due to my awesome head base mesh technique, which will give you a perfect base mesh in like 2 minutes. Maybe I'll teach y'all one day.

There is a bunch more to do.

1) apply the mirror and start making tentacles twist differently than their mirror
      2) plenty of optimization needs to happen. Im at 214 quads on a mirror so, I'm really at 856 triangles. That's crazy high and the head isn't even complete
      3) I need to add at least a little more detail to the back half of the head. All the geometry is focused on the face
      4) plenty of tweaking

That stuff isn't in order but it all needs to be done

----

@Dutch - I could probably wrap this up in just 2 or 3 more hours but I have work the next 4 days. I'll try and pound out a bit each night when I get home.

PS@Dutch - you are gonna have a fabulous time unwrapping this thing...mwaahaaahaahaaa. Maybe I'll go as far as to UV map it for you. Lets see how fast I can complete it.
      Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-26-2014, 11:11 PM.

Comment

This is AWESOME. Love it so far. This has me pumped to start working on the rest of Bob. No worries on the completion date. Literally take as long as you want, there is so much to do before digging real deep into custom monsters. And don't worry about the UV map if you don't want to, I will need the practice. Keep it up buddy, looks great.
        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Gypsy you're the man. I'm re-modelling the Flak Cannon right now and your tips on the UV have been superb. I threw you a friend request so we can easily swap files when the time comes. Thanks bud.

Comment

looks very cool gypsy

first top pic reminded me a bit of zoidberg from futurama (in a good way)
            but your second revision looks just plain awesome <3
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

@talisa lol.

@MG A mix of a predator head with a octopus.
              Last edited by Sza; 02-27-2014, 08:49 PM.

Comment

The last image looks like "Davy Jones", anyway keep working on it because it looks really good.
                Play Quake isn´t Rocket Science is Rocket Shooting!!!

Comment

@image looks like Davey Jones ---- THANK YOU! that was probably the nicest thing you could possibly say.

@Talisa - The post I deleted said I would be back in 30 minutes with awesomeness, and here you tell me it is awesome. That's superb (awesome).

@Dutch - thank you and you are welcome. Invite accepted.

__________________________________________________ _____

Now, what more can I do with this detail wise?. Let's just skip the whole "make tentacles look real" answer. Although I wouldn't be opposed to a "Make the tentacles in a different pattern" answer, if it also came with instructions that I like. I am primarily asking a non-tentacle question though.

Comment

I less than doubled the edge loops and redirected some edge flow (mostly around the bridge of the nose). I spent some time on the tentacles but they are not complete. I tried to give the head an octopus-like shape from top view. I should probably go look at some octopuses and maybe I will.

Edit: Ya know what... Imma delete the entire bottom half of his face and start over. I have an idea. The tentacles look like shit in the middle. Really, his face is a clusterfuck. I understand the more popular depictions of Cthulhu have clusterfuck face but that doesn't mean my model has to.The only bad part is, my new idea is a lot more complicated.
                    Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-27-2014, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post

I less than doubled the edge loops and redirected some edge flow (mostly around the bridge of the nose). I spent some time on the tentacles but they are not complete. I tried to give the head an octopus-like shape from top view. I should probably go look at some octopuses and maybe I will.

Edit: Ya know what... Imma delete the entire bottom half of his face and start over. I have an idea. The tentacles look like shit in the middle. Really, his face is a clusterfuck. I understand the more popular depictions of Cthulhu have clusterfuck face but that doesn't mean my model has to.The only bad part is, my new idea is a lot more complicated.
                      This is superb. I honestly can't offer any suggestions, you have a serious grasp on what you're trying to do here. Love the updates, keep 'em coming man.

Comment

Love the updates, keep 'em coming man.
                        I'm actually a little surprised you said this. Yesterday when I was posting my update I was thinking "This is stupid, it doesn't look like I did anything, cause this dude is just a clusterfuck of tentacles and it doesn't leave room for any real facial detail."

That's what led me to rethink the model. When I realized I could add a zillion polys and it will just be more rounded versions of the same thing, I decided it was time to take a detour.

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                          I'm actually a little surprised you said this. Yesterday when I was posting my update I was thinking "This is stupid, it doesn't look like I did anything, cause this dude is just a clusterfuck of tentacles and it doesn't leave room for any real facial detail."

That's what led me to rethink the model. When I realized I could add a zillion polys and it will just be more rounded versions of the same thing, I decided it was time to take a detour.
                          I think you've nailed the tentacles given the poly-count restrictions for maintaining a somewhat old-school model that should operate on a vanilla setup. Looking at the face, can you lower the vertices above the inside corners of the eye pockets and adjust the surrounding vertices to give more of a pissed-off frown? I bet that would do the trick.

Comment

can you lower the vertices above the inside corners of the eye pockets and adjust the surrounding vertices to give more of a pissed-off frown?
                            No, but I can make the other one look like a sad piece of garbage.

Comment

nice fu manchu going on there bob ;D

but overall, this is looking really good, can't wait to see it finished
                              twitch
                              wew lad

Comment

Working...
                              X