Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to know how to change entities in a map.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to know how to change entities in a map.

I've done this before, but I can't remember exactly how I did this. I want to change entities in a map, but in a way that the client does not have to download a new map.

Examples of this being done are as follows:

1. The original 3wave ctf mod was server side only, and added keys as flags and more weapons around the bases. Clients didn't need to download anything, simply connect to a ctf server, and the original id1 maps have now become ctf maps.

2. At some point someone decided it would be a good idea to have a rocket launcher on DM1, so it was added in clanring mod. If you goto DM1 from vanilla quake, you'll find no RL. But if you connect to a CRMOD server and warp it to DM1, you'll find it.

Anyway, I know this involves creating a END file (which can be done from Adquedit). And I know it involves editing the ENT file. I'm just not sure if there's something else that needs to be done, like import the ENT file back into the BSP file (also can be done using Adquedit).

Will this change the BSP file so that the server and client side don't match? I'm not sure.

crmod allows you to create it's own .ent files.
    You'll have to check it's manual i cant remember all the specifics.

the way u can do it server side like ctf is using qbsp like this

Code:
    qbsp -onlyents %1.ent
    %1 is the map name or *.ent

grab 3wave 3.0 to see the syntax for standard .ent files.
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

i use quark to hack a map you can open the bsp and add things just like when you map and then just save you dont even need to recompile

Comment

A quite easy tool I found for changing entities in a Quake map is QENTITY. It's command line-based, but it works quite well.

You basically need two commands:

QENTITY level.bsp -e
        Dumps entity info to hard drive as level.ent

QENTITY level.bsp -i
        Replaces entity lump in level.bsp with level.ent

You can edit the .ent file with a text editor, you just have to know what to change. I used it to fix problems with maps not being loaded in FitzQuake Mk V because of upper-/lowercase issues. The tool did the job well. Some ports also allow external .ent files to be used, so in some cases you don't even have to edit the map itself if you don't want that.
        Authentic Models Pack
        OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
        LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

Working...
        X