No announcement yet.

Arcane Dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the QuakeSpasm and QuakeSpasm-Spike engines included in the release gave me tons of error messages about missing models/sounds? The map works fine anyway and even if I have not finished it yet I'm loving it
    Make Quake Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by Blood Vengeance View Post
      Why the QuakeSpasm and QuakeSpasm-Spike engines included in the release gave me tons of error messages about missing models/sounds?
      Maybe there's something wrong with your AD install?
      ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
      ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

• Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
        Maybe there's something wrong with your AD install?
        It's a clean install, even tried to reinstall it, the problem still exist. Followed instructions at 100%
        Make Quake Great Again

Comment

• Well, as long as it works...

Comment

• Sock, I have a small request if you're interested.

Would it be possible to add key pick-up icons to the HUD in some way. Perhaps like the Quoth HUD or even on the +showscores info screen?

Normally, in Quake not having a notifier of which keys one's picked up isn't an issue but some of these AD maps are huuuuge!

Yesterday, I was playing through Sepulcher looking for the Crypt Key. Turns out I had already picked it up but had forgotten after being sidetracked looking for secrets...

This could be particularly problematic if one picked up a key, saved the game and then came back to the saved game a few days later.

Not sure if you're totally burned out on AD yet, but, if not, I think this'd be a nice little bit of polish.

Thanks for making Quake truly compelling again.
            I got the phone call at 4 a.m.

Comment

• That's an interesting idea but I doubt its feasibility: besides the vanilla SK/GK, in AD you can make pretty much any model you like into a key, so what would the icons be? Sure, Sock could create icons for all the custom keys already present in AD but what if a mapper decides to use his own custom key instead?

Comment

• Adding new key icons to the HUD would only work on Darkplaces/FTE with the use of CSQC. But it would be possible to over-ride the centerprint function with a multi-line centerprint (like FrikBot's waypoint editor) that could display the player's inventory when an impulse is sent. Say it's impulse 200, for example. Bind shift to impulse 200, and when you press shift, a centerprint pops up that displays all the keys in the inventory.
                'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

• @inventory That's a nifty idea! Sock, if you're reading this, you should consider adding something like that to the final release.

Comment

• How does Quoth do it? Is that incompatible with any maps?

@Dutch: That would certainly be better than nothing.

Comment

• Actually, I just remembered that sock released an updated engine with this latest map, meaning that there's nothing stopping him at all from incorporating new HUD features. It would be fairly simple.

@how does quoth do it

A bit of info first: the quake engine draws HUD pics from a file called gfx.wad in the mod directory if present, or back in PAK0 in id1 if not. Any of the images can be altered in the gfx.wad, so long as they maintain the original image names, because this is what the engine searches for.

The hipnotic and rogue mission packs used new gfx wads that had more pictures for the added items, meaning that the engine now had to check for these. Some engines allow more than one mod in the command-line, and quoth recommended that players launch the game with '-game hipnotic -game quoth' to enable the hipnotic HUD pics being drawn, which quoth modified to show quoth items (plasma gun, for instance).

However, quoth is so well known, that some engines like MarkV check for hipnotic, rogue, and quoth as gametypes, and look for the appropriate gfx pics. This is also a workaround to the fact that a lot of engines, MarkV included, don't support more than one mod in the command-line (or at least I couldn't get it to work).

This is one area where quoth is not compatible with all engines. Use an engine that doesn't support multiple mods AND has no gametype check for "quoth" and it will use the old quake gfx, and new items won't show up on the HUD.

Comment

• Just finished the new map. Once again, outstanding work to all involved! I made it to the end on nightmare before I finally died in the boss fight. Was pretty tough but not too bad. Missed 8 secrets.

Also, what were the messages "Enter the Dragon" and the one about the Lich Fiend? Anyone know? I saw the Lich Fiend model in the progs folder, pretty scary looking dude. I was expecting him to jump out somewhere in the map, as well as one of the dragons from qtest but never saw either...

Comment

• Thanks, Dutch, for the explanation. It always nice to learn more about my favourite FPS (even if I am a luddite!).

I just noticed that Sock has posted a cheeky wee screenshot showing off an inventory screen with keys shown.

So good to see AD still being worked on. Every time there's a release, I fear it'll be the last and that Sock has moved on to something else...

I really hope that AD becomes a standard in Quakes future in the same way that Quoth has.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hipnotic Rogue View Post
                            I just noticed that Sock has posted a cheeky wee screenshot showing off an inventory screen with keys shown.

Here is the screenshot in question, showing a simple text menu of Arcane Keys being carried by the player. I was maintaining a list of arcane keys in the QC, so its little effort to report this to the screen/console. I also bound it to a new key "i" in the config.rc file and if the key binding is free then it will be added to the config.cfg.

If anyone wants to know the latest AD stuff, just check my twitter account or email me. Its at the bottom of all my website pages.

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
                            @inventory That's a nifty idea! Sock, if you're reading this, you should consider adding something like that to the final release.
                            I read this thread every now and then, but not very often. I never feel welcome at this place and prefer to drift through once in a blue moon.

Comment

• Originally posted by sock View Post
                              I never feel welcome at this place and prefer to drift through once in a blue moon.
                              [
                              Oh no! How can this be possible? Your mod is the best thing to happen to Quake in a long time! I remember when RMQ was getting all the love, and look what happened to that!
                              I've even gotten Qrack running protocol 666 and your mod flawlessly... you are certainly always welcome here imho!

www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

• ^
                                I kinda know the feeling. There are times when some post responders are a bit too 'cool for school'. There's not a huge amount of cheer leading on here. I'm sure a project as huge as AD gets tiresome and some 'peppy' posts wouldn't go amiss. Perhaps it's because everyone here is a mapper or coder so don't tend to get to bowled over by other peoples work...dunno.

Comment

Working...
                                X