Realistic (somewhat) weapon mechanics in Quake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realistic (somewhat) weapon mechanics in Quake

Tell me what y'all think? I've successfully implemented a SMG (a fictional UMP45 variant) in Quake, inspired more by ARMA than CoD.

https://youtu.be/lezL6i3nIPw

Art and QuakeC code done by me (far from complete)!

have you seen real weapons mod someone made for Darkplaces??

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQPFrY0myj4[/ame]
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
      have you seen real weapons mod someone made for Darkplaces??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQPFrY0myj4
      Thats cool, Where can I find it? Where do you guys find all these obscure mods? Quake Terminus only lists a handful.

This mod does appear to be more CS like (and definitely less ARMA style), with it (what appears to be) hip shooting.

I was very particular in my weapon placement. I started with the player stand model as a reference, so the gun size and muzzle position are all realistic and part of the world (and completely ridding the need of a crosshair). Also, fighting the recoil in different burst modes is a lot of fun for me at least. I thoroughly enjoy lining up the sight for enemies further away.

Also also, I want to make this mod (plus source, models, and blender3d blends) available for people to download and try. What is the best way to get it out there?

Comment

google drive and a link in your signature... every signature on every forum which you are a member
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Hello bloodsnipe,

I watched your video. Thanks.
          Because you asked for feedback I would like to give you some:

As far as I understand you (sorry for my bad english), your mod aims to be a "more realisitic" weapon mod. Judging by watching your clip, it is not yet convincing to me. I´d highly suggest to introduce some more randomness vectors.

Your triple shot version is already not looking very convincing. As it is always the exact same line and distance/angle upwards. Very static.

Your automatic shot is even more away from giving a realistic impression.
          When holding down the fire button, does your gun really go straight up into the sky ? In the exact same incremental steps ?

I suggest to have your gun go crazy: shooting a little left, a little right, a little up, a little down (depending on view angle). And that all randomized.

That is how a real weapon behaves as far as I can tell. You fully lose the control in automatic mode and partly can control it in triple mode. But I am just a German Kraut bastard, so I do not know much about weapons.

I caught up your vision and tinkered with some own ideas and squeezed them into some code lines. See if you like it:
          [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdNLhbS0a-k[/ame]

=================================

Regarding your other questions:

The clip, shown by Mindf!3ldzX uses Ace12GA´s weapon mod.
          He released it here: click me around 4 years ago. Download it from here.
          It has some really nice looking weapon models.

Regarding where to find other Quake mods:
          There are hundreds and hundreds of still available Quake mods. Quake is one of the most modded games ever. Because it is so unbelievable easy to mod for Quake. Thanks to the modern available engines, you can have almost everything you need/want in Quake with very easy effort.

Here are the most important links for Quake mods:

Now you have a neverending pool of Quake mods

Have fun with your Quake,
          Seven

Comment

that actually looks pretty neat, and i would like it in my quake

will you be updating the SMC to implent this more realistic recoil into the SMC seven?

with maybe a configurable amount of offset between shots,
            so that players can choose how much they want the recoil to affect aiming
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
              Hello bloodsnipe,

I watched your video. Thanks.
              Because you asked for feedback I would like to give you some:

As far as I understand you (sorry for my bad english), your mod aims to be a "more realisitic" weapon mod. Judging by watching your clip, it is not yet convincing to me. I´d highly suggest to introduce some more randomness vectors.

Your triple shot version is already not looking very convincing. As it is always the exact same line and distance/angle upwards. Very static.

Your automatic shot is even more away from giving a realistic impression.
              When holding down the fire button, does your gun really go straight up into the sky ? In the exact same incremental steps ?

I suggest to have your gun go crazy: shooting a little left, a little right, a little up, a little down (depending on view angle). And that all randomized.

That is how a real weapon behaves as far as I can tell. You fully lose the control in automatic mode and partly can control it in triple mode. But I am just a German Kraut bastard, so I do not know much about weapons.

I caught up your vision and tinkered with some own ideas and squeezed them into some code lines. See if you like it:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdNLhbS0a-k

=================================

Regarding your other questions:

The clip, shown by Mindf!3ldzX uses Ace12GA´s weapon mod.
              He released it here: click me around 4 years ago. Download it from here.
              It has some really nice looking weapon models.

Regarding where to find other Quake mods:
              There are hundreds and hundreds of still available Quake mods. Quake is one of the most modded games ever. Because it is so unbelievable easy to mod for Quake. Thanks to the modern available engines, you can have almost everything you need/want in Quake with very easy effort.

Here are the most important links for Quake mods:

Now you have a neverending pool of Quake mods

Have fun with your Quake,
              Seven
              Legit thanks for the great feedback seven, you are spot on!

I do add randomness to recoil, but it clearly isn't enough. I haven't tweaked the values for actual weapons, more of a fun factor with added gameplay mechanics for a unp45 "inspired" gun I dubbed umpx (clearly didn't give it s lot of thought!)

My current values are as follows
              self.recoil_x = -random() * 0.5 - 1.5;
              self.recoil_y = random() * 0.8 - 0.4;
              self.recoil_z = 0;

Realistic in so far as there is "recoil and burst mode mechanics" but that is it (the gun is fictional too). In the vid where the recoil looks stagnant, I am actually fighting it with the mouse (which is a lot of fun in my opinion!) . This is fundamentally different from games like CounterStrike, where you merely try to memorize the various recoil patterns. In my case the gun aims where the bullets go, so you try to visually point the gun using the "iron sights".

The model is extremely simplistic (for instance, I didn't even add a recoil scale factor based on how long the gun is being fired), Ideally, physical properties of the weapons could be used such as weapon CoG, muzzle velocity, etc to calculate torque to even remotely come close to reality. But I don't have the patience for that!

My hopes were to add a little something extra to quake to see how it would feel. And possibly share the code, and models for anyone interested (generally try to give back to this awesome community for keeping my favorite game relevant after all these years!)

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                google drive and a link in your signature... every signature on every forum which you are a member
                Thanks for that MG! I have google drive, just haven't messed around with making files public yet. Once I do, wveryone is welcome to have at it!

Comment

How to use google drive in 3 seconds:

1) click New / File Upload
                  2) select the completely uploaded file
                  3) click the chain-link icon. The shareable URL will automatically be copied to your clipboard.
                  *) press cntrl+v everywhere you would like to post it.
                  Last edited by MadGypsy; 04-27-2016, 11:26 PM.
                  http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

The download link is in the Youtube vid description
                    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by talisa View Post
                      that actually looks pretty neat, and i would like it in my quake

will you be updating the SMC to implent this more realistic recoil into the SMC seven?
                      Can you handle it ?
                      You need strong arms to keep your guns under control: DOWNLOAD

Toggle it via: impulse 41
                      Only fast-firing weapons are affected: ng, sng, lg

It has the necromancer monster included, but who cares.

Originally posted by bloodsnipe View Post
                      Legit thanks for the great feedback seven, you are spot on!
                      You are on a good way. Your mod will surely turn out great.
                      Best of luck.

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                      The download link is in the Youtube vid description
                      Did you even click on it before posting ? I guess not...

Comment

neato! just tried it and its awesome!

it really adds something to the game imo, the slight recoil.

imo it makes the weapons feel more powerfull and bad-ass,
                        that you have to struggle a bit to try and keep your aim steady
                        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Check out the README file and try the mod for yourself! (QC included)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...XNRUG9YTEc0dk0

Comment

Working...
                          X