Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corpses, gone with the wind...

Hello,

I had this little idea and wanted to see if it also works in Quake: Corpses decomposition

This is a work-in-progress clip:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJHGbdNNOEA[/ame]

Most intersting thing is what each monster is leaving behind !

Kind regards,
    Seven

i like the idea of the fire it would look good with the demon... do you think you could do a electric particle effect like this for the enforcer. something with blue sparks. this will be a cool effect to use with all the other after death animations. if you can code it so it will work with the twitching corps effect. you do so much work on everything even after its dead. you put the fun back in funeral!

Comment

Interesting concept, but I personally prefer corpses to stay. I like seeing the results of my carnage when I revisit an area. :3 But this does look really well made (as usual). Has that Doom 3 / Quake 4 vibe. Though, not sure why the humans and dogs would disappear, I figured that'd be more of a demon / monster thing.
      Soundtracks and Instrumentals
      MyMusic | Youtube

Comment

Nice idea Seven. Might I humbly suggest a very subtle momentary burning sound might add to the effect ?

Keep up the good work

Monty
        Mr.Burns
        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
        WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
        Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

I like the idea! I know you would make it adjustable via cvar so all can adjust to their taste!

Comment

Hello,

First of all, Thank you very much for your feedback.

It is just a proof-of-concept though (if this is the correct english phrase).
            My main passion in Quake is to develop new things/features and tinker around until I managed it to bring them into the game. Sometimes it can take quite long, hehe. If you look at the small mod compilation you can see many examples.

I had the idea (in the middle of a sleepless night as usual) about this decomposing monsters and was wondering about a possible situation in-game. Of course this can be used for any other situation in the game. Another examples could be the opposite direction, that a boss monster could be build up in front of you out of dust and assembles to a huge body...
            Or another possibility would be, if you kill a monster with the lightning gun, it "falls apart" aka decompose while standing because of the huge energy of the weapon...

I managed to do it in a little bit similar way as the universal painskins in the SMC with the help of shaders, so it can only be used in DP & FTE. In other engines you would need a different model for every decomposing state...

The particles were not meant to be representing fire. They are just placeholders but should represent decomposing material which slowly vanish into thin air. hard to explain what is in my mad brain, but you maybe get the idea. The particles always follow the angle of the monster correctly (doesnt matter how it lies on the floor).
            And yes, sure there could also be different effects for different monster types.

The most interesting thing is, that you still can see what monster type was lying there. Every monster type leaves a different unique "thing" behind:
            - Soldier his weapon
            - Dog its teeths
            - Enforcer his futuristical backpack
            - Hellknight his big sword
            - Shambler his claws
            - Ogre its chainsaw

That was a nice little gimmick I had during development, which I liked a lot.
            There are so many crazy ideas but so little time in life...

Anyhow, Thanks again for your feedback.
            It is highly appreciated.

Cheers,
            Seven

Comment

Yes, the lightning gun was my first thought. I like the idea of a monster developing in front of our eyes from particles!

Comment

If you can find a way to leave bones or guts or something brutal behind ala Oxygen Destroyer, I will download this in a heartbeat.

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

This is really cool! Nice job Seven!

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMaster View Post
                    If you can find a way to leave bones or guts or something brutal behind ala Oxygen Destroyer, I will download this in a heartbeat.
                    I second this. Naturally.
                    Soundtracks and Instrumentals
                    MyMusic | Youtube

Comment

Working...
                    X