Experimental Lens Flares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental Lens Flares

Do you like lens flare look in fps games ??
    this little experiment is for you

Well, not real lens flares , just a csqc "simulation"
    This is just an experiment using evil hackins and csqc

Not a real mod, just a csqc simulation, and only will work with the two torchs of the entrance of start map!!

(i have some problems with csqc and entities. so i will ad each lens flare origin to the csqc code)
    This will look better with rt_world lights activated !
    Maybe we can incorporate this evil-hacks lens flare in the future (or maybe you wanna add each lens flare origin by hand )

enjoy!!
    https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?c...3UqGbLXjv5OTJk
    Use darkplaces engine (fte not tested, but i believe will work under it)
    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Hello Nahuel,

As always, very nice idea.
    I played around with it a while. The flares are still visible when the origin is no longer visible and the lenses are very much in terms of count/quantity.
    But other than that great implementation.

My question:
    What do you need to make this feature autodetecting torches ?
    The torch origin is available through the map ent list. The vector towards the player as well.
    Are there some more info you need to know for your code ?

Please keep up the good work my friend !
    Best wishes !

Comment

Hello seven ! Basically I need to share data from ssqc to csqc :

1-
      the vector of light source (s ridiculous to want to use every source of light as lens- flare would be useful only in torch and flames)
      2-
      visible detection: if the light is not visible, shouldnt cast any lens flare. (using a copy of visible(); function with DP_QC_TRACE_MOVETYPE_HITMODEL)

3- distance (light origin and player origin) (to adjust transparency)

I think this features can be calculated with only csqc. But not for my skills!
      Anyway I need to send this data to csqc (and I do not know how to do it without using stats)

all of the above can be written in csqc light to light directly (that is tedious and useless for quake mods)

The csqc I used above is totally experimental, I was using as a base csqc something totally unrelated to quake.

i will upload the source once it will be useful!

PD: Basically a lensflare in this mod works like various fake coronas with another position on the screen. I think the coronas in darkplaces work in a similar way to the simulated lens flare here. If I had capacity to program, i should implement this simple algorithm to the engine, and each light could be assigned "lensflare" and "lensflare_intensity" "lensflare_size" as it does with coronas.
      Last edited by nahuel; 09-21-2016, 02:16 PM.
      the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

believe it or not, my engine does lens flares. I've never illustrated it because I'm not utilizing rtl's yet. However, that is the key of how my lens flares work... RTLs. Maybe that info helps you. I can show you my code BUT it's in AS3 or Haxe (depending on my port).
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Working...
        X