No announcement yet.

Doombringer - A game using Darkplaces.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doombringer - A game using Darkplaces.

Doombringer is a game being made using Darkplaces.

Currently the game is focused on creating a solid base in Duel MP. Once we feel that we got that down well enough, we're going to move on to working on a single player component of the game. Initially, by making monsters and a few simple test maps, as we try to build this piecemeal like. So we don't try to do everything at once.

If you are interested in finding out more about the development process and history of the game. You can visit this thread on Doomworld:
    https://www.doomworld.com/vb/everyth...guished-gamer/

But for more recent information I'd like to direct you towards the youtube videos I've published.

Duel game play commentary on Toxicity
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICm7zZ-sJdw

A closer look at some of the current state of the game
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o-9OdrRCqA

If you find this interesting. Don't hesitate to join us on Discord where you can take part in playtesting and offer criticism.
    https://discord.gg/0kvtFwf2JCnfGuBo

You can also check us out on Reddit.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Doombringer/

Pictures:
    Toxicity:

Aerowalk:

Gorger - WIP:

Runner - WIP:

Soldier - WIP:
    Last edited by kristus; 11-03-2016, 02:20 PM.

I don't play MP so I'm gonna wait to have some SP content to further look into it. Not sure about the cartoony textures. Monsters 1 & 2 look good if a bit derivative of Doom's pinky and Quake's fiend, respectively, but #3 is just weird with its mixture of samurai armor, modern tech (gas mask) and... horns?
    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

awesome work!!
      the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

I like this game a lot, especially how it plays and flows (from the videos). This may sound stupid but the man holding the gun just looks awesome and it feels so natural - the movement and fluidity... The only criticism I have that maybe you'll accept is that it needs more detail in the levels to match the gameplay.. I'm still impressed by that arm holding out the gun in game haha I also *love* the sounds and the bubbly sfx hehe
        The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

Hello kristus,

What I do not quite understand is the innovation behind your game.
          As there are already lots of similar ones (even in finshed status) available.
          I fear that it will be "just another mp shooter".
          Xonotic and Nexuiz are of course only a few examples. And they even use the same engine...

But I will of course come back to you when you have a SP game ready for download !
          Which involves of course much much more work than multiplayer.

Anyway, I wish you best of luck with your project !

Best wishes,
          Seven

Comment

Thanks for the comments all of you.

As for the maps. The style for the maps are still being developed. The two maps I have explored the most has been Toxicity and Aerowalk (which are the two maps in the screenshots). But I am not content with the style yet. I am currently using the MP maps to try different designs and see where it takes me. For when I get to making SP maps, where I would want to have a more consistent style across maps.

Also, still making resources for the maps of course.

@Seven: Well, MP is only the first step. Since that is where I can get the essentials down. And build a solid game without having to spread my focus too thin. As for Xonotic and Nexuiz. Yeah they exist and I did actually have a build about two years ago on the Xonotic base. But because of the source being such a messy thing to work with there (from my experience anyway, I couldn't even get it to compile for me). I ended up backtracking to the basic QC source. I still use the Xonotic source to try and learn stuff from it. But it's quite complicated for me. But I am not really a programmer either. I am trying to learn enough to get by. But the more advanced stuff in DB was done by Andrew Apted who made programs like Oblige, and the 3DGE Doom source port. But unfortunately he left the team a few months ago. Anyway, I am rambling.

If you were concerned about me making a game that noone will play. Then you're not alone, a lot of people voice that concern. I don't really mind though. I am making my game because I want to make it. It's the game I want to play. If someone wants to play with me, all the better. But I have no illusions about it becoming the next big thing or anything. Like you said. Plenty of other projects has come and gone before. Hopefully my diligence and focus will make the project stand out in time (where projects like Xonotic are more a everything and the kitchen sink kind of deal, with resources from all over the place). But the single player aspect is my end goal, and the true claim for relevance this project may have. Even if I think personally that it is a quality game that should be able to stand on it's own among the competition, all things being equal.
            Last edited by kristus; 11-02-2016, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
              What I do not quite understand is the innovation behind your game.
              As there are already lots of similar ones (even in finshed status) available.
              I fear that it will be "just another mp shooter".
              Xonotic and Nexuiz are of course only a few examples. And they even use the same engine...
              The video and screenshots look incredibly exceptional.

If you made a single player one with that stuff, you could sell it on Steam

Multiplayer is the rough, rough road. Mostly rotting corpses for projects that take that path, but some of them do succeed.

Besides --- the important thing is liking doing it, and it does look fantastic.
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

It all seems pretty solid but, it looks far too clean. You've managed to create the most "sanitary" kill zone, ever. LOL!
                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                  the important thing is liking doing it
                  yeah, finally!!! someone can understand it!!!
                  the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                    The video and screenshots look incredibly exceptional.

If you made a single player one with that stuff, you could sell it on Steam

Multiplayer is the rough, rough road. Mostly rotting corpses for projects that take that path, but some of them do succeed.

Besides --- the important thing is liking doing it, and it does look fantastic.
                    Yeah people asked if I were going to sell it or what the plan was. But I am just looking to make the game. So I decided that it will be free. I have a day job. Don't want my hobby to become another one.

It's a pipe dream of course, that something I made would garner a lively community. But it's not realistic. But having a robust MP game to go with the single player game, is certainly going to help things along.

Anyway, glad you like it.

@MadGypsy: Yeah I have went for a more clean stylized look, because it is a faster way to get maps done. But also because I used to work on a Doom3 mod where there were tons of grit and details to mind when building, and I just got so sick of doing that. I wanted to make something more colorful.

If you're interested, you can check out some of my older work here:
                    Kristian Kjäll - Portfolio | Modeling, Level design and Texturing.

Comment

In my honest opinion it plays, looks and sounds great (very unique). I do think it is on a good solid path (just work on the graphics more, although for mp play it could be simplistic like that like in the videos but sp needs wayy more details-textures maybe). I didn't know it was going to be a full game (with sp + mp included wow!). Ehh... you gonna give it to us for free when it's done right? Well as you can see I really am excited/happy about it, thats why I'm talking/typing in here hehe :p
                      The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

Fancy seeing you here, Kristus. Been following this game on Doomworld. Again, if you need music, I'm more than willing to help It looks really good so far!
                        Soundtracks and Instrumentals
                        MyMusic | Youtube

Comment

I looked at your portfolio. You are super talented. Really good work. You should get someone to fix your portfolio though. Most of the time it's a mostly empty page with a string of images on the right. You should go for more of an image wall to fill the void.

this layout is no good

consider one more like this
                          Last edited by MadGypsy; 11-03-2016, 12:26 PM.
                          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMEVAL View Post
                            Fancy seeing you here, Kristus. Been following this game on Doomworld. Again, if you need music, I'm more than willing to help It looks really good so far!
                            Well, gotta spread the word.
                            I'm interested in hearing what you can do. Wanna hit me up with a track to show your stuff?
                            EDIT: I checked out your Reverbnation link. Some really cool stuff there. We should definitely talk.

@MadGypsy: Thanks, nice to hear you like it. Yeah it is made using a prefab image blog thing. I made it in 2012 to try and get some attention from 2GD as he was starting work on his game Diabotical. And since then it mostly lingered. I'm going to get a page up for Doombringer soon though. I mostly link it these days whenever someone is curious about seeing some of my older work. But I haven't updated it in forever.
                            Last edited by kristus; 11-03-2016, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kristus View Post
                              Well, gotta spread the word.
                              I'm interested in hearing what you can do. Wanna hit me up with a track to show your stuff?
                              EDIT: I checked out your Reverbnation link. Some really cool stuff there. We should definitely talk.
                              Sent ya a message.
                              Soundtracks and Instrumentals
                              MyMusic | Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X