Making a Hi-poly Grenade Launcher... cuz I'm bored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Hi-poly Grenade Launcher... cuz I'm bored

I figured I'd post this here, just to show off a bit of what's going on in DM's land today. The Grenade Launcher is my all-time favorite weapon from Q1; granted, it's not the best gameplay wise when stacked up against the Rocket Launcher, but to me it has a really cool looking design and gets the job done (rather messily).

I don't really like the model, though, and I have yet to see a really good replacement (except the one in Quake 1.5, but it isn't exactly "faithful" to the original). What I wanted to do here was make a design that could work centered, be faithful to the original and look cool. I don't know if I'll continue with this, but if so I'll be sure to give frequent updates.

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Originally posted by DeathMaster View Post
    I have yet to see a really good replacement
    I love Ruohi's myself, but I'll be looking forward to trying your model when you're done. One thing though: where's the handle?
    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMaster View Post
      granted, it's not the best gameplay wise when stacked up against the Rocket Launcher
      Sounds like you aren't a very good grenade spammer.

DM6 waiting for the red armor to respawn, it is common courtesy to toss a grenade to each of the 3 ways to enter that area.

And certain maps, if you bounce a grenade off the wall and angle it just right, you can get a grenade to take 3 bounces to unimaginable places with pinpoint accuracy.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I'm tuned in. The grenade launcher is also my favorite. I wish it had just a little more velocity though...I usually bump the grenade speed up to 900 vs. the original 600 whenever I mod my quake setup.

Keep an eye out on those uneven tris/verts at the muzzle end...a lot of people start off round-ish shapes with a sphere, but I find the edgeflow to be much more manageable to start with a cube and bevel edges to get the roundness.

Keep it going, man!
        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

hey look, I'm thinking about tying my shoes and this is what my shoelaces look like......

That's like 1 minute of effort, bro.

About the only thing on this site with less effort is when I smacked the ranger skin on a cylinder. Even then, you got me beat cause, I put in mad effort making it hilarious.
          Last edited by MadGypsy; 11-30-2016, 12:54 PM.
          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
            That's like 1 minute of effort, bro.
            This actually took me a hell of a lot longer because of my absolute garbage Blender skills. That, and I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I just thought I'd show it to you folks and see if you people liked it.

Comment

Looks like Overlapping AND/OR Bad normals!

Comment

Originally posted by PyroGXPilot View Post
                Looks like Overlapping AND/OR Bad normals!
                Oh, you know it! Bi-products of my terrible Blender skills. I've recalculated all faces, so that's not a problem anymore. As for overlapping... that's something I'll be working on tonight.

Comment

It's a good practice model for you to improve your Blender skills. Not everyone can be awesome right out the gate!

Comment

Working...
                  X