Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KillPixel Games

https://youtu.be/qQk3pSNKV-M

Back in April, the team at KillPixel Games doubled in size with the addition of a programmer. Since then, the project has gone from being handful of mockups and documents to becoming an actual, functioning prototype. These are the first fruits. The next test compilation will be gameplay oriented, whereas this is more general in nature.

Although early in production, any feedback is welcome! I would also like to take this opportunity to ask a few specific questions:
    Are you interested in retro-styled FPS games?

If so, what is something you want to see in this type of game?

What is something you do not want to see?
    Probably unnecessary disclaimer: some of the temp sounds contained in this demonstration are property of Id Software.

P.S. this isn't an official announcement, but is a sneak-peak for the quake community. Please keep that in mind if you choose to share this material. Thanks!
    www.youtube.com/user/KillPixel

Nice work!! Very inspiring. To answer your questions:

1) Yes, retro-style games are the only ones worth playing anymore
    2) More of what was in that video.
    3) Straying too far from the theme. Quake got lucky and pulled it off, but I think a Thunderbolt or stargates would look out of place in your game. Right now, everything fits together perfect, keep that up.
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Wow, I'm blown away! This looks awesome!

1. Yes I am, but I'm definitively interested in this, retro or not.
      2. I really want to see more of what you have in store. I was kind of disappointed that the video ended right there!
      3. Personally I would say please stay away form the proceduraly-generated gameplay that a lot of games are doing now and actually build a story campaign. It's starting to get a bit old for me.

Are you planning on going in a monster movie direction with this? Zombies, Vampies, Werewolves? Or cults? I'm very curious!

One thing that caught my eye immediately is I hope that you're planning on keeping the stop motion style animation you have now on the reloading because that is an excellent style choice. It looks like old school cartoon FMV.

Let me know if you need anyone to test the game, bounce story ideas off of or to show off gameplay on another Youtube channel. Looks great guys, keep it up!

Comment

This does look really impressive. I love the look, sound and animation of the shotgun. The atmosphere is also incredible. I do like to see and play this type of game, if the atmosphere and gameplay are right. I like 3D models more than sprites, one of the reasons I really never go back to Doom, but I understand the difficulty in making them. Definitely don't go proceduraly generated. Loved the trailer.

Comment

Dutch - Thank you!

ArrrCee - Thanks for the feedback and I appreciate the offer!

Are you planning on going in a monster movie direction with this? Zombies, Vampies, Werewolves? Or cults? I'm very curious!
          It will be horror fantasy, but more unique and different than vampires, werewolves, etc.

Redfield - Awesome, thanks!

I like 3D models more than sprites, one of the reasons I really never go back to Doom, but I understand the difficulty in making them
          Sprites are actually harder to generate as they begin life as a 3D model. I've almost decided to just go 3D models instead a couple of times because of the difficulty in making sprites. Who knows, maybe the final game will have the option to either enable sprites or 3D models

Comment

Very impressive. After you found a coder, looks like your attention to art and visuals ended up getting the chance to express itself.

Congrats!
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I appreciate it, Baker.

Comment

This looks awesome! Love the art style and atmosphere. Only thing I really have a complaint about is the music. It's just a guitar riff and not much else, and seems out of place to me considering the environment. Keep this up, though! Beautiful work!
                Soundtracks and Instrumentals
                MyMusic | Youtube

Comment

The music was so super low and unassuming I didn't even realize there was any til you hilighted it. I agree though. It actually sounds like someone is practicing guitar, to me. This is all in the very early stages though. I have all the faith you can have that KillPixel will release something excellent.
                  http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Being a soundtrack musician, I can offer my assistance with this if need be.
                    Soundtracks and Instrumentals
                    MyMusic | Youtube

Comment

PRIMEVAL & MadGypsy - Thanks for the kind words. And yeah, I hear ya about the music. Like everything else in the video, it's a placeholder and was assembled quickly (honestly couldn't have spent more than 10-15 minutes on the music). Not sure if there is going to be music or what kind it will be, time will tell!

Comment

Very nice indeed KP, I can't wait to see it progress and please keep the updates coming.

Concerning your request for feedback.....
                        In terms of "what would I like to see" it is an updated version of Quake with the familar dark, evil, brooding atmosphere, plenty of shock, chill (to the extent of making the player feel uneasy) , gore, varied gameplay (not *just* run and gun although that is fun ) and the playability, physics and player engagement of something like half life 2 Ep2. Oh how I love that Grav gun.
                        What I wouldn't like to see is the childish taunts, "shop" features, overly linear maps, and oversimplifation of some areas of gameplay that you see in some games . Come to think of it perhaps this video can explain it a little better than I... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

Keep up the good work sir.

Kind regards

Monty
                        Last edited by Mr.Burns; 11-07-2017, 01:00 AM.
                        Mr.Burns
                        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                        WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                        Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Hahahaha that video Mr. Burns linked to is hilarious and so true!
                          'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Mr.Burns - Thanks for the feedback! That video is a classic, too.

Comment

KillPixel,

You sir, are amazing !!
                              I knew you would come up with something good, but this ... ?!
                              Outstanding job, sir.
                              Please keep us informed about your project as close as possible

All the Best,
                              Seven

Comment

Working...
                              X