Soulmarine's Quake2 HD Shotgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soulmarine's Quake2 HD Shotgun

Here is a little project I have been working on for last two days ...
    Fully Textured, Rigged and Animated.

Tools used:
    • Cinema4D
    • Photoshop+Quixel
    Sketchfab Animation LIVE 3D Preview:
    https://sketchfab.com/models/51570c5...b0fe33879be9ed

Attached Files
    Last edited by Soulmarine; 08-03-2017, 08:09 AM. Reason: update

Very good! Will it be released for some source port?
    Make Quake Great Again

Comment

This shotgun looks very nice indeed! I wish i could model like that but i think i stick to mapping and scripting, where i can at least do some nice thing :-) .
      I once was a Ranger like you. But then i took a rocket to the knee.
      My little gore mod : http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...76473-gore-mod

Comment

@Blood Vengeance Im not sure yet.. I would first like to model the entire weapon Q2 set.
        Im looking for the best way to export Cinema4d Animation to MD3

My current workflow was :

-Cinema4d Animation to OBJ Sequence (frames)
        -Obj frames to MD3 Frames (via Noesis)
        -MD3 Frames Merge to MD3 Anim with MD3 Tool
        (this Workflow is working just fine for my Star Wars mod)

But in some cases .... OBJ Frames to MD3 Frames (via Noesis) does not work very good
        (MD3 output frames sometimes dont match poly and vertex count and I cannot merge them into MD3 Anim.)

I'm now exploring possibility of

-Cinema4d Animation to FBX Animation
        -FBX Animation To MD3 Animation (via 3d Studio Max)
        (I will test this today)

If anyone have some tips how to export my Animation from Cinema4D or FBX to MD3/MD2 feel free to post a reply.
        Note* I don't use Blender , and I don't plan to use it, And I have no intention to use tools like Milkshape to convert/compile models, because MS cannot read my models.

Comment

Why would you vehemently exclude a program as powerful and robust as blender from your toolset, especially considering you are having problems that blender could very well be the answer to?

Seems self-defeating to me. If you can use all the other stuff you mentioned I don't see where blender would be any great challenge to you. It's like you are craftsman that absolutely refuses to use a screw gun because you are determined to succeed with a screwdriver... no matter how hard, time and energy consuming it may be.
          Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-03-2017, 11:07 AM.
          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Because I know how to use Cinema4D and don't know how to use Blender (and don't have time to learn it *)
            Note* Not all people like or use Blender and prefer other modeling tools like C4D, Maya etc...

Progress update:

I've managed to export Cinema4D animation to MD3 using Cinema4D--> FBX--> 3DStudio--> MD3 workflow
            The whole process was very simple (just export-import-export)

MD3 loaded in Q3 Model Tool:
            MD3.png
            Animated gif:
            http://i.imgur.com/Lc3q3s1.gif
            Last edited by Soulmarine; 08-03-2017, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Quick test in Gzdoom engine to see how the weapon would look like.
              I need to fix the framerate, and X/Y/Z offsets (pitch roll, etc) and sync my anim to vanilla animation and then port it to Quake2
              shot1.jpgshot2.jpg
              Last edited by Soulmarine; 08-03-2017, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Looks good! I love how it still fits in with the game. Very unique art style.

But regarding Blender...your workflow would look like this:

1) model in blender
                2) export to MD3
                3) play game with new model

You gotta decide whether or not you're spending more time with all the extra steps than it would take to learn blender, especially if you plan to make all 10 weapons.

Either way, whatever gets the job done. You clearly have a good handle on your process, keep it up
                'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                  Looks good! I love how it still fits in with the game. Very unique art style.

But regarding Blender...your workflow would look like this:

1) model in blender
                  2) export to MD3
                  3) play game with new model
                  If you want it to work with most Quake2 clients, it's gonna have to be converted to MD2 (not MD3). I've done some modeling for Q2, but I'm not that great at it. I got some advice from a guy named Panjoo, one of the best Q2 mappers to ever do it. He mentioned to me that when he makes models, it's best to convert it from your modeling format (MilkShape, Blender, whatever) to either lwo or 3ds, then import that into Q2Modeler, then export that from Q2Modeler to md2 format. Personally, I've always gone straight from MilkShape to md2, but I've had some horrific results a few times with mysterious shifting vertice points that makes the model look bent and hammered out of shape.

For example, the blue background is the MS3d model viewed in MilkShape, and the pinkish background is the resulting MD2 model viewed from Npherno's Skin Tool (a UV mapping prog). THIS is why it's probably best to convert to md2 from within Q2modeler rather than any other program.

Look-a like-a shit!

I would certainly love to have a full set of hi-res g_ and v_ weapon md2 models for use with Q2. I've been making custom paks for Q2 for years, and the hi-res models I've been mainly using were "borrowed" somewhat less than legally from some random incomplete Wirehead Studios Generations Arena pak someone else obtained and passed around years ago. All I've ever been able to find were the g_ (pickup) models, no v_ (in-hand) models. Your SG model actually looks very very similar to the Generations Arena one.

These are all the Strogg (Q2) weapons. http://www.wireheadstudios.org/gallery/album35

Oddly, the hi-res machinegun g_ model I've always used is apparently NOT from this collection. I have no idea where it comes from. It almost appears to be a remake of a Q4 machinegun. (the red shit is where I modified the skin, should be all gray)

Comment

@Focalor thanks for the feedback.I will probably use my models only in source ports that supports md3 format.
                    Yes I used that generations arena Shotgun image as a reference for my model.
                    My model and texture was created from scratch.

I think that HD Machinegun from your Image was a part of the Quake2Max engine/Hd mod made by Team Blur Studios,
                    Mod is Discontinued unfortunately ,They are currently working on this game engine made from / based on Quake2 source http://www.moddb.com/games/overdose

I was planing to use that design as reference for my machinegun model.

@Dutch I think i will stick to my current worflow Cinema4D-->FBX-->3dStudiomax-->MD3/MD2
                    Extra steps are just export import export, that can be done under 30 seconds
                    Last edited by Soulmarine; 08-04-2017, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Got any idea where I can find a full copy of whatever contains those Quake2max models?

Comment

@ Focalor I'm sorry its not Quake2max its Quake 2 Evolved, my mistake...

Here is one of their builds (engine only without hd pack):
                        http://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-ii-e...ed411#imagebox

They had a lot of other builds and resources / assets on their website (it's closed)

I'm not sure I have somewhere on backup DVDs (Quake2 Evolved) several builds and hd packs, I will look it up.
                        In the meantime try to search for Quake2Evolved and Hd pack for Quake2Evolved

00.jpg

Comment

From a Youtube video, I found a link to a Lithium page with a HDmodel pak for download. I registered up and downloaded it, but it's the same thing I already have. These models in the video are the ones "borrowed" from the Generations Arena mod. At one point, Phoenix from Wirehead studios emailed me about it because I had some of the models posted on my Tastyspleen hosted webpage in different custom paks I made (like the one pictured above). Coincidentally, it appears as though he also commented on this video concerning the models.

For anyone asking about the weapons shown here, some of the weapons - specifically the shotgun and super-shotgun in this video - belong to the Generations Arena mod for Quake 3 Arena. These were converted for use in Quake 2 format and animated without our permission by a third party, and then distributed - also against our wishes. There are item models in use that are also from Generations Arena but are used with our permission. The reason for the difference in permissions is that the weapon models were not in a finished state at the time whereas the item models were.

None of this is the fault of Splingy TV, so please reserve any criticism of my post - I'm not attacking a player for playing what's already out there, but I do want to draw attention to three points:

1) The weapon models were NOT animated by Wirehead Studios, nor converted by us. Any issues with them - such as parts of the hyperblaster rotating that shouldn't - are a result of someone else not respecting our work and doing a poor job of animating and linking the model parts.

2) We want people to be aware of where the models came from, and that they are property of Wirehead Studios.

3) As Generations is a work in progress, the models will be made available after the mod's first public release that will include the animated weapon models. At that time we will either export an official weapons model pack ourselves or work with someone so that we can have control over the release quality.

That being said, be sure to check out our site at http://www.wireheadstudios.org for more information about Generations Arena.
                          Anyway, I'm thinking whatever HD model pak Quake2Evolved was using was probably this very same pak. I was hoping there might be another one with weapons that matched the machinegun I posted earlier. But perhaps that machinegun was a model from an earlier incarnation of the Generations Arena mod found at the time that the person converted them (because the one shown currently is very different).

Comment

Nope,I dont think so, Q2E don't use Generations Models, They have different models, I've found some of original Quake2Evolved Files on backup DVDs
                            I will probably upload them somewhere, later, because those files are not longer available online

Original Q2E Machinegun in md2 format
                            Quake2Model.png

I have Q2E 0.23/ 0.26/ 0.40 Full / Final (v3) and 0.42 source code
                            + R1CH's r1gl 1.5 OpenGL renderer for Quake2

Capture.PNG

I'm going to work now on my version of Machinegun model (from Scratch)

A bit off topic:
                            I was messing around With Berserk Yesterday.
                            Here is the early work in progress (low poly atm) mesh
                            bers.PNG

Can anyone import vanilla MD2 weapon models and convert them to FBX eh....or Blend?
                            I don't know / don't have plugin to import (animated)md2 to the software I use
                            So that I could try to trace/recreate/add vanilla animation (offsets and coordinates) to my weapons.
                            Thanks
                            Last edited by Soulmarine; 08-07-2017, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulmarine View Post
                              Nope, Q2E don't use Generations Models, They have different models, I've found some of original Quake2Evolved Files on backup DVDs
                              I will probably upload them somewhere, later, because those files are not longer available online
                              Oh please please do. I've been looking for the rest of the set of models that machinegun goes with for almost 10 years now.

Originally posted by Soulmarine View Post
                              Can anyone import vanilla MD2 weapon models and convert them to FBX eh....or Blend?
                              I don't know / don't have plugin to import (animated)md2 to the software I use
                              So that I could try to trace/recreate/add vanilla animation (offsets and coordinates) to my weapons.
                              Thanks
                              I have no clue how to work with animated models. I was considering trying to create some static weapon models and then animate them to make gun models for player models to carry around, but it was just too tedious and time consuming. I asked Q2 mapper Panjoo for some help and he wrote up a tutorial about weapon animation. This is probably totally not pertaining to what you're asking for AT ALL... but perhaps it can be useful, I dunno.

http://panjoo.tastyspleen.net/q2mode...tor/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              X