Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a mod that updates putrid water ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a mod that updates putrid water ?

i mean: in quake e5m7 (dimension of the past) there is some putrid water you cannot see through, and the texture is very low resolution...

is there a fix to make water transparent, or an updated texture ?

this water: https://youtu.be/icJRIgoPOHg?t=11

Depending on what source port you're using to play the game (QuakeSpasm in my case), you should be able to edit a config file and adjust values for water. For QuakeSpam, in QuakeSpasm\dopa\config.cfg the two properties you would be looking for are:
    • r_oldwater "0"
    • r_wateralpha ".5"
    Which should result in something like this: https://i.imgur.com/sB1m4gJ.png

In QuakeSpasms case, those config files are per map pack, so you would need to make that change in each packs config.cfg file if you wanted to water to always look the same. There might be a global way to apply it (Maybe just place a config.cfg file in the root of the QuakeSpasm folder?), but I haven't tried setting one before.
    Last edited by COLBudManstrong; 09-08-2020, 02:33 PM. Reason: Formatting

Comment

Originally posted by COLBudManstrong View Post
      • r_oldwater "0"
      • r_wateralpha ".5"
      thanks for taking the time to reply and even making a screenshot.
      i tried your settings on darkplaces 2014 build, and it worked !
      quake is becoming more and more beautiful from the last time i played it...

Comment

No problem, and glad to hear it works in Darkplaces. Just an FYI, I've noticed a visual bug in QuakeSpasm (that I'm not entirely sure is just related to the water changes), where you can sometimes see through walls/doors while underwater, or you can see areas you can't normally access that map makers use to hide enemies. Nothing major IMO, but just something to keep in mind when making visual changes to the water.

Comment

Hello nixos,

You maybe didnt notice, but Darkplaces even has a setting in its menu/options/customize effects,
          that does what you are looking for.

Yes, Quake is still great

Have fun,
          Seven

PS: If you are using Darkplaces, you maybe want to have a look at its "modernized" water effects: click me
          It will have an impact on your fps (performance) though.
          You need VIS´ed maps for it (download link can be found in the mentioned thread as well).
          Please read the readme how to activate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
            PS: If you are using Darkplaces, you maybe want to have a look at its "modernized" water effects: click me
            It will have an impact on your fps (performance) though.
            You need VIS´ed maps for it (download link can be found in the mentioned thread as well).
            Please read the readme how to activate it.
            thanks, i already grabbed those months ago ^^
            i also took your old code of aligned spike projectiles and your old code of new fire and used them with other tips found on the internet to compile and create my personalized progs.dat, so far with custom damage/hitpoints/values and other people mods i had a blast playing quake + dopa (monsters deal about same damage, but they go down much faster , i play on hard difficulty to maximize monsters spawn number and have the feeling of play like a doom/doom2 game)

Comment

Working...
            X