No announcement yet.

Shub Niggurath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it looks good. You could break up the monolithic shapes to make it look more natural, but it's not bad.

I have a Shambler, a Hell Knight and the previously released Ogre. The Ogre probably needs a rebake and retexture. The Hell Knight is pretty far along. The Shambler isn't near done. None of these models are what you would say were 'authentic' so I didn't bother finishing them.
    Hellknight06Render.JPG
    ShamblerV10.jpg

Comment

Very nice, TM! The new Knight model is looking very promising, especially with the menacing look.
      I'm no modelling expert but in case it helps, my only suggestion would be to consider extending the legs of the Shambler a little to improve the proportions. Other than that it's looking great.

Kind regards
      Monty
      Mr.Burns
      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
      WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
      Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Great knight model tea monster

Comment

OldOneAnimation.jpg

Comment

I've got some animations done. A basic set of Quake animations.
            https://youtu.be/WMpcIOcZatA

screenshot018.png
            Last edited by Tea Monster; 12-28-2020, 06:59 PM.

Comment

looks nice, smooth and natural. this will look so good in dp alongside a good high end texture pack! love it!

Comment

Are there any tricks to getting IQM models working in DP? Because the model is so large, it won't export as an MD3.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                  It's just a thought but the mighty Seven, with his compendious knowledge of all things Darkplaces, might be able to offer some advice here as I'm sure he has imported various new models in to darkplaces previously as part of his excellent SMC mod. I've sent him a PM and will let you know if he comes back to me.

Kind regards
                  Monty
                  Mr.Burns
                  "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                  WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                  Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Iqm should work

https://www.quakewiki.net/darkplaces...deling-for-dp/
                    Last edited by webangel; 12-30-2020, 03:05 AM.

Comment

I finally found out how to export an IQM that works, but it just dosen't display either a skin or animations in Dark Places. The traditional MDL works fine in quakespasm, but the skin is using what I'm thinking is vertex colours rather than the skin? Eh. I have a way of upscaling the MD3 after export. As I was explaining in the Authentic model thread, I haven't messed around with Quake for ages. I've got Pakscape and qME set up, so I can get certain things done.

Entirely off-topic, I know everyone loves quakespasm as their new Q of choice, but I've noticed a few glitches here and there. In the last level, a rotfish appears out of the water, which I don't remember having happen in Dark Places or the original game. There have been a few other instances of "Is that supposed to be like that?"

Here is the standard MDL in qs

spasm0002.png

Comment

I've got the classic MD working. There is a glitch in the animation I need to address, but it's working.

I'm having a problem with the high res one. I'm using MD3 like I did with the Ogre, but the size of Shub is so large that the MD3 exporter can't cope with it and errors out. I've tried exporting it from Blender at 50% and upscaling it in Quark or Maverick 3D and odd vertices loose their vertex animation. It's a pain. I can get IQM to export but the animations only play once in Dark Places and don't repeat. Supposedly there is a way of embedding a config file in the pak, I've got to look into that. There are some other exotic file formats that I've never heard of before and I don't know if I can get an exporter for. Will have to see.

Dropbox link for the MDL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qehzqnyyd...eAuth.zip?dl=0

Comment

Mr. Burns - Here is an FBX to play with. It's not the final version, but should be good fun to test with. https://www.dropbox.com/s/6wq8mezn6n..._Test.zip?dl=0 When I'm finished with the model, I'll release the source files on github.

I've had fun with this. MD3 would, of course be the easy option, which is why it won't work. The size of the model is such that it won't export correctly at full size. I've tried exporting at half size and scaling it up with a third party app and that dosen't work. I'll see if something else works later. Meanwhile, I've got a version of an IQM exporter working (the latest version of the exporter errors out with the same model - gotta love niche model formats!). I've got the idle animation working in Dark Places. I've not tested it, but the death animation propbably won't work. I'll issue that as a test file. There don't appear to be any lights in the level to show off the skin on the model. you can see the normal maps working if you fire a rocket off over the monster.

I'm probably going to work on the skin and might do a higher poly version before issuing a final version.

Test article: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebnz2u72rn...ticle.zip?dl=0

Comment

Noice!

Edit.: Question!

It would be possible to add new animation frames to this model, like attack frames, that could be used by modders, without breaking the compatibility with the original model?

I was thinking about something like Quake 1.5, with a real fight against shub in the last map!
                            Last edited by vegetous; 01-04-2021, 05:59 AM.
                            Fórum QuakeBrasil

Lots of Quake related stuff

Comment

If I could export an MD3, that would be no problem at all. I've got to figure out how to export more than one animation frame set and get Dark Places to recognise it in IQM format and then I don't mind doing that.

Is there any configuration file (apart from editing the existing game files) that would tell the engine to enlarge a model?

TLDR: Yes. What did you suggest?
                              Last edited by Tea Monster; 01-05-2021, 08:44 AM. Reason: I cut to the chase

Comment

Hello Mr. Burns,

Thank you for your pm.
                                Also, very nice to see you are still working on your Quake version in Unity Engine.
                                Hope you found some time over christmas to continue.

Hello Tea Monster,

Great work!
                                I have to say: As always. Because I know your work and talent.

Regarding your issue:
                                I could convert your IQM model, which you linked for Mr. Burns, to a regular .md3 model.
                                So, if you want, you can continue to add animations and stuff this way.
                                Both models (iqm and md3) have no visual difference in game.
                                Noesis did the trick. If you want I can upload it for you, but I am sure you can handle Noesis much better than me.
                                Be aware, that you do not need to have animation frame sets. All different animations can be in the same set (qc handles it automatically).
                                The original id1 .mdl models had animation sets. But that is mostly for looping things, which is/can be also done via qc.

Regarding your question:
                                Yes, you can add / edit animations via a configuration file in DarkPlaces.
                                That is why they call this engine "modder friendly" (its still the no1 engine for me)
                                The configuration file is called ".framegroups". You surely have heard of it some years ago,
                                when this forum was full of talented people, who created fantastic stuff.
                                Miss these times....
                                This configuration file is supported for all supported formats in DarkPlaces.

If you want, I can upload examples for you to look into.
                                Examples always help to understand things.
                                You can also find more about it on the internet (google) if you are interested.

Hello vegetous,

Yes, you can add as many animation frames as your engine supports.
                                Just make sure you add them to the end.
                                I can remember that I used additional animations in the SMC as well.
                                For the Zombie, Ogre, Knight and Hellknight. Maybe others too. I forgot.
                                Vanilla ID1 doesnt care if there are animations after the last one, which is used by the ID1 progs.dat.

Have a good start into 2021 everyone.

Best wishes,
                                Seven
                                Last edited by Seven; 01-05-2021, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X