X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• last touches to the petrified knight in DoE:
    Attached Files

Quake Reforged
    Retexturing and Reskinning project for Quake, Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity

Downloads:
    SoA skins
    DoE skins pre-release

Comment

• Looks great
      Probably were relieved that those were going to be a fair amount less time than the others lol (as you just had to "stone-ify" your previous Knight skins)

Comment

• Hmm, I'm not too keen on that knight statue. It simply looks like a gray-scale version of the skin you guys already did. If you look closely at the Knight statue in Rogue, it actually does have some color to it. It has some tans and browns, and even some very faded blue (almost gray, but not quite). Also, the Knight statue should not look at all shiny; this is stone we are talking about! The original has no shininess to it. I would also like to see some of the ribbed details on the chest, back, and pants on the Knight Statue. If you look at the original, there are almost bars that go horizontal on the chest & back, and vertical on the pants. You guys currently have horizontal bars on the pants; they just need to be vertical. I would also like to see the small "T" slit helmet that appears on the original, instead of the wide-open mask.

Basically, I would like to see a skin that lives up to the original Stone Knight. The original Stone Knight is by no means a gray-scale conversion of the Knight. It has quite a lot of detail in it.
        Last edited by Lightning_Hunter; 02-09-2011, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• To be honest the similarity between knights doesn't bother me that much (although I do admit its partly as DOE was itself mostly a retexture job IMO)

Of course, if you end up being pressured into doing alt-skins for the statues (and I aint, I swear), just remember that being crumbly stone statues, you don't really need to do as crisp detail as an organic monster: Just place the crumbly stone-texture on first, then draw the necessary rough details over that (maybe even the offset mapping?), so they just peek through).

It'd save a lot of time, and actually looks more like crude stone-carvings!
          Check out my awesome Deviant art page!
          Quake fanart (obviously included)!

http://harry-the-fox.deviantart.com/

Comment

• I reckon overall a few things to keep in mind with the DOE monsters, to save time:

The Phantom Sword, Dragon and Electric Eel are very wriggly, fast-moving, far-away from the player, and generally hard to see- you'd only want enough detail be noticed from a distant glance (important things like the scales would be enough).

The Hellspawn, lavaman and multi-grenade ogre are almost little more than re-colored versions of the existing texture, even down to the precise details (even down to the folds in the Ogre's outfit), if you wanted to stick to the original. -Of course, you could have a lot of fun making alt-textures.

Wraith/Overlord- bunch of rags with invisible, shadowed faces, skeletal arms that usually fly fairly high- you could have some fun with these possibly (covered in cobwebs perhaps?).

Which really leaves the Guardains (and I say have some fun with those- keep in mind that the blocky forms make depicting 'normal' humans impossible, but you could make em steroid freaks, bubonic mutants or sorta-dead guys to fit the shape more naturally- or a different ailment for each?

Comment

• I personally am hoping for a more "gutted" Eel. To me it's always been too "clean" for Quake. Like the enemy though (actually modded it into normal Quake to where it replaces the Rotfish 30% of the time).
              Phantom Sword - honestly I think giving it the Knights sword would be good enough. Simply due to the Phantom Swordsman actually just being a invisible Knight.

The Multi-Grenade Ogre needs much work. He's tattoo'd and has a completely different apron on. A simple reskin would work but not be ideal.

Do have to ask though - Nergal - any plans on doing the weapons? If so, are they going to be the original based or Ruohis based (some pics of yours show Ruohis' but no release made)

Comment

• It would be cool if he had a morph skin. Like stone as a statue but then more real when he comes to life (but where you can see the realness "wash" over him) and a stone gib when he is defeated

just my opinion
                Gypsy
                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• Not possible without modifying the progs.dat
                  The model is knight.mdl and has 2 skins:
                  skin0 - default knight
                  skin1 - statue knight
                  Sadly no "morphing skins" - that would require editing of the qc file to add in the extra frames needed to morph. Doing that would break compatibility with those who don't have the modified code.

Comment

• As another suggestion, I made this in a hurry:
                    Not expecting it to be an example per-se, but mainly it serves to demonstrate how a simple texturing method could be applied to the statues (using substantial color just to show it can be done- and to make a moldier, more nasty and age-worn version than the sparkly white statues in the original).
                    It mainly serves to show that a bland, rough, low-detail texture could actually be a good thing to help separate the statues from the organic enemies, and look less like a reskinned (or monochromed) knight and more like a very old statue OF a knight.

Also, what I reckon would be an awesome effect would be if the gibs and possibly the blood were mostly stone inside- makes it more freaky when you are shooting at a lifeless hunk of rock (with possibly a bloodstream), than a flesh-and-blood enemy with a stone hide (or wearing a stone suit).
                    Maybe if the enemy simply gibbed rocks upon falling to the ground? (kinda like Hexen 2's golems).

Comment

• @ooppee: there's two possible reasons for the petrification of the original skin:
                      1) to save time.
                      2) because the knights were transformed in living statues by the Overlord, after the idea came to him in a dream...
                      Make good use of the Occam's Razor

@King Hazza: we prefer to treat the rogue skins like new skins altogether - the statues are an exception, but I don't know how long this will last... if we don't release them soon, we're going to dislike them and restart from scratch again.
                      The statue skin is not monochrome, it's the same shader I used on the enforcer for the Blink mod. only the gloss map needed further tuning, but now I urge to add moss and change other things, damn you all

Ogre, wrath, etc. already have their skin, but I don't like them anymore. I'll show pics for all, just in case you like them as alternatives.

Weapons: fact is that I don't like all the new models, but a mix it's not feasible. if the majority of you use the Ruohis models, we'll go for them. actually I've done skins for both but not a complete set.
                      Another thing to consider is if someone else is going to make those skins: competiotion with small differences is pointless.

@MadGypsy: we can't control the animation without new code.

Quake Reforged
                      Retexturing and Reskinning project for Quake, Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity

Downloads:
                      SoA skins
                      DoE skins pre-release

Comment

• I actually prefer the knights looking very similar to the old - because of the reason you stated. They were knights petrified. The originals were too different in design for that to apply (they had to of been in different armor - which made zero sense as you never encounter unpetrified knights in that armor). Can't wait to see the Death Knight
                        Weapons are hard yes. Many are using Ruohis' (Rygels pack) but I do frequently see people using the originals and Plagues. However I'd say the vast majority are using Ruohis' design simply due to Rygels Pack being the dominant "HD Pack" at the present (check you PM's )

Comment

• I really like those renditions by King Hazza. If the reforged statue skins looked like those, I'd be a huge fan! Like I said before, the current screenshot of the statue Knight just looks far too black & white, with no varying detail from the original. The shininess also bugs me.

In my opinion, I'd prefer statue skins truer to the DOE versions than a simple re-color of the reforged knight skin - even if the description states they are petrified knights. The original DOE statue skins are among my favorites; it would be a shame if they were transformed into black & white versions of the knight.

Comment

• @Lightning_Hunter: aren't you a huge fan?
                            Yeah, it was too shiny, nevertheless the texture was really good in photoshop, definetely not a monochrome filter.
                            All the work is in the glossmap the defines the reflection of the material (yellow for gold, orange for copper, white for plastic, etc.).

@oopee: ahh, don't say that! now I have to do a great deathknight

ok for ruohis's models, but I've seen weapon skins around in the forum and we'll make them only if we can do better (and it seems there're good ones already).

Quake Reforged

Downloads:
                            SoA skins
                            DoE skins pre-release

Comment

• comparison between normal knight and statue

http://www.box.net/shared/9366bnumb1(bigger version)

Attached Files

Quake Reforged

Downloads:
                              SoA skins
                              DoE skins pre-release

Comment

• The statue version looks awesome.
                                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
                                X