Fun in Zbrush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun in Zbrush

So i'm diving blind and aimless into the world of 3d modeling, having doing extensive experiments with zbrush I've finally got this little guy set up and ready to be shown.

Im way too busy with a few other interesting projects, but If any modelers out there think they could seriously give this guy some skin and a few good moves, he's all yours. i can toss the .obj file up online for any interested people.

what do you think?

It's nice, but it's not functional. Zbrush uses "pixol" technology, and is more of digital sculpting tool then a 3D modeling tool, meaning that in terms of real time polygons, your model up there could weigh well over a few thousand polygons, if not millions (depending on your sub-devision levels).

Also, you cant animate that (well, you can, but it will be extremly difficult), because animating and rigging a model requires that the area where the triangle vertices are transformed the most (e.g. knee kaps, elbows), must be in a particular pattern in order to deform and animate nicely (read here: Limb Topology - Polycount Wiki).

Second, there is no viable art asset pipeline form zbrush to any of the common Quake client(s) model formats (e.g. md3, mdl, dpm), to my knowledge.

The way to use zbrush is to model a hi-res model either in some 3D app pacakge like Maya, 3Ds Max or Lightwave, import it into Zbrush to add natural/organic detail, export & import back into your 3d app of choice, save it as a hi-res 3d Model, then build your actual loow-poly game model based on your hi-res 3D model, uv map it, animate it, texture it and extract the normal map for it from your hi-res 3D model.

This might sound mighty confusing, but I'm sure you'll find your way around if you wanted to . Good luck.
    Last edited by zylyx; 09-05-2009, 05:32 AM.

Comment

i the meantime, build more robots!!!!

Comment

dang. I knew there was a catch.

well, thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'll try teaching myself maya/blender and see if anything good comes from it.

Comment

Working...
        X