Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taniwha
    replied
    About the ax shape: I'd say the straight edges were for poly count. I don't remember seeing any ax with a straight edge. While I may have, they certainly aren't common, and for a very good reason: that curve increases both the length of the cutting edge and the likelihood of it hitting the target squarely. Those of you that think an ax with straight edges looks modern need to visit your local hardware store .

Actually, I just remember the sort of ax that has a straight edge. However, they're not for swinging, they're for whacking with a sledgehammer: they have a flat butt for the job and the handle is to hold them steady. Not something a ranger would choose to swing around, and his ax is double sided anyway.

Leave a comment:

• capnbubs
    replied
    The re-texture of the grunt is finished!

I kept it as close as I could whilst adding detail where I thought it was needed and cleaning up any seams or stretching in the texture. Hope you all like it!

I have replaced the soldier in the pack now.

Authentic Models Pack

Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post
    I think Baker told all the quake weapons came from s-mart. lol!

nice job on the models what program are you using? im just started playing with blender and am watching tons of how to YouTube on it so far i SUCK!
    I'm using Blender and the QuakeForge addon to create the models. Just keep following tutorials and you'll get good at it in no time!
    Last edited by capnbubs; 03-19-2013, 09:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JDSTONE
    replied
    I think Baker told all the quake weapons came from s-mart. lol!

nice job on the models what program are you using? im just started playing with blender and am watching tons of how to YouTube on it so far i SUCK!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• R00k
    replied
    ya, i could make some calls, but legal dept would still stop any likeness.
    best that would be could be the unused concept art...

<-- i made this avatar by taking the original 8-bit pixelated skin; blowing it up %500 then blur filter then drawing over it.
    Then shrinking it back down .

the only legal avenue i could think is to use the same color scheme. One cannot copyright a color!
    Last edited by R00k; 03-19-2013, 06:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• capnbubs
    replied
    Would be great if somebody could find all the old concept art, or any authentic high res art around, any reference would be helpful.

Leave a comment:

• R00k
    replied
    man all this activity feels like 1995 again!!
    It's nice to see an active art direction focusing on the original.
    Same with 'In The Shadows'; just sparked a huge surge of nostalgia with respect to the original game!
    Seems quake 1 went wonky around the y2k time and all mods went q3 clone...

Its nice to see the grass growing from between the rocks...
    heres some original idsoft concept art used for that paper model

as u can see all the art was water color/pen then digitally converted. Reminds me of Borderlands imho ;l
    i have compared the armor art with the original digital skin, and the "dots" line up...

this is for the 2d artists out there wanting reference for making new GPL quake skins....

yes i have the quake marine paper model (1 unwrapped the second in PERFECTcondition for year 2016!)
    Last edited by R00k; 03-19-2013, 05:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• talisa
    replied
    looks good capnbubs
    yay for no more stretching of textures

stretching textures are bad, mkay

so its a good thing you're fixing that

Leave a comment:

• capnbubs
    replied
    Originally posted by frag.machine View Post
    It does make sense they ressemble the player
    Actually I believe the player is supposed to be a Ranger from a seperate special forces like unit, at least that's what I gathered from the quake wiki. Although their armour is similar to the player, I think the grunts are supposed to be a more run of the mill type of infantry.

Leave a comment:

• frag.machine
    replied
    Originally posted by capnbubs View Post
    I started experimenting with retexturing the grunt, here's a comparison shot of how it's coming along so far. I've mostly just redrawn the head. I want to keep the resolution fairly close to the originals but remove all the nastly stretching and visible seams.

Will be glad to hear what you think of it, I tried to keep it as authentic as possible. I would like to point out clearly that so far I have only changed the head and the lower chest part.

/me gives a

That's an interesting aspect we frequently forget: the soldiers are actually former mariners possessed by Quake (the same can be said about the enforcers). It does make sense they ressemble the player, yet the original model kinda failed on that IMHO. Remember that Quake borrows a lot of story concepts from Doom (where you find possessed soldiers in every base you visit).

About the axe: altough the player spawns with it I agree with the idea of the mariner taking it from a fallen foe.

Keep up with the good work!

Leave a comment:

• jakub1
    replied
    thanks splitterface for info. it's not a big problem. the new texture looks fine. i was just curious. i'll remove the dog textures from my hires skinpack.
    -
    new shambler would be fine... :-)
    -
    jakub

Leave a comment:

• capnbubs
    replied
    I started experimenting with retexturing the grunt, here's a comparison shot of how it's coming along so far. I've mostly just redrawn the head. I want to keep the resolution fairly close to the originals but remove all the nastly stretching and visible seams.

Will be glad to hear what you think of it, I tried to keep it as authentic as possible. I would like to point out clearly that so far I have only changed the head and the lower chest part.

Leave a comment:

• talisa
    replied
    @jakub1
    capnbubs remapped the dog to fix all the horrible stretching,
    which makes it incompatible with existing skins

I've UV unwrapped my new model and I'm going to have a go at repainting it to match the aesthetic of the original

The texture is a 256 by 256 image so it's nice and small, still loads of detail visible on the model.

Leave a comment:

• jakub1
    replied
    thanks for the the new hi-poly but still low-poly soldier and especialy for the the dog. original qdog is horrible even with fragger or reforged skins. this new one is a big improvement.
    -
    soldier works with hires skins such as reforged but the dog doesn't. is it just me or is the dog model incompatible with existing hires skins?
    -
    anyway.. i like this new models much more than the md3 model - e.g. all md3 shamblers look like plastic toys. these models do not and that's good. thanks.
    -
    jakub

Leave a comment:

• R00k
    replied
    I thought the axe might have been just an artists replacement for the thor hammer. Square top, metal handle. But looking at original skin, the handle is wood with blood on it.

The qtest skin didnt even have an axe...
    It's possible that the Quake marine came back from his walk in the "neighborhood" (ya go read the docs ) and found his base destroyed he grabbed that axe and a gun.
    The axe coulda been like a fireman axe or from the other dimension. I think id'Soft needed a melee weapon, since DukeNukem had fists.. and a shovel was too WWII.
    It woulda been cool to see the marine wake up at a base that was overrun with grunts, kinda like CastleWolfenstein.... Hmm quake prequel idea??
    Heck where did ogres get the chainsaw!?? Nothing makes sense of Quake. It is what it is...

CapnBubs, your marine is looking nice! Most modern engines can handle more polygons. Baseline would be FitzQuake. If it works for that then should work for the rest.
    Qrack can handle
    MAXALIASVERTS 4096
    MAXALIASFRAMES 256
    MAXALIASTRIS 8192
    Last edited by R00k; 03-19-2013, 03:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• capnbubs
    replied
    Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
    Given that the player already has it in the start map, and at the beginning of e*m1, I think it has to be of human origin. The original skin also hints at it being all-metal.

But tbh in all likelihood the guys at id just thought it was cool for him to have an axe, or it was an extension of the previous Thor-like character idea (they do give you Mjolnir in the expansion pack), so it's moot to try and analyze it.

It doesn't really matter I guess.
    Yea I doubt much thought really went into it originally, I thought it was square to keep the poly count down but I guess it could have been intentional.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X