No announcement yet.

Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe I'm imagining them but I can see eyes on the shambler too...
    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

• You gotta look real close....see?

'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

• @dutch
        hahaha awww you beat me to it!

i was going to post that exact same pic
        when i saw the message about the fiend's eyes

either way, to add to what was being said, on this particular pic you can clearly see the fiend's eyes:

they're small and beady, but the fiend definitely has eyes

btw another random tid-bit of info... the inspiration for quake's fiend's is lovecraft's ghast:
        Last edited by talisa; 12-13-2016, 06:05 AM.
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Oh, I think I see them now! Man, they have quite a nice color to them!

Didn't know about the inspiration, that is really cool. I have to get back into reading more Lovecraft...
          Soundtracks and Instrumentals
          MyMusic | Youtube

Comment

• @ghast -
            so my "fiend" model is actually closer to the "original" with clawed feet.
            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• Let's truthfully answer the fiend eye question once and for all. The answer is:

Ultimately

The texture for the fiend includes a little eyeless chunk. We can only surmise that at least at one point it was being considered to make it blind.

OR

It was being considered to give him black eyes. I'm opining against this one though cause the guys at Id had to know that with so much black leading into the eyes it would look like sockets. Those 2 dots that could be considered glare would be completely indistinguishable on the model.
              Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-14-2016, 02:39 AM.

Comment

• Here, have a no eyed fiend

I just cut that little chunk out and put it over the spot it belonged. I used QME and completely replaced the original texture. In doing so I also realized that they played with that spot a bit. There is a very obvious rectangle on the fiends face where they were patching in ideas.

I hit outline on my patch-in of the no eye part. That's the orange box. It's obvious they were just dumping their own rectangular ideas there and not too worried if it really matched. I can't unsee it. Now there is this obvious rectangle on his face.
                Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-14-2016, 03:18 AM.

Comment

• @ghast

A monster based on that picture would be pretty cool, and creepy as hell.

@gypsy

there are a lot of seemingly last-minute, tacked-together things in quake. IIRC, their launch date deadline was approaching faster than they could make quality art work. They spent too much time ironing out the engine.

But yeah, I vote those are (supposed to be) eyes.

Comment

• I thought JC worked on the engine alone? The rest of the team was the mappers, modelers and artists.

Comment

• @gypsy
                      well... the fiends are originally described as having hooved kangaroo-like legs...

Ghasts

After a moment something about the size of a small horse hopped out into the grey twilight, and Carter turned sick at the aspect of that scabrous and unwholesome beast,
                      whose face is so curiously human despite the absence of a nose, a forehead, and other important particulars.
                      —H. P. Lovecraft, The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath

The ghasts are a race of fearsome humanoids that live in the vaults of Zin. They are much larger than a man and have a vaguely human face, albeit missing a nose. Their skin is rough and knotty. Their senses are unusually acute; they can see inand gruesom the dark and have a strong sense of smell. They hop about on a pair of hooved, kangaroo-like legs, and are swift, strong, and agile. They have also been described as lacking a forehead. Ghasts prefer to dwell in complete darkness and have no tolerance for natural light — sunlight will kill them instantly. Otherwise, the dim, pale glow of the underworld seems to cause them little harm.

The ghasts are aggressive carnivores and often hunt in packs, though they are quick to turn cannibalistic when no game is readily available. They prey mostly on the gugs, but have no qualms about eating other denizens of the underworld. Their method of attack is particularly savage e, rending and tearing apart their victims with their muzzles, paws, and hoofed feet.

going by that info, ID's depiction is quite spot-on.

from the hooved kangaroo-like legs and lack of forehead,
                      and things like being found in packs often and that they can often be found in dark areas,
                      just like how they are described as hunting in packs and being able to see well in the dark
                      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• @bfg

You're probably right. I remember reading they were coming down to crunch time though. And someone was quoted as saying "just throw some doom weapons in there". Lol. I guess it was supposed to be swords and shit originally.

I'll have to find that article again. It was a good read.

Comment

• Yeah, Quake was much more fantasy-oriented at first. If you can find that article, please post a link. I'd like to read it.

Comment

• In its early stages, it was a Lovecraft D&D amalgamation based on their campaign they played during the development of Commander Keen.

Qtalk from 1995, during the development of Quake

Those screenshots mentioned in the file make me wonder if Quake would've been able to run as a hi-poly Super FX game on the SNES. I don't think it had that kind of power, but that would've been cool to see.

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

• I tested the Shambler HD Remake on DirectQ which enabled interpolation on all models by default and I found that it actually looks better if his lightning attack retains interpolation rather than reject it. Using r_lerpmodels 2 on Quakespasm has the only downside of making muzzle flashes look weird.

Test Video
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpF6rDhq4VY

Is it possible to exclude it from a nolerp list or does it have to be modded?
                              Last edited by QuakePone; 01-01-2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• I just wanted to pop my head in here and say that I think this is a pretty sweet project. I love the idea of preserving the original visuals of the game but removing some of those rough-around-the-edges problems that the models have. Keep up the good work everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X