No announcement yet.

Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It works now. To make sure it won't cause issues with some ports, I have named the frames. While doing that, I noticed that the second animation (shake) has a lot more frames than the original. Ingame it looks weird since the model seems frozen for quite a while. Deleting those unnecessary frames fixed it.

Data from the original oldone.mdl for comparison:
    - Animation "old" has 46 frames (old1-old46)
    - Animation "shake" has 20 frames (shake1-shake20)

Maybe the skin could also be darker in general.
    Authentic Models Pack
    OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
    LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

• well ive got to say that Im using quakespasm and have not noticed any of these anim issues in game.
      but I know theres a lot of different engine ports so I guess this is needed.

as for the skin colour.
      its true is a tiny bit brighter but there are good reasons.
      its down to the quake pallete giving limitations. when scaling the tone of the skin in the strict pallete you get some very stange and ugly artifacts happening as you change the tonal range around. this was the closest I could get it without starting to loose detail in the darker regions where the pallete simply replaced several colours for the same dark one (as it just doesnt contain enough colour variants to replace them with).
      with the colourscheme of this monster, there was an extremely small window for what colours would work and what would not. its not always that way in the quake pallete but this time it was.
      too much slider left and it all goes greeny brown. too much t'other way and it gets pink. not enough either way and you just loose depth of detail (as explained above).
      in the end I had to diffuse the whole skin, post alteration, just to keep any real detail in it at all...

But, take the "face" area.
      This is taken directly from the skin of the original shub model and (apart from some extensive stretching, skewing and mspaint pixel punching) its all the original colours.
      Now, that matches with my altered teamonster skin so Im satisfied with it.

however the tentacle and other bits are mapped very differently (also part of why it works so well) from the original oldone model so portng these parts over for continuity is a no-no.

essentially, as far as I can see, I think Ive taken this as far as I can where classic-reinterpretation goes.
      its a compromise I was happy to make. miniscule colour difference against loss of detail was a no-brainer for me...

Comment

• In general, the model is really good and if you say it's the way you intended it, I am buying it.

For a new release I still think it's too little, though. It'd be thrilling to see TM do maybe a bit more, possibly one or several easier entries of the to-do list I mentioned earlier. That DoE zombie for example just needs a few additional animation frames, no need to create a new model.
        Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• absolutely.
          TM's a real legend for throwing this out the park.
          I too would love to see more from him for quake...
          Hell, I'd settle for anything by anyone in trms of quake models! its real exciting to see anything happen fore Quake at all these days! LOL

Comment

• Hi, I've come out of lurk mode to try to help nudge this great project on a bit.

Chillo released models for the tarbaby and fish in his model collection a while back. AFAIK the models are complete, but need new skins.
            I'm not sure if the fish is close enough to the original to be considered, but the tarbaby is quite nice IMHO...

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/mod..._beta_v1.7.zip

DOE includes a player model with an extra skin (can be seen in the last demo), capnbubs player model is not compatible with these skins, but his earlier version was, and Akira made a small fix to it and released a version with all the FvF skins included.

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/mod..._capbub_fvf.7z

I have replaced these skins with the DOE ones already, if you want it I can post it up somewhere. Another option would be to remake the skin for the newer player model...

The Plague DM model collection has replacement base keycards, they look a bit different, but are much nicer.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~plaguespak/

Comment

• yeah I do remember those early chillo models. the tarbaby I felt added very little in terms of models so I never bothered to reskin it... and the fish... yeeeeah. I wanted to? I tried to. I failed to... LOL

its not at all a bad model but I struggled like buggery to alter the old skin to fit it without it looking an atrocious mess... I gave up shortly after...

Comment

• Chillo's Tarbaby is most likely missing more than just a proper skin. The explosion also isn't working right IIRC. Anyway, Tarbaby and Fish are two of those models that probably won't make a big difference if they get remade. Tarbabies move too fast for you to ever get a good look at them and the fish is small.

b_g_key.mdl and b_s_key.mdl from Plague's pak look usable in general, but might require minor model and also skin edits (there is a part in the middle of the texture which shouldn't be there and the skin is too dark). Again, those are rather small models - bigger ones are listed higher on our to-do list.
                Last edited by NightFright; 01-12-2021, 03:10 AM.
                Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• however, that being, said I took on your previous offer and gave it a go...
                  file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/kxphp...eskin.zip/file
                  pic: https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/1b...drq0zfuxzg.jpg

the model, indeed, has an extra 'crossbar' modelled on thats not on the original model skin, as such Ive included two variants for each basekey. one with new crossbar painted on the skin and one without. delete whichever you dislike from the model. unless you can edit that part of the model away, then in that case the skin without the bar will be perfect.
                  for now, I'm using the one with the crossbar as it makes more sense visually and its such a small added detail it doesn't exactly wreck the authenticity much... up to you I suppose...
                  anyway they are here if you want them...
                  Last edited by osjclatchford; 01-12-2021, 03:54 AM.

Comment

• LOL, I was working on the keycards. Yours look great.

Comment

• If you can still make that bar physically disappear to make the transition perfect, nobody will object for sure.

(I still wonder how even simple edits like removing small parts from a model are possible, even if there is only one animation frame. Quake model editors like QuArK look like Chinese to me.)
                      Last edited by NightFright; 01-12-2021, 07:04 AM.
                      Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• Well I tried to remove it and stretch whats left in qme to fill the resultant hole but its fucking impossible to get the vectors to line up poperly. too many angles.

@teamonster, when you say working on the keycards did you mean your own model or making new skins for plagues model as I have?

if its a new model lets have a look!

if not, I dont suppose you could get rid of that top 'crossbar' thats bugging NightFright and I on the plague model?
                        that way we can use my classic skin (with no crossbar) without it looking a bit of a fudge...
                        Last edited by osjclatchford; 01-12-2021, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• osj's skin edits are really good as usual. Still I'd like to avoid "painting" over existing model parts to hide them (see Vore titties, something that also still needs to be addressed).
                          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• Mine was a new model using the old skin. This is VERY WIP. Lots of optimization and fixing to do.

BTW - Does anyone know of an AI upscale pack for the map textures?

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Looks good so far! Great that you are willing to make the effort to create an all-new model for this purpose. It's a simple one if you know what you are doing, I guess.

I have not checked it out by myself until now, but there seems to be a Quake upscale pack made by "The Awesome Sponge", whoever that is. I also don't know which upscale method was used. After taking a quick glance at the textures provided, it seems it's going for a more cartoonish look. In general, this means: No, there is no properly made upscale pack for the game until now.

My suggestion would be to create a manual 2x upscale for this skin to make it look a bit more sophisticated. I tried to run the silver key skin through a website that provides WAIFU2X upscaling. The result seems to be very good actually - see attachment. Conversion screws up the original palette, however. I also don't know if it's actually possible to use skins bigger than the original size.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by NightFright; 01-12-2021, 10:09 AM.
                              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• Originally posted by Tea Monster View Post
                                Mine was a new model using the old skin. This is VERY WIP. Lots of optimization and fixing to do.

BTW - Does anyone know of an AI upscale pack for the map textures?
                                yep thats all kind of awesome. more please!

Comment

Working...
                                X