No announcement yet.

Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went looking for a level that I could enjoy all your effort with capnbubs,
    and I found one. At Quaddicted of course! It hass lotsa lotsa doggie's and
    grunt's, to frag Anyone who hasn't played this... you NEED to, NOW

Dead Memories by Scampie

Enjoying the hell outta both right now. I never in my life thought I'd ever
    play Quake again, but with all the super cool schtuff that gets created it's
    amazing. Thanks for creating, and sharing your model updates.
    - damage_
    Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

• Hey great job on these models!! I like the more expressive animations for both of them and I really like the new touches you added to the grunt like the gun being dropped and bouncing on the ground. Also the dog is a huge improvement over the original one (which had broken skin mapping) and looks fantastic in it's animations.

Comment

• capnbubs: I don't know what's more awesome: your models, or that someone is using my addon to create something so awesome . And yeah, you did a fantastic job on those 6 frames.

bluntz: about the dragon, is that the one from qtest1? I just checked and it imports fine for me. Just what problems were you having? For reference, here's the md5 sum of the file I tested:
        54477ee31928c45e2e5d7589381fa360 dragon.mdl

Yes, the dragon model is a different format: the mdl version is 3, but mdl.py supports reading it (it won't write version 3 mdl files because nothing usable uses it).

For anybody worried about vertex wobble: if you use QuakeForge, you can set the "16-bit" option in the object panel in blender and then export. The vertex data will then be 16-bit rather than 8 (that's the only effect of the option).

Comment

• Nice result!
          Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

• Originally posted by taniwha View Post
            capnbubs: I don't know what's more awesome: your models, or that someone is using my addon to create something so awesome . And yeah, you did a fantastic job on those 6 frames.
            Thank you! If it wasn't for QuakeForge I don't think I would have even started this project!

Comment

• very nice anim.

The rounded axe does look more medieval, while the original one looks more sci-fi. Matter of taste I guess.

Anyway, kudos for the nice work.
              Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

• TrenchBroom loads them just fine, too

Drop them in id1/progs and TB will pick them up automatically.

Comment

• player model looks really good so far bubs

@ deadtenor
                  oh... yeah i forgot to mention that you also need to have a dog.mdl_0 texture present in your progs folder.
                  forgot to mention that cuz for me that was the first thing i did when i added capnbubs new dog to my quake, copy the texture to the progs folder and rename it to dog.mdl_0

if darkplaces doesnt find a texture for a monster or item in progs folder, all other maps are ignored by the engine and not loaded
                  are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                  > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                  everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Originally posted by capnbubs View Post
                    Are there many people like myself who would like a model update that fits in with the original aesthetic?
                    Yes! Please.

We at I3D are following your updates with great interest. I'd suggest you to replace the original skins with your own versions as soon as possible (maybe some 2D artist reading this thread may want to help ?) to avoid any chance of legal problems (and also because these models do deserve more detailed skins). I like how these models are far better than the originals without breaking the game visual identity.

Good work!

Comment

• i started a thread over there: Inside3d Forums &bull; View topic - New Quake assets... pointing to this thread... incase you dont know what I3D is..
                      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

• Originally posted by R00k View Post
                        i started a thread over there: Inside3d Forums &bull; View topic - New Quake assets... pointing to this thread... incase you dont know what I3D is..
                        Thanks! I signed up so I could post over there but I have to wait until my account is authenticated.

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                        The rounded axe does look more medieval, while the original one looks more sci-fi. Matter of taste I guess.
                        I always thought that the quake guy had found that axe in one of the the alternate dimensions, I didn't think it would be standard issue to give their soldiers axes.

Originally posted by SleepwalkR View Post
                        Drop them in id1/progs and TB will pick them up automatically.
                        That is really neat!

As to the question of poly count that cropped up on the I3d forum, I'm not really counting polys at all, just adding them wherever I think the lack of detail hurts my personal view of the model. I don't know what the limits on .mdl files are but I am trying not to give unnecessary detail. As an example I have added some extra form to the helmet of the player because in Coop I tend to spend enough time close to my friends to notice that, I didn't do the same with the grunt however because I don't usually study them from close enough to actually see that kind of detail during normal gameplay. These are the kind of things I take into consideration when deciding if a particular part of the mesh needs more detail, basically how much screen space it is likely to get during a normal game.

Last edited by capnbubs; 03-19-2013, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• I didn't think it would be standard issue to give their soldiers axes.
                          Given that the player already has it in the start map, and at the beginning of e*m1, I think it has to be of human origin. The original skin also hints at it being all-metal.

But tbh in all likelihood the guys at id just thought it was cool for him to have an axe, or it was an extension of the previous Thor-like character idea (they do give you Mjolnir in the expansion pack), so it's moot to try and analyze it.

It doesn't really matter I guess.
                          Scout's Journey
                          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

• Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                            Given that the player already has it in the start map, and at the beginning of e*m1, I think it has to be of human origin. The original skin also hints at it being all-metal.

But tbh in all likelihood the guys at id just thought it was cool for him to have an axe, or it was an extension of the previous Thor-like character idea (they do give you Mjolnir in the expansion pack), so it's moot to try and analyze it.

It doesn't really matter I guess.
                            Yea I doubt much thought really went into it originally, I thought it was square to keep the poly count down but I guess it could have been intentional.

Comment

• I thought the axe might have been just an artists replacement for the thor hammer. Square top, metal handle. But looking at original skin, the handle is wood with blood on it.

The qtest skin didnt even have an axe...
                              It's possible that the Quake marine came back from his walk in the "neighborhood" (ya go read the docs ) and found his base destroyed he grabbed that axe and a gun.
                              The axe coulda been like a fireman axe or from the other dimension. I think id'Soft needed a melee weapon, since DukeNukem had fists.. and a shovel was too WWII.
                              It woulda been cool to see the marine wake up at a base that was overrun with grunts, kinda like CastleWolfenstein.... Hmm quake prequel idea??
                              Heck where did ogres get the chainsaw!?? Nothing makes sense of Quake. It is what it is...

CapnBubs, your marine is looking nice! Most modern engines can handle more polygons. Baseline would be FitzQuake. If it works for that then should work for the rest.
                              Qrack can handle
                              MAXALIASVERTS 4096
                              MAXALIASFRAMES 256
                              MAXALIASTRIS 8192
                              Last edited by R00k; 03-19-2013, 02:12 PM.
                              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

• thanks for the the new hi-poly but still low-poly soldier and especialy for the the dog. original qdog is horrible even with fragger or reforged skins. this new one is a big improvement.
                                -
                                soldier works with hires skins such as reforged but the dog doesn't. is it just me or is the dog model incompatible with existing hires skins?
                                -
                                anyway.. i like this new models much more than the md3 model - e.g. all md3 shamblers look like plastic toys. these models do not and that's good. thanks.
                                -
                                jakub
                                my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
                                Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
                                Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

Working...
                                X