Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cool, cant wait to see your new dog model
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
      cool, cant wait to see your new dog model
      I'm "seconded" that, BIG TIME
      Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

really amazing that ID seriously shipped something as horribly mapped as the dog in the state it is in
        I was pondering some things along these lines just yesterday. Actually, this thread was what made me ponder it. I was looking at the grunts legs thinking "would 10 more polys have crippled the budget?" - then it hit me - We are all used to seeing Quake clearly at a higher resolution. We can see all the "nasty" and ugly of the original models. However when the game first came out it was quite a bit more pixelated and I think ID used that to their advantage.

- "All our models are top-heavy, walking on pins"
        Carmack -"Doesn't matter, everything is going to look like shit anyway. It's not the future yet."
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

yeah, originally when quake came out 320x240 was standard, and at such a low resolution you of course wouldnt be able to see how horrible the models actually looked

and yeah its quite possible ID used that to their advantage to be able to ship some of the horribly mapped models like the dog, cuz people wouldnt be able to notice they looked like shit anyway cuz of how pixelated everything looked anyway at 320x240

just for fun tested in dosbox, setting in-game resolution to 320x240.
          at that low resolution, you dont notice a thing of how horrible the models look.
          they mightve just as well been sprites instead of models, cuz thats how little detail you can see on the models at 320x240 resolution, even when looking at them close-up you can see hardly any detail at all

EDIT: some pics to show. make sure to click the bar at top to see pics at full res so you can really see how awefully pixely it looks. they are upscaled using pixel resize, no filtering of any kind. this is really how quake looked at 320x240

grunt up close. even when you stand right up in his face like this you can only barely make out his legs are square by looking at the top-edge of his boots

grunt from 2 meters away. ermagerd wtf... look at what happened to his face already from this close distance at 320x240

dog up close... same thing... even right in his face you cant see much detail at all, and the horrible texturing on it? not visible at all cuz of how pixely the view is

dog from 2meters away. wow... just wow.. thats all i can say.. you can barely even see its supposed to be a dog from this short distance at 320x240 resolution
          Last edited by talisa; 03-16-2013, 08:34 PM.
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Just a quick progress update, here is a WIP shot of the new dog model.

The texture is a 256 by 256 image so it's nice and small, still loads of detail visible on the model.
            Last edited by capnbubs; 03-16-2013, 09:46 PM.

Comment

HOLY F**K WOW! I truly like how you "recapture" the flavor of quake but yet update it so perfectly Well done man, truly. - damage_
              Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

EDIT: DAMN... I really (really) hope that you can "upgrade" the entire set of Quake creatues, man.
                Sorry if my english isn't clear, is not my native languaje.

Comment

originally when quake came out 320x240 was standard
                  That's why that's the resolution I run it in
                  Seriously, I do.

I really (really) hope that you can "upgrade" the entire set of Quake creatues, man.
                  Me too! Please do.
                  That rhymes, which means you have to
                  The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.
                  - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Holy f**k, great work dude. I luv it !

Comment

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                      yeah, originally when quake came out 320x240 was standard, and at such a low resolution you of course wouldnt be able to see how horrible the models actually looked

and yeah its quite possible ID used that to their advantage to be able to ship some of the horribly mapped models like the dog, cuz people wouldnt be able to notice they looked like shit anyway cuz of how pixelated everything looked anyway at 320x240
                      What the hell? You diss Quake for what it originally looks like? If you haven't played it like that and let your imagination fill the rest then maybe that is why you guys like playing it looking like shit but in ULTRA HD!!!11

capnbubs: The dog's eyes look way too human.
                      Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

well it was rushed, and yeah, if the player can't run it at 1024x768, they're not gonna notice some things.

They did have some pretty unusually big monitors at id at the time, though, so they would definitely have noticed it themselves.

If their machines were able to render a dog model in fullscreen, that is... which I don't know.

Also, the general standard was just pretty low. The models of Tomb Raider (released same year) are probably even lower poly, so Quake's models might have been high poly at the time (for games - not for something like Star Trek that used high poly Lightwave models for its spaceships at the same time).
                        Scout's Journey
                        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

wows amazing work capnbubs
                          that dog looks really good, totally love it

agree with spirit though on the eyes looking to human-ish

dogs have a lot smaller eyes in comparison, and dogs dont frown their eyes in the same way like humans do

but the model looks brilliant! really good job

@spirit
                          yes i am saying there are a couple things about some of the models which look horrible.
                          ID rushed the hell out of quake and the models arent of the quality we all are used to from ID cuz of that.

also, im not saying the game itself looks like shit... but cmon for real...
                          just look at the dog for example and try and tell me that doesnt look like shit, or the awesome square block-head from the ogre.
                          with just a poly extra at front to make the ogres head be pentagonal like the players head it wouldve looked a lot less horrible.

also, textures look great for how low-res they are, and the map-design is great too. even though there are some bugs like obvious Z-fighting in some parts of some maps and there are some mis-aligned textures in some parts of maps. but again, that all has too do with the fact ID rushed the hell outta quake and thus didnt take the time to make everything be up to their standard high quality we are used to from ID

also, i have played original quake in dosbox and the game is just as much fun that way as it is with all the hi-poly models, textures, remade effect and extra features added in seven's SMC. although i prefer HD cuz it just looks a looot better.

lastly, about the 'wow this looks bad at this low resolution from just this short distance', i was just joking about that.
                          i just meant you couldnt see any detail at all like that, and i wrapped that up in a joke.

ive grown up with 320x240 too myself, and even lower. with consoles like nes and even atari2600 with its amazing resolution of 160x192, where everything litterally just looked like a bunch of ginormous pixels. so for real, im not bashing at low resolutions, i just merely meant to say that you cant see any detail at all at that low resolution and thus you cant see the flaws of the original ID models of quake
                          Last edited by talisa; 03-17-2013, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                            capnbubs: The dog's eyes look way too human.
                            I redesigned the eye area this morning, it looks a lot more dog like now.

Comment

dogs have a lot smaller eyes in comparison, and dogs dont frown their eyes in the same way like humans do
                              It's a demon dog, they look like that
                              Seriously, we have demons and chainsaw ogres running around in this game. I don't mind the dogs having a bit "humanish" facial features...
                              The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.
                              - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

great, eyes already looks a loot better like that bubs.

try perhaps making them a little bit smaller though? the shape of them looks good but they look kinda big-ish mebbe. just an idea. dunno if itll look better, but it might look better if eyes are just a lil bit smaller i feel when looking at it

Comment

Working...
                                X