Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome!
    Blender makes it so much better being able to do most if not all the work in one tool now.What version are you using? What plugins do you use for the i/o ?
    I use 2.49b mostly but use the newer builds more and more since the Quakeforge plugins were updated to work with 2.6.
    I do not see a .blend file in the download though,please update it to include one so everyone can join the party.
    WARNING
    May be too intense for some viewers.
    Stress Relief Device
    ....BANG HEAD HERE....
    ---------------------------
    .--------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by bluntz View Post
      Awesome!
      Blender makes it so much better being able to do most if not all the work in one tool now.What version are you using? What plugins do you use for the i/o ?
      I use 2.49b mostly but use the newer builds more and more since the Quakeforge plugins were updated to work with 2.6.
      I do not see a .blend file in the download though,please update it to include one so everyone can join the party.
      Alright I'll add the blend file in later today.

I'm using the latest version with the quakeforge tools. I do everything apart from texture painting in blender, I use a program called 3D coat for the texture painting. I paint in high resolution first and then drop it down to the desired resolution.

Comment

I think the dog works better than the grunt, just due to the skin being repainted. Nice job on the skin by the way, it looks 'authentic'. Using the skin of the original grunt is great for modding purposes, but I think you should do a re-paint like you did with the dog to get rid of the pixelation.

Don't be afraid to up the poly count slightly. You could define the character a bit more, and not have to have thousands of polys, normal maps, etc, etc. It should still run like lightning on modern machines.

I remember when Quake first came out, I noticed that the monsters had this 'origami' look to them. There was a whole debate going on as to whether games like Doom and Duke Nukem had 'better' graphics with sprites than models could provide. Even for the time, the graphics were pixellated and blocky. The main selling point for Quake graphics was that it was 'really there' as opposed to a sprite.

The low res graphics were a function of the time. A lot of people were trying to play the game on 486s.

Comment

that looks very good!
          Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

that dog looks a lot more scary now.
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

It is almost not true
              Where have you been all the time capnbubs ?

Your right sense for Quake and your speed of work makes me believe that we have a new set of monsters by the end of next week

Your dog is looking great in the second screen.
              I´d suggest to leave the eyes as they are. If you make them smaller they might become unseeable.

You really hit this forum like a lightning by having these ideas and bringing the right sense and skills with you.

I will follow this thread for sure. Looking forward to what you reveal next...

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                Your right sense for Quake and your speed of work makes me believe that we have a new set of monsters by the end of next week

Your dog is looking great in the second screen.
                I´d suggest to leave the eyes as they are. If you make them smaller they might become unseeable.
                Hah it'll be a bit longer than that, I do have to work during the week!

I will keep the eyes this size, I tried a bit smaller and it looks a lot less threatening.

Originally posted by Tea Monster View Post
                Don't be afraid to up the poly count slightly. You could define the character a bit more, and not have to have thousands of polys, normal maps, etc, etc. It should still run like lightning on modern machines.
                Because I'm animating them using a skeleton I could easily edit the models to add more polygons and detail, perhaps when I'm finished doing the monsters I may create higher poly versions that bring out more of the detail in actual geometry.

Comment

Originally posted by capnbubs View Post
                  Hah it'll be a bit longer than that, I do have to work during the week!

I will keep the eyes this size, I tried a bit smaller and it looks a lot less threatening.

Because I'm animating them using a skeleton I could easily edit the models to add more polygons and detail, perhaps when I'm finished doing the monsters I may create higher poly versions that bring out more of the detail in actual geometry.
                  You will have far less stretching of the textures and better results by bumping up the polys.Just don't go over the spec for .mdl.
                  I am having no luck importing the dragon,guess iD used something different on it.
                  WARNING
                  Stress Relief Device
                  ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

Originally posted by bluntz View Post
                    You will have far less stretching of the textures and better results by bumping up the polys.Just don't go over the spec for .mdl.
                    I am having no luck importing the dragon,guess iD used something different on it.
                    Bumping up the polys won't really make much difference for stretching of the textures, that is a result of iDs planar texture mapping. I do plan to repaint the textures for all the monsters like I did with the dog eventually and that should almost eliminate the texture stretching but I want to finish the models for all the monsters before I do that.

I've added the soldier blend file to the Zip in the first post, here is a link to it so you don't have to go back there to grab it if you want it.

Soldier Model with .Blend

Comment

Pretty please!

"This is a XXXXXXXXXX.
                      It was created by capnbubs, 2013-03-XX

To make Quake use it put it into your YYYYYYY.

This is based on the original model by id Software.

To make changes the workflow is ZZZZZZZZZZZZ."

> AuthenticUpdate-Soldier.txt

Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

nice dog!
                        My Avatars!
                        Quake Leagues
                        Quake 1.5!!!
                        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by capnbubs View Post
                          Bumping up the polys won't really make much difference for stretching of the textures, that is a result of iDs planar texture mapping. I do plan to repaint the textures for all the monsters like I did with the dog eventually and that should almost eliminate the texture stretching but I want to finish the models for all the monsters before I do that.

I've added the soldier blend file to the Zip in the first post, here is a link to it so you don't have to go back there to grab it if you want it.

Soldier Model with .Blend
                          Thank you!
                          Keep up the good work.
                          WARNING
                          Stress Relief Device
                          ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

The dog is all rigged and ready for animating!

Will try and animate him tonight, will see how it goes.

Just to clarify, the reason I am working with this fairly low number of polygons is because I feel like there should be a kind of synergy between the world and the characters that inhabit it, this makes the game more compelling for me and helps to make it more immersive.

To me this amount of detail on the characters feels right for the detail of the levels they are seen in. There are other reasons too, such as ease of rigging and animation, but the main reason is that it's simply a stylistic choice on how I prefer Quake to look.

Comment

wows great work bubs

your new dog looks seriously scary in that pic!
                              really great work on making the dog look dangerous and scary

and not cute and malformed like the original ID model

cant wait to till you completely animated it and to be able to see it in-game

also... might i say its amazing how fast you work
                              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                                wows great work bubs

your new dog looks seriously scary in that pic!
                                really great work on making the dog look dangerous and scary

and not cute and malformed like the original ID model

cant wait to till you completely animated it and to be able to see it in-game

also... might i say its amazing how fast you work
                                Thanks, I guess I just get really into things!

The animating is coming along quite fast because I'm basically copying the frames that iD created for the original model and then tweaking them a bit to my own tastes.

Comment

Working...
                                X